November 2004 City Council Candidates Discussion

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
November

November 2004 City Council Candidates Discussion

Post by November »

Have you all decided who you are going to vote for? I am sure that this whole WalMart issue has opened a lot of eyes and changed a lot of minds. It sure has mine...
napaseller
Historian
Historian

INTRODUCTION NEW CANDIDATES

Post by napaseller »

i attended a forum this morning at the american canyon comfort inn that was sponsored by an amer cyn business group where 6 of the candidates showed up; bill russell, pastor morris curry, don callison, ray marcus, barbara (?) and the incumbent mayor.
the group compiled several questions and each candidate had 2 minutes to respond.
of all, i was most impressed with don callison, who also voted no on the "walmart" proposal. but, besides that, he appeared to be progressive in his outlook for amer cyn and had some interesting prospects as to what was really needed to stimulate our growth and income. bill russell's main agenda is manufactured housing but he is also concerned with the traffic and how residents could get around amer cyn safely by foot, bicycle and even by auto.
although pastor curry had some progressive ideas about development in the business sector, and he certainly has initiated a great deal in amer cyn, i don't know him well enough to know and i am against religion in government.
a new comer, barbara (?) certainly has some quality credentials but i didn't hear much from her except rhetoric about growth in amer cyn.
i was sorry that joan bennett, who is in bosnia, and cindy coffee weren't there. i know joan from friends of the library and she was one of the original council members when amer cyn incorporated. but i don't know her intentions. i know cindy has some positive ideas for change but i would have liked to hear more from her.
how am i going to vote? the jury is still out on that, but definitely for the KERRY/EDWARDS ticket.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

UPCOMING CANDIDATES

Post by napaseller »

the other day i made comments about a meeting i attended on tuesday morning introducing some of the new candidates for city council. i failed in giving the corrrect name of brenda knight (i had put barbara (?)
brenda is a newcomer to american canyon but she is not a newcomer to working with groups. she was a former trustee for peralta college for many years. not in attendance were sam reyes or paul maguire.
4 yr resident here 2 stay

Post by 4 yr resident here 2 stay »

I am gathering information on the City Council Candidates to make sure I make the right choice. I know for a fact I am not voting for Lori, Ray or Don. I need something on the others. I can't seem to find anything except on Cindy. Any resources that you all know of online or otherwise? Thanks so much!
napaseller
Historian
Historian

REMINDER

Post by napaseller »

<b><u>A Candidate's Forum will be held on October 19, 2004 </b></u>at the Recreation Center, 2185 Elliott Drive.

ALSO, anyone not wanting WalMart in the city...it's time to make your VOICE HEARD. COUNCIL MEETING Thursday, 10/21/04. There's still time to show your discontent.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

CLUELESS, CINDY COFFEY IS NOT

Post by napaseller »

I have talked with, and listened to Cindy and find her to be an exuberant, committed individual interested in working towards the good of American Canyon. She has been a tireless worker for what she believes in and I believe she will listen to the residents and act to the best of her ability. After watching our present council at work last week, I believe we need some new representatives.
She gets my vote!
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TUESDAY, NOV 2ND
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

I could not agree with you more that we need new representatives. Cindy Coffey certainly seems tireless and commited to the betterment of Am Can.

I, too, was at the last City Council meeting and profoundly disappointed at what I heard & saw. The status quo that has existed in this town needs to be challenged and changed!

Post by Guest »

You're both clueless!!!!

not clueless but dedicated

Post by guest »

I have read your postings in the Napa Register and in the Eagle. When this election is over so will your pathetic 15 minutes of fame.

What you and your group don't understand is that everything you do, say, threaten, and mail has been documented. Oh and those flyers your group were passing out tonight let's just say not cool.

It is pathetic to think you can do a smear campaign because you think you are going to get the Wal-Mart. Guess again. The group that you are part of that meets at the local tool renter barely gets 10 people to show. The privately held anti-superstore meetings always exceed 100+.

You seem to have a load of time on your hands so why not do a little digging and educate yourself about the community devastation of having a Supercenter in a small town, both environmentally and economically. Nobody is saying you can't shop there it just doesn't work here. But then if you took the time to LEARN SOMETHING and not be led you would know that!

Every day I meet more and more people who are so disgusted by the minority group of Lori supporters behavior that they are voting for Cindy just to spite you. Hey we will take the votes anyway we can get them. Although Cindy would prefer to talk to each and every one of them.

The winner of this campaign will be the individual who has run a good campaign, has endorsements, showed leadership with good presentation, they will be the one who has had the most community meetings, guest speaking engagements, and proved they are dedicated. Obviously if this is the case then Cindy Coffey clearly isn't clueless but effective and that is just what we need on City Council. VOTE CINDY COFFEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 Post subject: Grow up old AC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have lived in American Canyon my entire life. This community was at one time a family, a small town, proud of who we were and where we lived. Times have changed, our small town is growing, new neighbors are moving in. I would like to know what happened to the citizens of old Am Can? The ones that welcomed new neighbors and made them feel at home. Oh that's right there is only 2 or 3 of you left and you know who I'm talking about. EXCUSE ME! but there are alot more of us old AC out there. Who died and made you think (term used loosely) you spoke for us all. I can speak for my self and I say it is time for a change in our city government. We need someone who actually listens and when you ask a question you get an answer. I want this community to be a family again. The only way to do that is to elect someone who wants the same. THAT PERSON IS CINDY COFFEY.
To the 2 or 3 of you out there that think you are Am Can, GROW UP! Open your eyes "Change is coming".
CINDY COFFEY IS FOR THE COMMUNITY, OF THE COMMUNITY AND SOON TO BE BY THE COMMUNITY!
VOTE FOR CINDY COFFEY NOV.2ND ]
Sherri

Linda is an uninformed troublemaker!

Post by Sherri »

Linda- I have had it with you find something constructive like debating on the issues...do you even know them? I don't beleive you do.
Luporini has been on the council for 8 years and in that eight years let's compare what she has done shall we?
Got a zip code- what about the other 4 members?
Got a post office- but now complains it's too small and understaffed once again this shows her lack of planning and looking at the big picture.
Got a Safeway and promised them to please take a loss and build a bigger store if you take a chance on us and we will be loyal and supportive to you. Yea until the paycheck from walmart was waved in front of her face.
Want's a High School--how long has that one been in the works? Too late Lori, your priorities are self serving and obvious, because if this was a priority then when Newel gave you the property for the high school you would have had an agreement done immediately instead of taking it for granted and back burning it and it would have been built by now. Instead we are bond loaded for school improvements that we aren't even getting the majority of the benefit from and looking at another to build a school that we have paid for 10 times over. Great leadership there!
And how about the fact that you claimed you didn't make any money at Lena's but yet you owned all those new cars, bred expensive cockatoos, dogs, owned llamas, horses, and a new 5th wheel trailer. Yet her husband works for the city in the water department on city wages. Now she has higher rent where she claims to be living and is working as a cosmetic sales rep at Macy's and still maintaining all of these payments in a city that you claim to not be able to afford to live in.......as they say..... follow the paper trail. Even her friends know what is up and have known for years, but now she is flaunting it. She has been seen wearing outfits that cost over $500.00 each in public. Isn't that a whole weeks salary? My suggestion to you Linda is stay with the issues because you will lose the character assasination debates. People are tired of them. Lori has done everybody in this town wrong including all of her cronies and then sucks up when she needs them, everybody is waking up. As for the honorable Mayor well let's see the last time she spoke of the city in public at her job 4 weeks ago she called everybody in american canyon "a bunch of as_ho_es". Now that is a real classy Mayor. Get over the snow job and quit trying to be popular all you are doing is alienating yourself from the community in ways people may never forget. Right now I have more important things to deal with than dealing with you, my rent is going up and I can't afford it. My neighbors and I are fighting our own battle and at least Cindy Coffey took the time to listen and offered assistance which is more than the city or the mayor all they did was put it over to a continuance. My park is supporting Cindy Coffey and Bill Russell. With that combination mobile home parks would be represented. Bill because he lives in one and Cindy because she cares about everybody being one community and not seperating the mobile homes as a substandard group.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

I am an un-informed troublemaker!

Post by Linda »

At the candidate's meeting the other evening, Cindy Coffey agreed that landlords should be able to raise rents. She actually said that.
Sherri

Post by Sherri »

Yes she did, in a negotiated passthrough for capital improvements. The current RSO states that already. Cindy Coffey feels the RSO should be rewritten as it is unclear and has may openings. That is why we have this problem.

She does not support blanket increases. She has extensive background knowledge from rent controlled apartments that she managed for the financially challenged. She is very concerned and had many good suggestions that would probably resolve this issue if she were in a meeting with the owner. However, she feels at this point we should fax our items to a referred atty. for the legal portion of our claim regarding the mailed list.

If my park owner did improvements above what I had when I moved in here, along with keeping out the crime and having responsible onsight management then asked if they could pass along a portion of those capital improvements for a limited time of course I would support that. I want where I live to be nice for my family and I. The most we would pay would be 5 to 10.00 per month for a short period of time and it would have to be a city and tenant approved improvement. Just because we reside in mobile homes does not mean we are unreasonable or difficult.

I saw the forum at my friends house. That is why 1 minute to reply is so difficult as most candidates had trouble doing it. Things get misunderstood. She didn't make any mistakes or say anything wrong. Now if support doesn't come thru to us or if the council is uncooperative then we have to become more vocal. Maybe she will need our help and we can be there. We are all residents of this community. Except for Bill she is the only one who addresses our needs or held a meeting inviting mobile home owners to meet with her. We support Cindy Coffey!
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Linda is an uninformed troublemaker

Post by Linda »

I feel that I must let you see exactly what I wanted to write the other day. As good as the chat room is the amount that you can type in one box is limited. One of the boxes stopped at the letter ....f this was not in reference to any name, in fact Ms Coffey did not mention an name in my hearing. So Sherri it must just be coincidence that she was speaking to an attorney with an "F" for a last name. Anyway this is what I wanted to say.
Last night I had the privilege of attending the city council meeting and I know that you should not listen to other people’s conversation but I was outside with my friend at break-time, Cindy Coffey had her back to me as she was speaking on her cell phone. She was complaining that the council members were only on the first item and had already taken a break. This woman in my opinion has no compassion; we had just sat and listen to the residents of Fairgrounds Mobile Estates explaining how worried they were because the rents were being raised. Some of the residents were being threatened with a rent rise of over 100% the council had brought this item forward for the benefit of the residents. The break was necessary as these good people were leaving the building. My opinion is that we need someone who will work on behalf of all the community, including people who live in rented accommodation. My opinion is that we do not want a council member to break the Brown Act. My opinion is we do not need someone who has difficulty organizing their own finances just think of the damage that could be done to the city coffers. My opinion is we do not want someone who makes the bullets and then gets someone else to fire the gun!
Janie L.

Learn the Truth

Post by Janie L. »

Since I personally know Cindy and usually don't become involved in this type of behavior, I can't let this one go by. I emailed your reply to her and asked her what the heck you are talking about. Since she refuses to stoop to this level of bantering, she told me and now I am going to tell you.

Since you were so good to eavesdrop apparently you weren't getting the whole picture. Yes she was helping the downed gentleman when the ambulance arrived, while asking the person on the phone to hold since the meeting was on a break after the first item.

She was also assisting other community members with their issues as well, but then you didn't get that. And as for the poor mobile home owners, she was speaking to another park manager who was running late and wanted to speak on that parks behalf, but never mind her attempting to contact a friend who is an attorney to assist the mobile home residents free of charge. But then that is how rumors get started. Right?

Hmmm, let's talk about the Brown Act shall we? Do you even know what it is? I don't think so, because if you did you would know that what an entire commission did and not just Cindy was sign their names as Commissioners and not Committee Members, this was determined by the Secretary of State to be a gray area of the Brown Act since the letter had nothing to do with city business. But then you didn't bother to ask because you are too ignorant to understand.

But there has been a Brown Act Violation it's called a serial brown act violation, look it up if you can figure it out. Just remember my dear friend that there is no statute of limitations on criminal activities, including graft.
As for her finances, well I know she paid cash for her new house, what do you owe? As for filing bankruptcy well I know it was over 6 years ago and as a result of her giving a green card holder like yourself an opportunity for a chance to own a business but instead they took advantage of her good nature. So who is left holding the bag.....the good citizen. As for the city coffers well I would trust them to somebody like Cindy rather than Lori who obviously has showed a complete disregard for the citizen's property and tax money and has used all of the above at her own personal discretion whenever possible.

Cindy has no secrets, and is very open about all facets of her life. She has showed American Canyon that she is persistant, diligent, and reliable. She started a local paper from scratch with no experience and it has grown to twice the size and 10 times the circulation of the local Echo which has been around for over 10 years. She has done this alone using interns from local colleges and high schools.

As for compassion, that's a good one. She always gives to local charities more than most, contributes time, is involved in the community, and is working with Friends of the Animals for a no kill shelter for American Canyon. She embraces all cultures of the community and includes them with plans or activities. She has so much compassion that the City had the best 10th Anniversary party ever and it was very well attended. In fact that is where I met her. She gives 250% to each and every cause that she takes on and nothing less is acceptable. That is why she is very selective about her causes as she refuses to join clubs just to join them unless she can participate without conflict.

I also know that prior to moving here she took in her son's friend who's parents were drug addicts while they went to court ordered rehab for 1 year, without money or compensation and continued to attend school conferences on his behalf until he graduated from high school. That was for 5 years during which time both parents overdosed and died. No I just don't see the compassion. Perhaps it is you without the compassion.

She organized the city in one week to make a stand against bad decision making and backroom politics. This was up against Wal-Mart's high paid political San Francisco public relations firm. I know she will be honest with the city and the paper gives her the vehicle that the city needs or has chosen not to use. I say no more shady deals, no more crap from the past on with the new. Did I mention that I thought Wal-Mart was a good deal too? That was until I read the information and saw the financial report put out by our own city and the developer. Call me a turn coat, but it's better than having a vacant store in the middle of our down town.

Cindy has a real problem with people insulting eachother. I know she feels it is counterproductive. That is one of her favorite words and if you knew her she uses it often. Take a look around even this website supports her and only her. Why do you think that is so? Could it be because she is the only one who supports the website and it's activities?

Look at other candidates/ I am sure you can find much more to pick on. Cindy has taken enough for the good of this community, now it's time to show our appreciation and vote for her on Tuesday.

trouble maker

Post by Guest »

People, at least Cindy spoke the truth of what she believes. Park owners should be allowed a fair profit. The prices of homes are in the 550,000. close to 600,000.00. The prices of mobilehomes have jumped way up also. Some in the 150,000.00 range even for a 1980 average is 75,000.00 to 85,000.00. Yet the rents don't increase. What is happening in Fairgrounds is not the same issue as the one that is before the city with the court case on the RSO. Fairgrounds is stating a failure to maintain the parks daily operation with the monies they are collecting. That will require an audit of there books to see if that is truely the case. THe other park owners are only wanting to raise the rents on houses that are selling to a fair rate. Which is 550.00 This does not mean the residents that are not selling their homes only those that sell. if you live in a mobilehome park you are welcome to come talk to me about this issue. Cindy is right the RSO does need to be re-written. It has for years, that is why the city we took ours from just lost their case in court it is now in the appeals stage, however it will probably stand even through the appeal. Why, because it is fair. Most of the park owners in A.C. are fair people. I know for a fact 2 of the parks did not even give a rent increase this year. Without going to the RSO or mediation.
I would much rather have a person on the council that speaks the truth then one who just tells us what we want to hear.
Look at the facts 5.4 million dollars goes to a police department that drives cars that say American Canyon, Uniforms that say American Canyon, heck we even have a cheif that is really a lieutenant. However It's all still Napa County Sheriff's. This was all done to keep the city residents quiet. Most think they are our own police department. Wrong they're county sheriff's.
Don't think there's a big difference look it up. And you decide.
I SUPPORT OUR MAYOR

VOTE!!!

Post by I SUPPORT OUR MAYOR »

VOTE LUPORINI FOR CITY COUNCIL!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!
acresident

What about Maguire?

Post by acresident »

I am voting for Cindy for sure. What about Maguire for a second choice? We have received several mailings from him, and from what I have read and heard, he seems to be the most likable and qualified.

Maguire is new to town, and we need some new blood, not the same old.
He is the only one that has had someone call me and ask me what I thought. That was a change. The interview in the Eagle sounded good and there was some new ideas for change.

None of the other candidates do much for me at all. The mayor needs to go. Russell doesn't have what it takes from watching him on TV, and was a bit aloof. Callison is part of the problem, as he was in charge during the Wal Mart debacle. Curry lost it for me when he said he came to a meeting in his pajamas. Knight is way too hyped up and comes from Oakland, which has more problems than we need. Marcus doesn't have it either. The other guy did not even show up.

That leaves Maguire. Any thoughts? :?:

drpaul

Paul Maguire

Post by drpaul »

Cindy and I had dinner tonight, and discussed the city. She mentioned her web site, and so I joined. Let me set a few things straight for the record.

First, the card room in american canyon is a business I own...it is one of MANY businesses that I own. It is managed, and I mostly bought it, because my girlfriend worked in the industry. It is managed. I dont work there.

Second, this idea of bring slots machines here is completely inaccurate. If your referring to prop 68, which would have brought slots to some race tracks and some card rooms(the Napa Valley Casino not being one of them), I supported that because it forced Indian Gaming to contribute 25% of their revenue to the state, as is the case in New York. Basically, our state is getting shafted by the Indian Gaming industry, and the card rooms which have been here for over 100 years (watch any old western) are also being put out of businesses, unfairly in my view.

It is well known that I own the card room, it has been in the paper, and I have been playing cards recreationally and socially, usually at holiday occasions, since my late father, a former Naval Captain and father of 8, taught me how to play pinnacle at age 10.

Poker, especially Hold-em, has become extremely popular, now on espn. But what does owning the card room have to do with being on the council...in my view, not much, so I didn't mention it. I have publicly before, and even participated in a full page article in the Times Herald.

I have many other businesses interests...and other businesses. I retired from chiropractic, which I practiced for some 16years, and am a businessperson.

As far as trust goes, several lenders have entrusted me with millions of dollars of bank depositers money, so those who have looked at my history, my track record, and my ability to repay, and me personally, feel differently than your position. I regret that you came to such a conclusion and said so in a public forum.

There are some serious issues regarding the future of this city. This candidate will spend in excess of 30K of his own money in an attempt to get elected in order to try to steer this city in the right direction. I tell you that so you realize that I am deadly serious about my campaign, and to illustrate that I am willing to invest in this city for everyones benefit, to do a job that I dont need, but in my view, needs me. And I am willing to step up to take on that task with my own money.

That may sound arrogant, and I don't mean to sound that way at all. But rather, to point out that we could be headed for some major trouble here if we don't take some actions to get it right here in American Canyon. Specifically ,we have had run away growth...with little planning for its impact on traffic, schools, safety, and so on. The city has not gotten its fair share from negotiations with developers. Further, the Planning commission meeting I attended tonight, was just another example of that ....at the meeting, which was noticed only 6 DAYS AGO...200 plus units were approved, along with the required zoning changes, and other exceptions to the general plan...what did the planning commission get for all this from the developer...nothing!!! For example the project asked for 18 units per acre v the 16 ( the current max ) for the new zoning the commission was approving...this is a variance, which adds about 20 more units to the project....I told the commission, look, get a few more units for moderate income...which meets more of our requirements, if your going to give them the variance...did they do it...no, they didn't...and it does not make any sense at ALL!!!!

Two of us suggested it be gated...something most apartment owners would like...it wasnt.

I suggested no certificate of occupancy be issued until after the completion of hte Broadway realignment, and widening of Am Can road...nothing there either...

Frankly, its not right. With Wal Mart, it was the same thing...short notice, planning commission meeting to push it through ( the napa junction project), the commission boasts no one was there in December, and now you are all complaining...well, how many residents new about this apartment with 6 days notice... I only found out about it because I got a mailing postmarked the 25th for a meeting on the 28th because I am running for council.

I would suggest to you that such things don't occur elsewhere around the bay area...but rather, much more time for notice as a minimum is the rule.

Cindy and I are the only ones who are actively campaigning on a professional level, because we are both professional, and in my view, are the best two votes in this campaign. We are on the same page on many issues, but we are also free thinkers.

Thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight, and clarify the facts, and my reasons behind my campaign.

Post by Guest »

Are you kidding me? Why would you support a Mayor who is only self serving and puts down the very same people who put her in office? Talk about being irresponsible.

Post by Guest »

I like Paul and he seems like a very nice guy and seems to have some great information. My concern is that he is owner of the Napa Valley Casino and had requested in the past to put in video slot gaming machines. With the Napa phase 1 having 216 low income housing units and Walmart going in this could be a bad mix on our community. I don't have any issues with the card house, but slots are like crack cocaine. So my concerns are will we have another Lori Luporini on our hands?
napaseller
Historian
Historian

AM CAN RESIDENTS WILL IF....

Post by napaseller »

THE CONTINUATION OF LUPIRINI AS A COUNCIL MEMBER AND WORSE IF SHE CONTINUES AS THE MAYOR. NEW BLOOD NEEDS TO BE TRANFUSED SO THAT NEW PLANNING MEMBERS CAN BE CHOSEN. ](*,)
acresident

Maguire

Post by acresident »

Ya, I know he owns the card room but so what. He is definately no Lori Luporini from what I heard. As for slot machines, I do know that the only ones in the state that can have slot machines are in the indians casinos...otherwise, Harrahs would be here I sure, and we would be fighting them not Wal Mart.

I also heard he has been trying to sell the place and isn't that involved in it. But that is beside the point and doesn't really matter.

My poin it what other alternative is there? This is my question. He seems like he is the best of the remaining 9 by far.

He apparently went to the planning commission meeting and says he was only given a short notice, like 6 days I think it was. What else is new. This city is just pushing things through without telling anyone about it.

He is the best choice with Cindy to go with. There isnt anyone else but the same old faces and same old political games.

acresident

The mayor is done

Post by acresident »

The mayor is done. She reminds me of Ross Perot: I running Larry! Wait! I am not running, I can't even afford it here and I am moving out. Wait! I am running. Come on! Here day has come and gone. She just needs an election to figure it out.

Can you believe the paper endorsed her after all the negatives they wrote about here like using the city workers and materials to put in her own driveway on city time! That is just OUTRAGEOUS!
acresident

maguire and coffey

Post by acresident »

Check out the chat room. It appears Maguire and Coffey were the only ones at the planning commission meeting. Melissa says she is voting for Maguire because of what he said.

Clearly, Maguire and Coffey are the recipe for change. The more I hear, the more I am convinced.

Its COFFEY AND MAGUIRE!

Post by guest »

well i disagree. the mayonr has done so much for this city. She brought in the middle school, the new elementary school and the boys and girls club. she even had part in the purchase of the future AC high school. Most of the people who dont what her in as council member are fairly new to our city. tell me somthing. you moved her because you liked what you saw, rite? well its mayor luporini who has made the city what it is today. She had great plans for out city, and we got them. And she has great plans for the future of our city. I believe if people do there rite thing and vote her in she can show you her plans.

bye bye mayor

Post by guest »

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but you have to admit she has run her course. She is limited in her vision for American Canyon. She is unfamiliar about who is moving here. People are moving here for the small town feel. Which is what they see and think it is going to be.

They have no idea that the schools are full because the sales reps are not disclosing that. They have no idea that the city is trying to put in a Super Walmart because it is not being disclosed. They have no idea about the future plans of this city because nothing is ever fully disclosed.

So to say we moved here because of the town yes, but the small way it is now commercially and with slower home growth. the home growth plan is fine just do it slowly so traffic and schools can catch up.

The mayor doesn't know how to plan for the future. This shows by stating that she brought the post office to American Canyon and now states it is too small. You approved the homes and buildout, you knew about the number of people who were moving here didn't you? The post office is fine it just needs longer hours, not be closed for lunch and another part time clerk.

Why can't the Mayor address the issues that are important to the residents? Why? Because she is part of the problem. She isn't listening to the public about slowing growth. When people don't listen you remove them. As for Lori let her retire. She's had her chance. I encourage all people to remember all of her shenanigans in office and how we all complained about it and how we were embarrassed by it to our friends. Let's stop being the joke of the valley and grow up.

I want some new blood on the council. I have my favorite she's a real go-getter we all know who she is and that is who I am supporting. I want somebody who will look after my interest regardless of who I am or how much money I have. If she wasn't so good everybody wouldn't be writing about her. Let's face it we have seen no endorsements or nonendorsements of any candidates in letters to the editor except for one person. She's for me!

Lori- you make a fine burger but it is time to cut your losses and move on.
My family and street wish you the best on your future endeavors, go and enjoy your life without all of our "whining" inconveniencing your life.
Spec4

Maguire vs Reyes

Post by Spec4 »

I think Maguire is pulling a fast one. the people of A/C hated a mayor who owned a bar, do they think somebody who owns the local casino is any better? I don't care if he is trying to sell it "now" he still owns it. I don't care that he donates the money who is he trying to impress? How can this guy who claims to have property and hotels at the planning commission meeting represent working people?

Why is he trying to hook up with Cindy? I heard she was nice, but eating with the enemy? Cindy needs to focus and not get slowed by other candidates trying to ride the same wave.

Isn't this guy pro-walmart? He spoke at a meeting and I thought he liked it and wanted some building changes.

And what is with telling the mayor she did a good job at the candidate meeting? Somebody told me that, but if he is running for office that is uncool. How can we trust people that already say whatever to look good or be liked?

I would rather have Sam Reyes. At least when a guy mails you a comb you know he is trying. So I am voting for Sam and Cindy.

Post by Guest »

before i get to my reply i must say your one of few who dont bash her even though you dont want her. i have seen so many people on here who bash her all the time...just as people say Paulette Griffen bashes Cindy Coffey...and your the type of person people can respect.

now on what you said about 'not knowing about the schools being full' and the 'Wall-mart coming in' that is not the mayors fault. you should have did your reseach on this stuff. Peaple say that walmart supporters need to do there homework. I think people who had the same problem as you should have did your homework about american canyon. That just seems like the most logical thing to do when moving to a city you dont know a lot about.

what i have noticed it that a lot a people what Cindy Coffey to be elected on ot out coucil. Well you say Lori Luporini had her turn, so did Cindy Coffey. She got kicked off for breaking the Browns Act. yes she made a mistake and eveyone makes mistakes but she broke the law! Thats my oppinion on that.

I just really think that Mayor Luporini can finish what she started than having some 'new blood' do it.
acresident

Post by acresident »

Sam Reyes has about as much chance of being on the council as american canyon becoming the next Manhatten! It will NEVER HAPPEN. That is just a waste of a vote.

You sound like a Luporini supporter anyway, saying that Coffey and Maguire means " eating with the enemy". I am glad they are talking, which is more than the Mayor is doing with anyone,who it appears you support anyway.

Maguire has not stated he is pro wal mart, and everyone else on the ballot except Coffey IS PRO WAL MART and has stated so. Callison was at the planning commission, as the DIRECTOR--- Leading the WRONG DIRECTION! American Canyon United is filing litigation anyway.

If you look at the Planning Commission, it is made up of all long term residents, most of whom live in the Rancho area, and who bought there homes years ago. Who on the planning commission represents the new owners? NOBODY! Rather, you have all the old timers interests being represented. These people are making decisions about projects which cost several millions of dollars...and I would suprised that combined they have a much more than a million dollars invested in this city. New home owners are paying 500K -800K EACH to live here!

At least Maguire knows what the hell he is doing. I could care less about that Casino. What I care about is can he get the job done, and from all I have read and heard, he will. And if he owns hotels or apartments, all that says is he is successful. Nothing wrong with that, as the vast majority of the new residents here are as well, or they sure wouldn't be able to buy here.

Say what you want, there is no other viable candidate beside Maguire and Coffey on this ballot. There are the only two who have even ran a legitimate campaign. To me , that says it all right there!

THE TRUTH ABOUT MAGUIRE- I KNOW FIRST HAND

Post by guest »

Well, I have to speak up for Mr. Maguire, because of some of the slanderous and completely untrue remarks that have been made on this forum.

Unlike most of you, I have actually met Paul Maguire numerous times. We also have a mutual friend, who knows Paul quite well, and who has shared with me answers to all of my questions about him and why he is running.

American Canyon is fortunate to have a guy of this caliber running for City Council. Not only is Maguire extremely successful, he has a long track record of success in just about every project he has put his efforts into. He has an excellent reputation for being honest, straightforward, fair, and charitable. As an executive, he is top notch.
Paul's reason for running is because he thinks he can make a difference locally, and he does not have the time right now to run for higher office. He wants to get his feet wet in politics locally. If he likes it, he has said to me and others that he will seek to run for State Assembly then for US Congress.

Beyond that, I know for a fact the following:

Paul wrote a letter to the Mayor and every other council member objecting to the Wal Mart when he first learned of it. I know this because he discussed it with me. As I recall, he said ' the gateway to Napa Valley will be Wal-Mart' then he said, 'why don't we put one in Yosemite Park as well' and we both laughed. He is not a supporter of the Wal Mart.

Paul is use to dealing with big numbers, and has worked on several large 7 figure projects with a positive outcome.

Paul has help several families buy homes that would not of been able to without Paul's expertise and financial help. You will never hear this from him.

Paul comes from middle class roots. He educated himself, worked his butt off, and retired at a very young age of 40. Beyond that, he continues to work in several projects.

Paul bought the card room for his girlfriend who runs it. He sold the liquor license to a restraurant in Napa because he did not want to have a hard liquor license in the city, nor in the card room.

He does not drink, smoke, do drugs, or even drink coffee.

Paul once raised over 1 million dollars in 2 phone calls in less than 2 hours. There are people who trust him that much. One lender will loan Paul money to rehab property on Pauls word! They often don't even go see the property, they just talk to Paul, and go with what he says. They say Paul is a "straightshooter".

Paul is an fantastic negotiator, and puts together win-win deals. His advice has help me, as he is imaginative and creative in finding solutions to problems. This is probably one of his greatest assets.

This is the Paul Maguire I know, and my friend knows. He's friendly, easy going, ambitious, and a hard working guy.

American Canyon would be well served if Paul is elected. If not, he will be successful anyway, and move on to the next goal, achieving that. That is just how he is.

VOTE NO FOR COFFEY

Post by Guest »

yes for anyone else!
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

See how things are spread as rumors because of lack of information. Actually the Mayor has received numerous letters warning of Brown Act violations. The only reason anybody knew about the one the Parks Commission received is because Cindy appealed it. She was told to disregard it, but believing it was not a violation she chose to appeal it.

Besides if you knew what the Brown Act was you would know that it was probably truly violated by the decisions of some of the Planning Commission and City Council Members this year.

Since I was in the audience I saw what happened and understand the what they were trying to accomplish as I was one of the residents who was appalled by the event. I am familiar with the incident and all they did was sign their name wrong on a committee document a common error but administrative not communicative. Communicative errors can cause you to go to jail or have serious fines. But it was a shared error of passion for the issue by current Commission Chair Plate, Commission Co-Chair Iliff, and Commissioner Lorraine LaVoie, all committee members of the city’s 10th Anniversary Committee. Who by the way did a great job!

Cindy was an exceptional PCS Commissioner who lobbied for the skateboard park fence, substantial funding for meals on wheels, and workable space for our 4H club. It was also the first and only year the Commission participated in the Annual 4th of July Parade. She passed the Mobile Home Committee, which was mismanaged by Luporini and Colcleasor and not used for its intended purpose and only served to continue to alienate the mobile home residents.

She was not “thrown” off of this committee. In fact as a personal vendetta due to a close call on the election certain council members over exercised their rights and removed and replaced two members, one being Cindy who coincidentally was replaced by Leon Garcia’s campaign manager. Cronyism runs rampant in the commissions and it needs to stop. If you are unclear as to the facts perhaps you should ask the city clerk or city attorney, but please learn what the Brown Act is so when it comes up again in the near future you will be well informed.
NewInAmCan

NO LUPORINI

Post by NewInAmCan »

I am new to the area and came on this website to find information about the community and upcoming elections. There is a lot of mud slinging and bashing done on here, but among all of that I found some pretty useful info.

First, I would not vote for the current Mayor if she were running against a baboon. I have no personal problems with her, I have never met her nor seen her. I have researched this race.

After finding out about her using city staff and time for her home-improvement projects, I needed nothing further to know that she is not the type of person who I would want in office. But when I found out that she is not only in favor of the Wal-Mart that will drag down the value of the new home my husband and I just purchased, I was livid.

I don't know any of the dirt that I keep reading in these chat rooms. I have not lived here long enough nor do I have any interest in being dragged down by such things. I do, however, have an investment in my home in American Canyon and will vote only for those candidates who will do their best to help protect our future.

Hopefully all of you will do the same. Who cares about the rest of it? We don't have to like someone as a person who sits on council, as long as they DO THE RIGHT THING. I met one of the candidates, Paul Maguire, anyway he seemed about as bright as a 15 watt bulb (I am sorry, perhaps I misjudged. It was my first impression) But anyway, even though he didn't strike me as a brain surgeon, all I want him to do is vote to represent the interests of the community. If he is anti-big box, I will vote for him. I will also vote for Coffee. She is the name that everyone mentions when I ask about who will vote to stop the Wal-Mart.

After that, they are on their own for re-election. But the current council has blown their opportunity to rise above and do the right thing for American Canyon.

If anyone can give me any further information about the candidates that is relevant to the issues, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a fist full of slick fliers from Paul Mcguire that don't really say anything about his position. They have clouds, puppies and balloons on them, but no info about what he will do on any specific topics. I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks
Lisa

Maguire

Post by Lisa »

Paul Maguire seems like a genuinely nice person.

IF HE CAN ASSURE ME THAT HE IS ANTI-Wal-Mart, HE WIL L HAVE MY SECOND VOTE.

Can anyone offer any compelling evidence?
OldButVoting

you must be a candidate to make that stupid remark.

Post by OldButVoting »

Cindy is the only logical choice for me. As a resident with my equity on the rise I want somebody telling me about what is coming up with the council and planning commission before I watch a zoning change on t.v. People don't believe it, but even us mobile owners are getting good prices on our homes too.

I want the option of voicing my concerns over a project to be heard before it is going to the planning commission for the final ok. That is not how it works now.

Even Maguire was disgusted over this. He may be my second choice as I also like Bill, but Bill is all about the mobiles and that makes me nervous. I didn't even know about the meeting. I saw it on t.v. and came down to the meeting. After seeing a 5 to 0 approval I was disgusted. Then learning it was project that the council picked over 15 months ago and the planning commission worked on for a year, give me a break that only validates the council knowing about the Wal-Mart in advance.

I couldn't believe that they would increase the traffic on amcan road just like that... I live in a mobile home, never mind where. All I can say it is already a nightmare when I have to enter onto a/c road. Now I have to deal with new residents turning into an apartment complex too?

We have too many apartments, and vacancies. What about the napa junction apartments? Come on people get a clue this way of doing business isn't working for me anymore. I don't want to be asleep at the wheel anymore and let somebody else drive me out of this town.

Get out and Vote....I am.
Riblets

LUPORINI SHOULD BE CONVICTED

Post by Riblets »

Until this whole Wal-MArt issue arose, I had very little interest in local politics. But now I know what a sleazy council has been running Am Can, I am going to never be so ignorant again!

I read the legal arguments presented by the Anti-Walmart attorney and then I did further research to find out if he was just blowing smoke. As it turns out, he is absolutely RIGHT. Our city has completely ignored our very own ordinances. And when it was pointed out to them, they chose to push forward in hopes that they could continue to rule the world from behind their little folding table.

OUR CURRENT COUNCIL SOLD OUT TO SOMEONE!

VOTE FOR ANYONE WHO WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF THE COUNCIL!
REALITYCHECK

VOTE FOR COFFEY, VOTE OUT THE SELLOUT MAYOR!!!

Post by REALITYCHECK »

The mayor doesn't own anything in American Canyon anymore. Her only interest in council is pushing the Wal-Mart project through so that she can collect her final payoff check and move to Dixon.

VOTE FOR ANYONE OTHER THAN LORI LUPORINI. SHE IS A CORRUPT, SELF-SERVING, LIAR
Slupe

I agree

Post by Slupe »

All of a sudden the whole town cares about city council. It is too bad that they ignored the whole process until that woman could do as much damage as she has done! She has been taking care of her own needs for years and everyone has ignored it until they realized that she is getting the big-check from Wal-Mart and American Canyon is being left with the bill.

I will NOT vote for Luporini.

If she is re-elected, I would sign for an immediate recall. Just bring me the form and my name is on it.

Post by Guest »

:^o <---this is Cindy Coffey. You know why? because all she does is feed you people a load of crap.

CINDY COFFEY IS A LIER! SHAME ON HER!

:^o
Me, Myself, and I

Post by Me, Myself, and I »

If you people paid attention before CINDY COFFEY DICOVERED THAT WALMART WAS COMING you would have seen that the council is not bad. All you here is a buch a lies that Cindy tells you people ( :^o ). She says what you want to here because all of this is jsut free campaining for her. Once this is all over she will drop you guys like you werent even born.

Cindy- Give us a Coffey Break, PLEASE!
acresident

Post by acresident »

Newinamcan

From the research I have done, this is what I come up with:

These are the only ones who have any chance of winning at all:

Lori Luporini; 8 years on the council (which seems long enough and gives us all good reason to consider term limits in AC) Several articles in the paper that are negative, some suggesting poor judgement( using city workers and city material to pave her personal driveway) Backed Wal Mart all the way, and agreed with the county to bring a bunch of low income housing to AC for some property to be annexed into the city. Currenly the mayor, final vote on the council, may not even live here in town, and committed to moving again, than ran again to pass Wal Mart and other projects.

Don Callison: Director of Planning Commission, oversaw the Napa Junction Project, voted for it, then voted against Wal Mart for political reasons I think. Just passed 200 units with 6 days notice to residents , and many of these are low income housing, right next to the new Standard Pacific Homes on the corner of ACROAD and 29. He is the director who is leading in the wrong direction and that needs to be addressed as well. He is part of the old crowd and not likely to bring much change to the council.

Bill Russell: Lives in the mobile home park, has support from the park , but has no real other issues or positions. He says he wants to represent the mobile home parks. If you bought a mobile home, he is for you I guess.

Paul Maguire: Strong contender and I got a bunch of his mail too. On TV, he said he is for limiting growth, and working on traffic. He has new ideas like the internship program to get things done, and has not been for the Wal Mart. I don't know about the 15 watt light bulb, as he is a doctor, but compared to some of these other candidates, 15 watts is bright! Maybe he had an off day. I am voting for the guy, he stands out as a winner to me. Good article in the American Canyon Eagle about him and Coffey this week. http://www.americancanyoneagle.com

Cindy Coffey: Strong Contender, controversial, anti Wal Mart, outspoken, ran last time, almost won. She has really raised awareness with her newspaper, the Napa Solano Post, and has taken the city council head on with questions about back room dealings and questionable procedures. She founded a group that is anti Wal Mart, and they are filing litigation against the city for not following there own rules. I am voting for her as well. She brings change for sure. She is a grass roots organizer. Good article about Coffey this week in the american canyon eagle, same address as above. Coffey will most likely be a council member by Tuesday night.

Joan Bennett: Strong Contender. Joan served on the council years ago. She is pro Wal Mart as I understand it, and would vote for it again. She does not represent change, so if your happy with how things are, you may want to vote for Joan. She has experience, but once again, is part of the old crowd that has been around here for years, and likes to keep control of things quietly. She does not have the problems the mayor has. If I wasnt voting for Maguire and Coffey, she may be a choice.

As for the rest of them , I think their lights are :? totally burnt out.

Good luck in deciding.
Me, Myself, and I

Post by Me, Myself, and I »

Actually i hava a question. Where did you get this info about Lori moving to Dixon?

Post by guest »

I am a neighbor of Maguire. He is cool. I am votin 4 him.

Info

Post by Guest »

From the paper. They reported that Lori Luporini said she was moving to Dixon or Vacaville.

Post by Guest »

wait what paper? i wanna look it up online. Im just curiouse (SP?)

Post by Guest »

Cindy Coffey is the only logical choice if we want some change, and GOD KNOWS WE DO! Why didn't the other papers pick up on the Wal-Mart? Do we have to watch over our council like hawks to make sure they don't pave their own driveways and sell out to Wal-Mart? GET THE SLEAZE OUT OF GOVERNMENT AND ELECT SOMEONE WHO HAS A REAL INTEREST IN OUR TOWN!!!

Print

Post by Guest »

Go to napanews.com and research our beloved Mayor. She steals a free driveway, complains about being caught, pays $25 dollars for it (REMEMBER SHE ALSO USED CITY STAFF TIME) and then complains that $25 was too much! Then when it gets too hot politically and she might have to face an investigation, there is a midnight move of the asphault. Something fishy there...

Also, you can check out her commitment to move out of Am Can and off to Dixon (where driveways sell for less than $25?) or to Vacaville. THAT IS THE ONE PROMISE I WISHED THAT SHE HAD KEPT!
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

Acreresident---I'm glad to see that you did some research and posted something on the candidates that is largely objective that may help some residents narrow their choices.

Frankly, I am not 100% sold on any of the candidates, but Cindy Coffey does represent the biggest departure from the "Old Guard" in town, and we definitely need someone to steer us in a different direction. I am very impressed with her ability to mobilize and take action. Most importantly, she is adamantly against Wal Mart and has been instrumental in leading the opposition to that monster coming to town.

Even though I have read largely positive feedback (on this forum) about P. Maguire, it still bothers me that he would choose to buy the local cardroom---it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What bothers me more is he then tries to distance himself from it in the following ways: made very few references to it in the press but always referenced he was a chiropractor, states he does not work there but has it managed, and finally states the reason he bought it is because his "girlfriend works in the industry".

I have to believe that if he felt it enhanced his image as much as saying he was a retired chiropractor and businessman did, he would mention it just as often. He also implies that he does not believe it is relevant, so he doesn't mention it. I think he clearly recognizes that there is a very negative connotation to being connected to this cardroom even though (unfortunately) it is legally allowed.

All that said, he may be the candidate who can also provide the spark or change this town needs, so we can finally reach our potential.

I'm leaning towards Callison as my 2nd choice but just by a few degrees at this point. I have met him in the past and thought he seemed thoughtful and sincere. Even though I do not like or support the recent Planning Commision decisions, I think we all have to realize that there may be legal restrictions or guidelines the commissioners are obligated to consider in reaching decisions.

Many of these legal restrictions are the result of the deal making and faulty ordinances (or lack therof) related to the General Plan and development that the existing city council has imposed upon Am Can.

I am definitely ready for some big changes, and I hope they FINALLY happen!!!
acresident

Callison v Maguire, Maguire wins hands down for me

Post by acresident »

yardley-

The card room is not an issue for me, but I can see the point you're making. He may think it is a negative, or may believe his large number of years in chiropractic are more relevant. I don't know. My issue with Callison, although he is experienced, is he is Chairman of the Planning Commission. In most towns, that is a powerful position, and he had the opportunity to influence this town. So what did he do? He voted for the Napa Junction Project just prior to Christmas, and he publicly stated, almost condecending, that 'nobody was there when we passed this'.
That irritated me.

There was a huge public outcry as residents found out about it Wal Mart, mostly because of the paper, and he commissions the big meeting in the gym, and votes against it. How politically convenient. Yet in that meeting, the attorney against Wal Mart objected to inadequate notice, other legal issues, and no use permit, and the committee went forward anyway. That was HIS decision, and in my book, showed he supported Wal Mart, and wanted it over with. Remember the attorney telling him he can continue it, or go forward. That was a BAD DECISION on Callisons part.

But the worse thing is that he continued to do the same crap with this 200 unit apartment building. Minimal notice, passed it 5-0, and away we go. Ask around, nobody knows about this 200 unit apartment building, because no one had a chance to learn about it. SO , in spite of huge public outcry last time, he pulled the same thing again just last week at the Planning Commission meeting.

Doesnt that say Callison doesn't get it! He did it again, here we go again, and thats why there is no way I would vote for him.

As far as Maguire goes, I am voting for him. He's new, has positions that make sense, sent me mailings and called, and from all I've read and heard, will make a good councilman. If Callison had changed after the Wal Mart, and done the right thing to continue the meeting on the apartments until it could be noticed, or he had taken into consideration the residents wishes who spoke, ok. But he didn't, so he's out. Callison is just not a consideration. He just doesn't get it. Maguire, his good seems to far outweigh any negatives. To me the card room isnt even an issue. But it may be for others. The fact is that Maguire wants to work to keep our small town feel and to me, thats what I want. So I am going with him and Coffey. I think you support Coffey so I won't go into that, because she deserves it just by having made us all aware of the Wal Mart issue.

You decide, but thats my opinion. Thank you for the compliment, I try. This is an important election for our city, our property values, our future. There will be some real changes if we put in the right people. Of course, there will be some real changes if we don't either, which worries us all.