City Manager terminated???

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

City manager needs to GO

Post by guest »

Lets discuss the city manager. :idea:

AC needs new leadership at the office of City Manager. The actions on the walmart are reason enough. Watch the council meetings. and what you hear from him more often than not is excuses of why an item is not done. I am hopeful this guy retires, quits, or is let go. Change in needed.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: goodbye
InvestmentGuy

City Manager

Post by InvestmentGuy »

The article in todays Times is the icing on the cake. This guy just can't seem to shut his mouth. Why in the heck is he saying the city is going broke? That was so stupid and to promote Wal-Mart when the city is involved in a lawsuit is also dumb.

I remember when he asked for a new accounting directort or something because the city had soooo much money and needed somebody to invest it. Now he says it is going broke?

Qui9t hiring that is the secret. If you have work that needs to be done due to growth hire a consultants or sub out the work. You spend too much money. I look at the agendas and you are always spending money.

How long has this guy been a city manager? Why does the council allow this irratic and irresponsible spending. Do they even read? I own several homes in this area as investments. Mostly older. I am pumping money into them to get good tenants for my future retirement.

When I see crap like this in the paper I think is there anything else you can do to sink the economy of this city or disuade any future home buyers. I find him to be very irresponsible as demand the council to hold him accountable. Before the city goes down the tubes.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

City Manager

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I am extremely upset. How can MJ all of a sudden be worried about money. The man just took his pay increase last year with no problems. And the year before and the year before. The way MJ talks in the paper it sounds like he is going after Cecil Shavers Job. I have to wonder why he is pushing walmart so much... Especially knowing that after the big dollars they offered in their brochure to the community it was later admitted that those numbers would be reduced to $179 K per year which $139K would be required for additional police cost.............. Anyone? Anyone? Have an answer for me?
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Post by MeadowsGuy »

This is the same game he's been playing with the Colcleaser/Luporini Kool-aid folks backing him up... for the last 8 years.

1) Build out the City AT ANY COST... rack-em/pack-em housing... the heck with the General Plan.
2) Site the Prop13 cap as a way we are all going to go broke because there is too much housing and not enough commercial development.
3) Blame past Councils on things like Redevelopment.
4) Hire police/staff because everyone is "loaded with work".
5) Embrace Wal-Marts as a way out of the crisis.
6) Hire more staff because Wal-Marts will create a need for it.
7) Go to Number One.

Hey Mark, on our worst day, we're smarter than you !!
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

Meadowsguy I understand what you are saying but do you know how many homes have Prop 13 cap? I am just begining to understand Prop 13. Also can you clarify for me~ I thought the city did not have re-development or is your point that you want re-development. Many thanks for your help.

Post by guest »

The city council should fire MJ ( the city manager). It is up to them to do it. I am not sure they have what it takes to do it, since they seem to just go along with everything. NO BACKBONE!
NapaDude
Informant
Informant

Post by NapaDude »

Well said, Linda. This thread so far has been assumptive and mob-oriented. Let's see some facts that you guys can back up. I have no problem if you want Mr. Joseph out, but at least site something you actually know that he did.

And the development you speak of couldn't get passed just by Mark. The city council reviews all of this.

city manager

Post by guest »

Look at what he has not done. The city council meetings are a good place to start. He regularly does not follow up when directed by staff.

Cindy Coffey has started asking about past items during the comment period for council members. MJ has not acted on the majority of items, and it appears that he hopes they just go away and council forgets about it.

The letter from the stakeholders for Oat Hill to work with the city is a good recent example. The council was not happy to get such an important document at the last hour. The council deferred acting on it till the next meeting. MJ had no reason or excuse.

MJ represented that Walmart would bring in 50-60k a month in the article referenced in this thread this week. Yet, that is a mis-representation of the facts, because according to the Walmart thread, that 600k in sales tax revenue has been modified to about 200k annually, and he knows that.

What about his big push to get walmart in, against the wishes of the majority of residents?

Did we even get the money for the legal fees the city is suppose to get from Walmart? Has that been paid yet?

MJ is an embedded city manager fighting for his job and trying to outlast this council. If you do not like the way the city is going then you have to make changes at the top, which is the city manager.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Mark Joseph

Post by mindingcitybiz »

When I was attending Walmart meetings and spoke to MJ several times he seemed concerned. But then I started watching him with everyone he spoke with MJ acted the same way. That I realized he was full of beans........

Post by Guest »

Well at least MJ has it figured out.He knows how to count to "3". To BAd the council can't get to that number also. BUt who knows, maybe the council might hit the MAGIC number and ByeBye MJ.
Keeping my fingers crossed
amcanresident2

City manager days limited

Post by amcanresident2 »

1 vote away from termination of the city manager. It is only a matter of time!
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Mark was right for the job years ago. The position was tough to fill. American Canyon was just starting out so we did not have much in terms of money or applications for such a small time town.

The workload has grown with the growth of the city. Mark is having a time of it now and may be over his head. The council has shown public displeasure in a few meetings.

Who knows what is being said behind closed doors.

Someone needs to take the reins of the city and give it direction. The council can only do what they can meeting twice a month. They really need to make a decision and move on.

This council has not shown any willingness to say what has become a famous line now-

"You're fired"!

City Manager

Post by guest »

This is in response to amcanresident2 post that the council is 1 vote away from terminating MJ. I thought city employee issues were handled in close session...So, if this statement is true, someone is talking that shouldn't be!
NapaDude
Informant
Informant

Post by NapaDude »

The only problem I see here with this is demonizing Mark. If he was gone, and things still didn't happen the way you wanted, then who would you blame then.

I think people should get more involved if they feel so strongly.

But that's just me. :wink:
NapaDude
Informant
Informant

Post by NapaDude »

Aww. I can't correct my pronunciation! No edit function!

--Must be Mark's fault!

whos talking-whos not

Post by guest »

were handled in close session...So, if this statement is true, someone is talking that shouldn't be!

And this is news to you? AC is rumor mill capital!

Needs to go...

Post by Guest »

Hopefully, if the decision is made to remove the City Manager, the City Attorney will not be far behind.
Shmedly

Post by Shmedly »

NO KIDDING! The city attorney is horrible! Between MJ and Bill Ross :oops: , the city is being run by dumb and dumber while the council blunders through like the keystone cops.

I am embarassed to be a resident here at times.

Fire the losers and lets start with a clean slate. They can't do any worse.
legal1

Post by legal1 »

Mark Joseph was blasted in court today and he deserved it. He needs to go bye bye.

Mark Joseph

Post by Guest »

The Attorney for CAPP went on and on about MJ's memo's for an hour. MJ was in the back fidgeting with his hands the whole time. Bill Ross tried to discredit MJ saying he didn't know what he was talking about. Some how I don't think the judge bought it so the evidence will be used. The man is a loose cannon for the city and his contract should be terminated.
legal1

no confidence in city manager

Post by legal1 »

Our city attorney said our city manager doesn't know what he is talking about? Well, there is confidence for you. The city attorney sits in on all open and closed sessions. Sounds to me like the city attorney doesn't think too highly of our city manager to make such a comment.

What is amazingly stupid is the city manager signed his name to an economic study that was put together by the developer, without disclosing that. The study was used to promote Walmart's economic value and tax revenue potential. Thats fraud, at least least, severe negligence. In and of itself that is grounds for dismissal. Clearly, the council was misrepresented by the City Manager, let alone the public.

response

Post by guest »

Actually the developer did not do the economic study that was exclusively done by the city manager. Although I don't think the developer wouldn't do it if he could.

I heard there is other interest on the property anybody know who?
legal1

What more does the council need to fire city manager?

Post by legal1 »

The city manager needs to be relieved of his duties. He is a liability to the city of American Canyon. His performance is weak. Can we move on council members?

Post by guest »

Since when is the city manager an economists? Stupid !
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

city manager

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Mark Joseph was hired as the finance director then was supposed to be the interim City Manager until the city council hired one. Once again the City Council didn't do their job, now we are stuck with a loose cannon with high wages to boot.

Post by guest »

He should be terminated, but this council is NOT Doing there job!!
Councilwatcher

Post by Councilwatcher »

Once again another waste of council time by Mark Joseph. The city manager wishes to push business out that can take minutes to weeks or months later. To look busy or what? These agendas are too short, and the council is not getting enough done.

Most of these items could be handled in 1 council session. This council gets no work from MJ because he fails to follow through on their requests, and then they dont follow up as often as they ought to.

Pathetic. :x :x :x
[/b]

Post by guest »

Maybe the council is scared of him. I don't know why when they can just say "YOUR FIRED'! Donald Trump does it all the time and he gets paid too.

city manager

Post by guest »

Well I think the city manager has issues too. But sometimes he does hit a homerun. Like last night when he didn't issue a "fake" compliment to Cori for the 4th of July. At least he got that one right. Unlike three other members on the council. I saw him there so I know he went.

Give me a break! The Lions did a better job without her self- serving whining condescending attitude.

City Manager terminated???

Post by guest »

Rumor has it the city manager was terminated by the city council and Victor Rivera and friends were out there supporting him. Any comment.

Rumor

Post by Guest »

If that's so then the city of American Canyon is doomed! They might as well become part of Vallejo and remove themselves from Napa County. He was the only person in the City that kept the relationship between Napa and American Canyon civil. I hope this is just rumor.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

On Friday evening I received emails and phone calls from several people living in the city of American Canyon. All asking me to be part of the protesters taking a stand outside the city hall where a closed meeting was being held with regards to our city manager Mark Joseph. Cindy Coffey ran her campaign on the fact that she wanted open government for the city, she spoke about it many times and also wrote about it in her paper. So why were they holding a closed meeting? The reason they give is "personnel confidentiality" well they can hide behind the rule but we need an explanation and if there has been a serious breach of ethics or job performance that has damaged the reputation and performance of the city we need to know.
Because it was a closed meeting, the outcome was unknown.

I agree with Cindy "Let's strive for open government."

mark joseph

Post by guest »

The council has every right to have closed sessions.

If the rumor is true, and Mark Joseph WAS fired, then lets move on.

Nothing better for the city then some new blood and some new ideas. Barry Crematie is the new planning director and does a great job at teh council meetings.

Good luck to Mr. Joseph. Lets focus on finding a new city manager.
about time

Post by about time »

Well it is about time. For months this council and those before it have been haggling with the city manager for power. Cecil Shaver, the mayor, really hammered the city manager about not following the council's wishes in working on the half cent sales tax.

Much has been said about the poor employee relations in the city. The city has lost valuable long term employees who are disgrunted by Mark Josephs management style.

Look at the lack of minorities hired in the city. The city must have over 100 employees, and you can count on 1 hand the number of hispanics and african americans employed here. I dont think there is 1 asian that works for American Canyon in a city with a large asian population.
Its lilly white.

Who does the hiring? The city manager.

I agree with the other guest. We need new blood with new ideas to manage the city.

so dramatic

Post by guest »

If that's so then the city of American Canyon is doomed!

The city of American Canyon is NOT DOOMED. There are graveyards of people who thought they were not replacable. Life goes on. The city of American Canyon will be just fine with out Mark Joseph.

Change comes with time. The council thought it was time for a change.

So be it.
homeboy

Post by homeboy »

Thank you for your input. Council needs to do their job. There are always issues that are not public, yet. Let's be patient and see what happens.

Post by guest »

Wow. Finally. I sure hope it is true. Its long overdue!
sohappy

Post by sohappy »

Going, Going. Gone!

what's the fuss about?

Post by guest »

Why does everybody assume Mr. Joseph is leaving the city or being fired? Don't you think that maybe the meetings could be in reference to other personnel issues? What proof do we have that it means MJ?

Maybe he is resigning and the council is preparing for transition? Why always assume the worst. There are many possibilities about what is going on but does anybody know for sure except those people in the meeting?

That is unless they got a call from Leon. Isn't that illegal? Or is that how you elevate your importance? In my book it makes him a liability and this city surely doesn't need any more liabilities. Napa recognized it two or was it three times, I know we will next election too!
citysource

MJ FIRED!

Post by citysource »

Leons followers include cori b and victor r. Both of them were outside the meeting protesting with signs referencing Mark Joseph. What do you think it was about? MJ will likely resign to save face. The council should let him instead of firing him if he wants to play it publicly that way.. Leon let the cat out of bag. Is that acceptable? Its done. MJ was fired. Thats a fact. The city should look to the future.

MJ

Post by Guest »

There really is nothing to gloat about with someone losing their position...
If the council decided to fire MJ or MJ decided to resign...Really, what does it matter. This City is in for some surprises...Personally, I wish MJ would be offered a position in the City Finance Dept.
Old saying, " Be careful what you wish for?" I hope this City does not regret this decision!!!
citywatcher

Post by citywatcher »

The city has numerous problems with staff. The Mayor has directly confronted MJ about not following city council decisions and directions. It is about time the council did something about the hemorraging of good talent out of american canyon. MJ has been here long enough, and its time for MJ and AC to move on.

MJ

Post by Guest »

According to articles in Vallejo Times Herald and the Eagle the decision to terminate MJ has not been finalized. There is another meeting later this month. Also, one article eludes to the fact that Mayor Shaver may no longer be in support of the termination.
On another note: Pastor Curry - what a piece of work that one is!!!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

City Manager

Post by VicRiv »

I am NOT anyone's "FOLLOWER". I am my OWN MAN and have a fully working brain-thank you very much.

As for "letting the cat out of the bag"..I was contacted by two newspapers and a radio station about the rumor. Me, myself and I initiated the "support rally" because I do support Mark Joseph and the job he has done. IS the city perfect? No- but compare us to Napa, Vallejo or the town you moved here from and I guarantee we are in better shape financially and if you could measure "desirability" we would rank a very high score.

His vision along with the past councils which are so easily villified on this site are the reason AmCan was desirable to justify why YOU spent between $400-$900k to move here.

The only person complaining about the city moving in the wrong direction is the editor of the POST and a few posters here.

In the last couple days, while in public absolutely NO ONE had approached me to complain about the city heading in the wrong direction. Mr. Joseph has hired contractors who have the expertise to perform work for the city. This saves the city having to pay benefits, retirement etc. This is a normal practice in the workplace.

Lastly,I have been approaced by at least 45 people supporting the direction of the city and the job Mr. Joseph is doing.

Let's not lose sight of the big picture and making decisions on the longterm viability of the city. Responsible decisions which will impact ALL AmCan Residents today and tomorrow.

There are two sides to every story -open your eyes and ears.
Listen, digest and then Decide!!
Have a nice day and see you Thursday at council meeting..

LOL :-0

Post by Guest »

Why would anyone approach YOU to register dissatisfaction with the City's direction. I didn't see your name on any ballot. It seems you have set yourself up as the 6th council member.

The City as always had union problems, staff problems, water, sewer, land use problems... nothing has changed...

except one thing...you now also do not have TRUST.

The sorry state of this City means we have to move our City back onto the proper path. Maybe it is YOU who need to move out or move on...

We are FAR from financially solvent... that will come to light very soon!

signed: one of the few
concerned

my opinion

Post by concerned »

I agree with Mr. Rivera and the last poster. Each of us should act as the 6th council member.

As for the few-that's exactly the point. Why are two councill members representing the viewpoints of a few opposed to the interests of the city as a whole?

Post by Guest »

If memory serves, the editor of the POST WON BIG last election. That will be obvious to all in the fullness of time.

Take care of the problem now or the people will take care of it later.
AmCanFan

Echo guest above

Post by AmCanFan »

Well said guest above. Short memories these wee people have. I have not been disappointed with Coffey's win. She delivers as promised by inquiring, asking, and pointing out deficiencies in the system. She has created solutions, taken initiative, and has taken the "hits" with grace.

She obviously has formed a good relationship with other council members as I see the flow has greatly improved when I watch them. Issues are getting mainstreamed and there are less and less lulls. Do we credit this with Coffey? Maybe, but at least there is productive dialogue to resolve the issues, unless Luporini is in a foul mood then nobody is safe.

I like the direction the council is going. For a change. I trust they have more knowledge than the we do when dealing with sensitive personnel issues. That is why we elected them. There is no room for back seat drivers with a city to run.

Let's face it if all of us knew all of the facts then there wouldn't be a need for lawsuits right? So according to the agenda there are plenty facing the city. Does anybody know the details on any of them other than the obvious?

As for the Eagle. So desperate to sell papers they print nonsense. How sad.
truthcomingout

Post by truthcomingout »

The facts are Victor that Mark Joseph has not done such a great job in several areas. His relationship with staff is poor. Worse, is his relationship with this council and the lack of follow through on directives from the council. In finance where he is trained as you point out he does do a good job. But he is far from irreplacable.

You say you talked to 40 people; that sounds like a large exaggeration.

The comparison to Vallejo or Napa; who cares. Why not compare it to Portland, Dallas, Vacaville, Dixon, Walnut Creek, or Memphis for that matter. There are a whole lot of cities that are run much better than AC, better managed than AC as a whole.

To compare AC to a couple of local cities is small thinking. Get out of the box Victor. Your group is so insistant on the status quo. Change is good. Look around at all the newness here.

AC will do fine with the new city manager, and MJ will do fine somewhere else. I gather even you and your group will be ok too.

It is time for change. The council as a majority believes so too. Elected they are, to make hard decisions, but what they believe are the right ones. This is definately a correct move. In time, you too will agree.

A full audit of the city finances and practices will surely reveal just how bad it really is. Right now that is not possible but in time the truth will come out. When it does all in this city will realize what the council knew and the wisdom of the councils decision.

Be patient.

Big numbers

Post by Guest »

If memory serves, the editor of the POST WON BIG last election.
Oh please! Cindy Coffey might have one by big numbers at the polls. But let's remember the lies she told to get there. Remember her promise to bring forth all the petitioners signatures and have it said in court for the Walmart. Remember that was all a lie to get your vote. Remember how she was going to have a grand jury investigation on Luporini's dealings, what happened there. Nothing. She got the majority of votes by lying and manipulating the people.