Measure G- School Bond

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Measure G- School Bond

Post by VicRiv »

I will email Issa some data on the School Bond Measure-and maybe he can post it on this thread.

YES ON MEASURE G

The Bond will be on the November ballot and must pass by 55%. It's a 40 year bond, based on the credit rating of NVUSD, which is AA.

How will it affect YOU? If the bond passes- it will mean a MAXIMUM of $39 per $100,000 assessed value of your home. The result: American Canyon gets a $125 Million Dollar High School.

Where will the school be? Located on the property previously designated as American Canyon Golf Course. It's located on the property on the corner of Flosden/Newell and American Canyon Road.

When will it be Built? IF the measure passes in November, the construction will begin next year.

When will the school Open? IF the measure passes in November, the school will open August 2010. If your child is in the SIXTH grade now-they will be the FIRST graduating class of the new High School.

How Can I help? We are seeking volunteers to show up at local events and get the word out. INFORMATION is POWER. At these events- Yes on G information is distributed, architectural drawings of the high school are available, and residents can register to vote.

For More information: 252-4920 or visit http://www.YesOnMeasureG.com, which should be up and running next week.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

School Bond Measure G Information

Post by VicRiv »

Thanks Issa for your help.

Below is the Project List for the entite district if the bond passes:

http://www.americancanyon.com/NVUSD_Bon ... t_List.pdf

Below is the Meausure G Bond Language:

http://www.americancanyon.com/Ballot_Arg_Handout.pdf

Feel free to copy/paste and email the info to EVERYONE in NAPA COUNTY.
BlueJay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by BlueJay »

Who needs a $125 million school. Many of us are still wondering why it can't be built for under $60m, like I understand our neighboring communities have recently built?

Isn't the $125m number inflated?

Does anyone know?

Post by Guest »

So, no one answered my question. We had 125 million secured in donations already, so that means that Napa will take a huge cut . What do we get out of it? Ed and Don please answer me this question...
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Clarification

Post by VicRiv »

The High School Bond if passed would generate $183 million. $125 of that would come to American Canyon.

The 'inflated' costs are based on the cost of construction materials, which have increased almost 300% since Hurricane Katrina. The size of the school is also based on the growing population of American Canyon and is designed to accomodate 2200 students. (Vintage and Napa were designed for 1500)

Hope this helps
Don Callison
Informant
Informant

Post by Don Callison »

Curious,

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say we had $125 million in donations already secured.

My understanding and Victor has done a good job of breaking it down, is that the bond is for $183 Million of which the NVUSD would use $125 million to build a high school in American Canyon.

I am not sure if I answered your question. Please let me know if there is something else that I am overlooking.

Thank you

Don Callison
Don Callison
Informant
Informant

Answer to Blue Jay

Post by Don Callison »

The $125 million dollar school came into existance over a series of meetings that took place last year. If you remember there was a public outreach to get residents involved in the Planning. The first few meetings were wish list items. Then the meetings were more focused on cirriculum needs and facilities needs. From the wish list, some things were kept, and some eliminated due to feasibility issues. The plans in existence today are the results of the work over the last 18 months or so.

The price tag is partly based on inflated construction costs due to hurricanes and the shortage of material because of rebuilding Iraq.

The goal is to work with a pre-approved plan that is certified by the State of California. This saves time and money. However, the challenge is that the site is somewhat hilly, and requires some modification.

So while $60M is more attractive to me too, I am not sure it is possible in today's market conditions.

The alternative as I see it, is we should be working on a contingency plan in case G does not pass. This plan could be a much smaller school using public and private money. Over time we could add to the school if and when money is available.

Don Callison

real alternative

Post by Guest »

Isn't school about the quality of education? Why do you need a fancy building? Get some portables, paint a sports field and call it a day. Spend more time teaching kids so they can become productive citizens and quit bankrupting families to build fancy buildings.

The objective is to keep kids off of the streets driving up north then put portables up. You can build the campus in stages as you go and not get into debt.
Councilmember Coffey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Good Idea

Post by Councilmember Coffey »

Mr. Rio-

Yes education is important, but to house all of the kids that need a high school would be pretty significant. By the time you purchase the buildings it would be a tremendous expense that could be diverted to a more permanent and better use.

Now is the time for a high school and we need to come together as a community putting our differences aside. We need to accomplish this in the most expeditious manner that is acceptable to the majority of the voters.

Thank you for participating in this forum.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

I agree with Don on this one. We should have a back up plan in case Measure G fails.'

Private money is always faster, and often cheaper, as is private development.

But Don's right, the site work is a large part of the cost, and construction costs are higher as are materials, than 18 months ago- and they will be more in 18 months from now.

So, the challenge is, where do you get the money? If measure G fails, what next. I have some ideas. but 100 plus million is a big number.

Second challenge is, the land has already been given to the school district by teh city with no real guarantee of anything- which was in my view a bit short sided, as a possible land trade could have been done for another location or some other deal. Still possible maybe, I am not in love with that site as a high school given the traffic on AC ROAD, Flosden and depending on where hte Newell Extension goes, even more traffic there too.

But, nothing can be done without getting the money first. Then we can have a strong debate of hte costs and work to keep the costs down. Ideally we get a bond issue, get the 125 million, and come in on the project at 90 Million. But with out the money, nothing is going to happen here regarding a new high school without a major private developer, and most of hte ones here are too small for that big a deal.

You would need a Pulte, KB, Lennar, or someone much larger than Stan Pac or the local developers here now. .
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

What are YOU doing to Help!

Post by VicRiv »

For ALL CANDIDATES:

Talk of being for the High School Bond is good-but the question is how are YOU helping the campaign.
Some of the candidates have hosted events and Measure G volunteers have been present. Some of you have done nothing but offer LIP service.

And as far as contingency plans are concerned-if we start talking of other options now-this will lose traction. This is a viable, affordable plan benefitting the entire county.

If it's as important as you say it is-remember actions speak louder words.

RRRey: American Canyon deserves the BEST for ALL our children or grandchildren, as the case may be. Your solution of portables simply isn't adequate. WE DESERVE the best for our city and children.

My life's mantra "Never settle for Less" is even more important Now than ever.

P.S. I have the architectural drawings, handouts, buttons, yard signs, posters, voter registration cards and will even speak at your event.

We have a host of volunteers attending back to school nights, working phone banks, soccer games,football games, public events. if you want to help-there's PLENTY to do.

LIZ MARKS is the hired consultant coordinating the event and can provide any update and or information (707) 252-4950

YES ON MEASURE G! YES ON MEASURE G! YES ON MEASURE G!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

victor school g bond

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The school measue bond is a joke. I was callled at the end of august when they were polling people for this bond. They told me the magic number was 186 mill. They also asked if I would have a problem spending 75 million on a new high school. Paying for more drug rehab, gang issues, and minor repairs. By the time the school bond measure is paid we will have paid double.

I have a better suggestion. Why doesn't Leon Garcia who stated he was going to have a high school built during his term as city council member come up with a solution for paying for this high school without borrowing money on my tax dollars.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

School Bond

Post by VicRiv »

The much-needed high school is not a LEON problem. All the candidates should be working on a)getting this bond passed or b) finding another solution.
MCBiz- for someone who minds the city's biz- are you not aware that we Need a high school. If your children can't use it-then what about the rest of the children. A Maximum of $39 per $100,000 of the assessed value of your home is a small place for city pride, community gathering, reducing traffic on Hwy 29, increasing the quality of schools for the NVUSD.

So what's your problem about these problems it solves, that you describe it as a joke? All the candidates are for it, to the best of my knowledge. And all the candidates have discussed the importance.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Measure G

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Well as usual Victor you talkiing and don't know the details. At the School Board Meeting last month the representative from our elementary school went. News flash "AMERICAN CANYON HIGH SCHOOL WAS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST".

We are continually treated as the discarded step-children from NUSD. Until American Canyon has a strong person on the board to negotiate the needs of our children we will always get the backseat.

Mr. Garcia's platform for the 2002 election was getting a high school in American Canyon. I believe politicians should be held to their word. Why is it politicians way of solving problems is asking hard working tax payers to fork over more money they don't have? Why not come up with other solutions other than the S.O.P. for politicians.

Mr. Garcia's inability to negotiate his way out of a paperbag or come up with any of his own ideas is just a couple of the reasons I and hundreds of people I know won't be voting for him.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Facts

Post by VicRiv »

MCB,

I do have the facts from the School Board directly and receive emails, phone calls and have participating in the strategy meeting her in AmCan and in Napa.
There are two seperate campaigns 1) for American Canyon -I have all the lit if you want to see it and 2) Napa campaign.
I also have the volunteer list, the project list. American Canyon did a voter registration drive last week and this week they are passing out the AMCAN-centric literature.

The person coordinating the projects are Liz Marks, I've posted her phone # here before. if YOU want to get the facts.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

A High School

Post by amcannative »

Measure "G" is a joint effort and needs to pass. When I had questions I went to the source, John Glaser. John and I spoke a few weeks back and he explained the increased costs. Basically they have had to not only adjust the previous estimates due to normal inflation, but the increases associated with natural disasters throughout the nation as well as oil fluxuations. Then they had to add in the inflationary estimates between now and 2008, when the real construction will start, assuming we do the right thing and pass the bond. Assume for a minute that oil continues to move down and prices stabalize, steel and concrete mellows out, then maybe we don't need 125K. Then they don't sell the bonds and the project is completed. It would be irresponsible to float $100 million and need $110 million and end up with not enough to finish the project correctly and have to go back to the ballot. It is kind of like a home equity loan. If you don't use it, you don't pay for it.

As far as implying that we should settle for less than a state of the art school and throw up some portables, not on my watch. Our kids deserve the best. Our kids have been treated as second class citizens, riding busses, enduring the cold and rain to catch busses, they deserve the best. This school is not "excessive" we deserve the best. The other side
of that arrgument is that you don't save in the long run. Sub-standard environments breed sub-standard performance.

SUPPORT MEASURE "G"- I am talking it up locally, but also with my friends in Napa. I want them to understand the joint benefits and support it also.

Ed West
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

School Bond Issue

Post by ac94503 »

MCB...

My children are grown now...but I spent 5 years of making sure they were on the bus to Vintage before I went off to work. I was always concerned about their welfare traveling Hwy 29 from AC and back. I stressed if they didn't arrive at the usual time back home each day. They didn't seem to mind the commute as much as I did. They made new friends at Vintage, they were exposed to new opportunities that AC at that time did not provide.
I am more than willing to support a tax initiative for a new high school in AC since so many young families have moved into the area. But...require it to be a full service school...Not modules slapped on a piece of land available.

This issue was addressed when AC wanted to have it's own middle school.The school district offered to set-up modular buildings. This was not acceptable as a middle school for a majority of us parents. You need to require that what ever is built as a school in AC...provides every opportunity to your children that they are receiving at the schools in Napa.

I will vote for this initiative and willing to pay the tax for the kids that are the future of AC as long as it is a full service school.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

One more thing...

Post by ac94503 »

Is "Better Learning" on the signs for the passage of this issue...proper English? Maybe "Better Education", "Less Over Crowding" I don't know but the signs appear to be ignorant. Just my opinion.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

ACHS

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I agree that a High School needs to be built here it is ridicules that are students are bussed to n. napa.

The issue is this; In August I received a phone call from a polling agency. The first question was would you approve a school bond measure for $225 mil to help improve sports fields, implement drug programs, do repairs and finally build a new high school. I said no. The gentleman gave me another figure. I asked him what the magic number was for the bond. In which he told me $175 mil (as you can see they are asking for $186 mil.) 75mil would be allocated for the new high school. A friend of mine goes to the school board meetings as a liason for the school. Last months meeting yielded another angry parent from AC because the High School is on the bottom of the totem pole.

Schools Districts and other government departments always ask for money, but rarely is the money used specifically what is was requested for. What about our local politicians? Both Lori Luporini and Leon Garcia ran on the platform of having a new high school built during their terms. Of course Luporini is no longer here so that leaves Leon Garcia. Is the only solution he is able to come up with is a bond measure to get the monkey off his back? History always repeats itself and most people can see past the Politicians business as usual additude.

They really need to start thinking past their own elections and agendas. It may require them to work hard. The politicians should have started an American Canyon High School fund in 2002, organized a group of citizens for grant writing, ensure we had someone who would fight for the educational needs for american canyon residents on the NUSD school board and continuously keep it in the media (no the local rags don't work).

A friends high school in El Paso, Texas received 12 Milllion from the Bill Gates Foundation to build a business wing. Millions were recenty raised at he Napa Valley Wine Auction. Is it possible we could go to the Napa Valley Vinters and request a science wing for our high school? Or maybe those big oil companies across the bay that made 1200% profit in just one quarter. What about atheletic departments: gymnasium, football field, swimming pool, tennis courts, baseball fields how about some of the sports leagues and major sports equipment manufacturers who may want to promote sports? What about local residents purchasing bricks. A pubic charter school had their main building built by parents purchasing bricks.

I know these ideas may just seem so far out there and would require some work on behalf of the politicians and the community, but when you wants something bad enough you will either "Start" saving to buy it or you will finance it on your credit cards.

And remember just because a Bond measure is passed, doesnt mean the school will be built next year. It could take up to another 5 to 6 years before construction will even start.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

More Facts

Post by VicRiv »

ALL politicians should be adressing the School issue. So let's examine:

One mayoral candidate wanted us to start our own school district with portables. No consideration for land and expense for admin offices-much less for new facilities. IF involving the entire county is an affordable solution as proposed in Measure G. What would the cost be for land, building, operational, transportation costs etc. ENORMOUS for AmCan residents to undertake.

The other mayoral candidate runs full page ads pushing Measure G-and absolutely none of the +70 volunteers know who he is-so 'hijacking' measure G as an election ploy is self-serving, but gets credit for the free advsertising.

When the bond passes-I hope Minding City Biz will give Leon Garcia the praise for all the work he has done on behalf of this measure. (continued polling indicates it will pass in the mid-high 60% range-we need 55% to pass)

MCB- the polling was conducted earlier in the year to determine the scope of the bond project $225 would NOT pass, and the polling indicated a) $183M would be easier to swallow and b) it included the building of AmCan High. It also included the project list for Napa, Vintage and New Tech High. Memorial Stadium and other projects. (I attached the links here for all to view)

AmCan High School will open in August 2010, with the current sixth graders being the first graduating class-so I'm not certain where you are getting your info-these updates have continually been consistent since the Bond was identified and placed on the ballot.

I do give you credit for some of the other items (Gates Foundation) Those can still be pursued-but let's all unite for a big push on YES on Measure G.
Negative comments like "its' a joke" undermine all the hard work for us who are spending OUR time trying to benefit OUR town for OUR kids.

I will soon be hosting a volunteer reception at my home as a thank you for all their hard work and a small token of appreciation for the efforts as we work on the last 5 weeks of the campaign.

We still need more help-contact me at (707) 647-1792 or via email at vmr369@yahoo.com.

The next 5 weeks become vital and we have phone bank schedules, precinct walking, candidate forums and meet/greet/coffees throughout the valley. New Tech Foundation is hosting an event tomorrow night.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

More Facts

Post by VicRiv »

from MCBiz
I have a better suggestion. Why doesn't Leon Garcia who stated he was going to have a high school built during his term as city council member come up with a solution for paying for this high school without borrowing money on my tax dollars
A videotape was played, on the record at the November 18, 2004 AmCan City Council meeting. Ms Coffey gave a presentation at the City of Woodland's Planning Commission. she is on tape saying:

"my platform for her election is on three issues 1) BRINGING AMERICAN CANYON ITS FIRST HIGH SCHOOL, 2) CREATING THE CITY's OWN POLICE FORCE and 3) KEEPING WAL)MART OUT (of American Canyon) and BEING SELECTIVE WHO THE CITY IS ALLOWED INTO THEIR BUSINESS COMMUNITY".

So It isn't Just Mr. Garcia who made the committment for a High School and more importantly, why is a (NOW) candidate for mayor still doing her best to stifle an entire project providing amenities to AmCan for her personal agenda? She refuses to acknowledge the $1.75 M generated for the General Fund, simply because "mark Joseph" wrote the projections and "the projections are based on groceries". Let me offer a small reminder-the Napa Junction Project includes Banking, retail, ,housing, Dining locations, open space, and more. Her self-righteous "I know more than the experts" is another example of her style of "leadership".
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Reply to Vic Riv

Post by ac94503 »

Victor...

I think you honestly beleive that your heart is in the right place. However, I have never seen such an arrogant individual in my life.

That said...

I don't understand what it is you don't like about Mrs. Coffey.

Mrs. Coffey has been very articulate in her responses on this website.

She seems to handle herself very well under much criticism. Why don't you stop and take another look at who you support and who will " fix what has been broken " for many years here in AC.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

Now I am hijacking the Issue?

On the one hand, you bitch and complain for candidates to support measure G- on the other you bitch and complain because I paid out of my own pocket to get residents aware of it, which apparently you have a problem with.

Basically, you bitch and complain.

I was the first candidate to come out and publicly support measure G, and the ONLY CANDIDATE to put my money where my mouth is-your canddiate has not spent a dime promoting it! So quick bitching- its not YOUR issue. Its our issue.

And thats another problem with you - your constant we vs them attitude- the biggest dividers in this city is your campaigners.
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by allstar04 »

First I would like to respond to the statement made by ac94503 "Mrs. Coffey has been very articulate in her responses on this website. She seems to handle herself very well under much criticism." I would say in my personal experience with Counselwoman Coffey she does not in fact respond well under much criticism. My family attended the January City Council meeting where we and other families were recognized for our holiday decoration displays. That was also the meeting where then Counselwomen Luporini was called on for not living in American Canyon. I was shocked by Counselwoman Coffey's behavior at that meeting. Instead of acting with the grace and poise that a counselmember should, she started yelling, and verbally lashed out and attacked several members of the audience. Additionally, she excused her self to take a personal phone call during the meeting. She was very unprofessional and I do not want some one who will easily fly off the handle to represent me or the City of American Canyon.

In regards to Measure G, members of our family have lived in American Canyon for over fifty years. My huband and I currently live in a house that was building in 1950s. Back when our home was built, our families were promised a high school. Fifty years ago a high school was promised to the City of American Canyon! We still do not have a high school! We are both Vintage High grads and proud of it. However, we would like for our son (a fourth generation American Canyon resident) to go to a high school in the city we live in. I don't care who was the first candidate to come out and publicly support Measure G both verbally and financially. I don't care which candidate used the high school as an election platform four years ago. Stop arguing over who did what or who said what. This is something that every candidate and every resident should support and work together on. This is important to our children and to our city. We will gladly spend our hardworking money to have a nice beautiful school, a school we can be proud of. I don't want to get some portables and paint a sports field.! I agree with Vic and Mr. West - we deserve the best for our city and children.
Frankie G
Informant
Informant

Post by Frankie G »

I am not concerned about Cindy Coffey being unprofessional.

It's West I am concerned about. He is a hot head ready to intimidate and berate anyone at a moments notice. He is the unprofessional one.
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mookienunu »

You are not concerned about Ms. Coffey?? You poor pitiful thing!! The only concern that you have is that Ed West will be elected and Ms. Coffey will feel threatened that she will have a watchful eye over her. This is common knowlege on the streets.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Frankie G

Post by amcannative »

You know Frankie G if you ever want to feel intimidation or berated, just run for office. When annonymous people can make comments and call you names and you have no idea who they are or where they are and you can't face your accuser, that is intimidation and beratment at it's definition. The difference is that unlike you, I do not let peoeple intimidate me. I do not let people berate me and I would not vote for anyone that could be intimidated or berated. Secondly, you have no examples of me ever behaving in an intimidating or berating manner. Just because I stand up for myself and I speak my mind and I don't waffle and I call it the way I see it, does not make me an intimidator or Hot headed. It makes me outspoken, another quality that City Council persons should have. I am balanced. Occasionally sympathetic, always empathetic. To be intimidated you have to be unsure of yourself. I do respect the candidates in that while we do not agree, we put our names on our opinions

Ed West
I am not concerned about Cindy Coffey being unprofessional.

It's West I am concerned about. He is a hot head ready to intimidate and berate anyone at a moments notice. He is the unprofessional one.
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mookienunu »

You could not have said it any better!!!! Direct and to the point and most of all TRUTHFUL!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Measure G

Post by VicRiv »

The High School Bond in November IS more important than ANY candidate during this election. Mr. West said it perfectly, and I have been borrowing his phrase "the single most important decision the Citizens of American Canyon have to vote on since incorporation".

Yesterday, I attended an estate planning seminar, Some of us were wearing YES ON G buttons. Two of the attendees lived in Napa and when they asked our position-I was able to clearly articulate FACTS, and the benefits for the entire NVUSD. They thanked me and asked if I had a yard sign and a button!

The way this is going to pass it through small group information sessions-so spread the word!

AC94503- Yes I am Arrogant-especially when I'm right!
Facts speak for themselves. But not arrogant enough to think I know it all, I also have a fully functionally brain that works. I also research everthing I take a position on so I can discuss it intelligently-based on facts.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Frankie G

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Secondly, you have no examples of me ever behaving in an intimidating or berating manner.
Ed West

Mr. West would you say at the Eagle debate prior to the elections in June where you verbally attacked Mr. Miller wasn't intimidating? Or how about your numerous attacks in your letters to the editor. Or is someonne else using your identity?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: More Facts

Post by mindingcitybiz »

So It isn't Just Mr. Garcia who made the committment for a High School .
Cindy Coffey has been in office for two years and even though I don't agree with measure G she supports it. Your candidate has been in office for four years what is his excuse?

I know you like to tap dance around the questions vicriv, but the question was, why hasn't your candidate Leon Garcia come up with another solutiion instead of a bon. Which puts tax burden on the residents?
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Abusive?

Post by amcannative »

Challenging someone to a debate is abusive? My words were "Would you like to debate that", that is threatening and abusive?

When a candidiate talks about secret meetings and no public meetings with regards to Wal-Mart as JT Miller did that night, these are lies. I called him on his lies. I will do it again.

You should know this since you work for the anti-Wal-Mart group-

was this too threatening or intimidating or Hot Headed for you Miranda?

Ed West
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

sigh!

Post by VicRiv »

MCB-
If you want Mr. Garcia's opinion on something-ask him his phone # is on his election material. I know he supports Measure G because he's helped in the phone banks and has had Measure G at almost all his meet/greets.
So I don't know what you are asking??

when I write as VIC RIV -it's ME giving MY opinion-My log in isn't VicLeonandothers.

By the way- the school issue is a NVUSD issue and THEY decided how to proceed to meet ALL the needs of the ENTIRE County.
smrtamcan
Informant
Informant

Post by smrtamcan »

just want you all to remember the quote "or did someone else use your identity?" something to look at at a later date for those paying attention to the news.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Huh?

Post by merryjester »

Mr. West,

In a separate thread on this board, you said:
Don't poke this giant in the eye with a stick, I may contact a PR firm in Vallejo and learn something about you, that you and Brett Jolley don't want me to know.
I think your implying that anyone who crosses you is subject to having their pasts investigated sounds pretty threatening. Truth be told, that's precisely the definition of the word "threat".
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Poking the Giant

Post by amcannative »

Well Merry Jester if you read the entire content of the post instead of taking it out of context you would have realized that I was referring to fact that Minding City Biz works for a PR firm and lives in Vallejo and is connected to a Lawyer involved in the Wal-Mart suit. No threats.

By the way the definition of THREAT- requires a determination to inflict punishment or injury, neither of which were even hinted at.

Ed West
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Poking the Giant

Post by mindingcitybiz »

amcannative wrote:Well Merry Jester if you read the entire content of the post instead of taking it out of context you would have realized that I was referring to fact that Minding City Biz works for a PR firm and lives in Vallejo and is connected to a Lawyer involved in the Wal-Mart suit. No threats.

By the way the definition of THREAT- requires a determination to inflict punishment or injury, neither of which were even hinted at.

Ed West
Okay so you say other candidates lie, but you just spewed more lies in one sentence. So let's get the fact's straight, I know this may be difficult for you.

1. I don't work in PR, but do enjoy my children
2. I have happily lived in American Canyon for years.
3. My spouse would not appreciate you saying I am "Connected" to a lawyer, nor would yours about you.
4. No I don't want a "Supercenter" of any kind in my town.
5. As your good buddy VicRiv would say "this is just Semantics".

Have a nice day! :wink:
James Walker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

The Facts

Post by James Walker »

Alot of people especially in Napa believe that the Measure G is just for the High School, but they are wrong. The measure is to upgrade some of the facilities at Napa High and Vintage high as well as for the middle schools in both Napa and American Canyon.

Being on the Design Committee for Anerican Canyon it is of the upmost priority that Measure G pass, so that students dont have to take the Bus to Vintage High or Napa High anymore.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Reasons educated people will not be voting for the school bond.

1. Listed construction projects, repairs, rehabilitation projects and upgrades will be completed as needed at a particular school site according to "Board-established" priorities and as may be described in the Bond Project List. The final cost of each project will be determined as plans are finalized, "construction bids" are awarded, and projects are complete. (The project plans haven't even been finalized for the High School so how will they know what the cost are going to be and is there any guarantee AC won't just be 4 walls and a roof?)

2. Certain construction funds expected from nonbond sources, including State grant funds for eligible projects, "have not yet been secured". (We all know how long it can take to get money from the state and if this has to go to a statewide measure how much longer will it take to get a high school in AC?)

3. Completion of some projects may be subject to further government approvals by State officials and boards, and to local environmental review. "For these reasons, inclusion of a project on the Bond Project list is not a guarantee that the project will be completed". (There are environmental issues with the AC school land.)

4. "Apporval of Measure G "DOES NOT GUARANTEE" that the proposed project or projects in the Napa Valley Unified School District that are the subject of bonds under Measure G will be funded beyond the local revenues generated by Measure G. The District's proposal for the project or projects "ASSUMES THE RECEIPT OF MATCHING STATE FUNDS", which could be subject to appropriation by the Legislature or approval of statewide bond measure."

5. Land was donated for our AMCAN high school, but then City Manager Mark Joseph didn't want to pay minimal property taxes and moved the land out of the trust. (This cost us because now the district had to repurchase land for the high school instead of using money to build a school.)

6. Measure M a $95 million dollar school bond was intended for the acquistion of property for a new school in AC. None of the monies were set aside for construction of the new high school.

7. If you look at the argument in Favor of Measure G, You will note the following:

All measure G funds will be used to improve local Napa Valley Unified School District schools. (No guarantee of a new high school will be built)

Bottom line is many AC residents who were members of the High School Committee dropped out due to Napa wanting to do their own thing and not listen to them. American Canyon does not have strong representation on the School Board and until we do there is no guarantee that our High School will be built and if it is built it most likely won't be what we wanted. We are going to have to fight for our High School just like Lori Luporini fought for the ACMS. (Just a friendly reminder that school was built too small.)

We need to come up with alternative solutions to building a high school here in AC that will reflect the growing needs of American Canyon.

We need a high school to built before 2010 or later depending on when we get matching funds from the state.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

No on Measure G?

Post by ac94503 »

Why educated people will not vote for this issue?

Are you just trying to bring VicRiv back or do you really beleive what you posted?

I am very surprised by your post. And disappointed.

Post by Guest »

Actually ac 94503, alot of what mindingcitybiz said was true. google measureg napa and read the actual bond and bond project list. yes we need a school but at what cost? i see that part of that bond money is going towards new tech high. Isn't that a relativly new school? that shouldn't be towards the top of the priority list should it? it also says a new middle school. that's not on the yes on g website. please read the real verbage.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

My Thoughts,

Post by ac94503 »

MCB makes a very good presentation why we should vote NO on Measure G.

I don't disagree that there should have been more pressure on developers coming into the area to help defray the costs.

I also agree that other sources should be investigated...We still have time to do that right?

In my view the tax is needed regardless where it is going to be applied because it is for education of all Napa Valley students.

We don't get a school out of the tax...the kids of AC will be attending the schools in Napa that will get that money. Vintage, Napa or New Tech.

I will vote Yes on Measure G in the hope that it will help provide "Better Learning" for our children in AC.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Yes on G

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The reason many people won't be voting for it.

If the measure passes every property owner in Napa county will be responsible for paying for this bond for the next 40 years. American Canyon will still have to figure out how to get a High School built. The minimal being at least $45 mill to get a basic building ready to go. You also have to remember a lot of these things they are requesting we are already paying for with Measure M.

I have been talking to a lot of people up Valley and have driven neighborhoods visiting friends. A lot of the residents are voting no up valley. The vote yes on Measure G signs are very few compared to American Canyon. Up Valley has finally realized the voting power of American Canyon and by dangling a New High School in front of us they think we will just vote for it.

Quite frankly $186 Million is quite a lot of money especially since only $75 million is supposed to be allocated to the new high school according to the school board meeting. So we are going to pay not only this $186 million plus the interest up to 12% for the next 40 years without getting what we desperately need now.

Respectfully, MCB
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Measure G Facts

Post by VicRiv »

Contrary to what MCB says:

The project list has already been identified and the bond has $$ and projects earmarked for each. True-the individual project must go out to bid as part of the process-but construction based on "future costs" were used in the budgeting costs were used. The likelihood of AmCan High-being left without a roof is highly unlikely.

Memorial Stadium: seismically upgraded and retrofitted to improve safety, security and increase disabled access.

New Tech High: Add 10 Classrooms which will double the student population.

AmCan High: $125 Million of the $183 M earmarked for a facility to house 2200 students. Stadium with synthetic field. 2 Other synthetic field and 2 grass fields- which AmCan residents will have access to. A new Gymnasium w/ Kitchen and another swimming pool. A performance arts theatre.

And as far as "educated" people NOT voting for it. Let's talk about who is:
American Canyon City Council- ALL
Napa Mayor Jill Techel
Napa Chamber of Commerce
AmCan Chamber
Napa County Taxpayers Oversight Committee
Barbara Nemko, Superintendant of Napa County Education

As I was working precints in AmCan and in Napa- almost everyone I talked to is FOR it.. SO where do you live or who are you talking to?
Our phone banks for Napa County Registered voters indicate the bond will pass by about 62-68%.

So again curious-who are you talking to?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Hello VicRiv,

Actually if you read previous post and read the detail writing of the bond measure in your sample ballot and you can also get a copy online. It is the fine print that many of us find disturbing.

Many people who were on the ADHoc committee for the High School dropped off it due to Napa not listening to them including your friend the real estate agent. You should probably go back through and re-read this post from the top, well excluding what you already wrote yourself. :D
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Bad Planning and Bad Negotiations

Post by MeadowsGuy »

Garcia goofed up once more.... the word EARMARKED is the problem. The word should be "ASSIGNED" to the creation of Am Can High School.

Once the revenue starts flowing (for those of you in the 800K homes, you will get quite a shock at tax time), I suspect the lead agency (NVUSD) will begin slowly siphoning off funds to "other" earmarked projects and leave the HS to the LAST. Let's not exclude the usual cost overruns that seem to be the NORM rather than the exception. There is no legal recourse except... OMG another lawsuit.

And you seniors out there, just another SQUEEZE on your already depleted retirement.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Measure G

Post by amcannative »

I have sat here and watched as people have started attacking the most important issue to ever be decided in American Canyon since incorporation. While you have the right to your opinion, I have the right to disagree. Before you start your mis-information be sure you understand the damage that you will be doing. Our kids futures rely on this. Because as much as I hated being bussed to Silverado and Vintage, we weren't at 125% of capacity. This is not some political football for you to kick around and try and disparage a candidate because they support it. It would be political suicide and absolutely impossible for the School District to some how "screw" us out of a High School and still float the bonds. You are playing games with symantics. I met with and talked to John Glasser and have known him for many years. He is an honest man. He wants a new High School as bad as we do. Sure there is always a chance of the ecomony taking a dump and the state's funding could be cut drastically or another terrorist attack and then who knows what will happen to our economy, but be serious. Even the No on G and the rebuttals written in teh voter pamphlet do not come up with the far fetched "worries" that have been floated here.

If for some reason the state crahses, then the bonds will not be sold. But then your house will appraise for less and the property taxes associated with the bond will drop also, assuming the world comes to an end before the boon doggle is built, right. Don't forget it is assessed value.

The extent and the damage that some people will do to a community to disparage and defeat a candidiate is amazing!

Ed West
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

That is the Kettle calling pot black Mr. West!

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Mr. West this is a forum. We have a right to debate the issues that will effective our community. We have the right to talk about the candidates on what they have or have not done. I truly am tired of you attacking everyone on this forum including myself when we are trying to debate the issues and how they will effect us and our city.

Measure G is not about the Candidates, republican or democrat, it is about the possible misleading of information given out to the voters who don't take the time to read their voter guides to make informed decisions. A decision that could effect us financial for the next 40 years. Which shouldnt be taken lightly by a he said she said mantality.

Instead of bullying people maybe you should take the time to debate us back by making your point with documented information to help us to continue to make informed decisons as we debate on this forum.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by amcannative »

MCB you need to go back and read my posting, I attacked no one, I cautioned everyone for providing mis-information and the consequences it has on the youth and the city. I aknowledged your right to disagree. I attacked no one and I don't care if you are tired of my behavior.

I even re-printed it below for you- where have I attacked anyone? I don't even mention a single name. I diagree with you, thefore I am attacking you. I think you are one that has difficulty with freedom of speach. OOPS I guess I am atacking you- you are the bully and the abuser. I simply disagree with you and agrued my point! Eplain your comments MCB

I have sat here and watched as people have started attacking the most important issue to ever be decided in American Canyon since incorporation. While you have the right to your opinion, I have the right to disagree. Before you start your mis-information be sure you understand the damage that you will be doing. Our kids futures rely on this. Because as much as I hated being bussed to Silverado and Vintage, we weren't at 125% of capacity. This is not some political football for you to kick around and try and disparage a candidate because they support it. It would be political suicide and absolutely impossible for the School District to some how "screw" us out of a High School and still float the bonds. You are playing games with symantics. I met with and talked to John Glasser and have known him for many years. He is an honest man. He wants a new High School as bad as we do. Sure there is always a chance of the ecomony taking a dump and the state's funding could be cut drastically or another terrorist attack and then who knows what will happen to our economy, but be serious. Even the No on G and the rebuttals written in teh voter pamphlet do not come up with the far fetched "worries" that have been floated here.

If for some reason the state crahses, then the bonds will not be sold. But then your house will appraise for less and the property taxes associated with the bond will drop also, assuming the world comes to an end before the boon doggle is built, right. Don't forget it is assessed value.

The extent and the damage that some people will do to a community to disparage and defeat a candidiate is amazing!

Ed West
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Tell It To Colcleaser

Post by MeadowsGuy »

Amcanative

I'm afraid your history is off.

The High School was on the radar as far back as 1994 when the first council was seated. AMCAN was stuck in the doldrums of a slack economy. Thats when redevelopment came about. Nothing happened during his tenure. Now his gang has to do the cleanup and they (you) are LOST.

Colcleaser buried this HS and half of the driver policies of the General Plan, fired planning commissioners who disagreed with him and started us down the path of ruin, took his cash and ran.

I haven't heard anyone of his appointees apologize for this. You are perpetuating his failures.

Earmark is not a semantic. It has NO legal comprehension (look it up).

I don't think the SUP is a dishonest man either, but he does not control the infrastructure around him anymore than you do.

Time for our own district.