Mayor Selection

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Mayor Selection

Post by Guest »

At tonight's City Council meeting the new Mayor and Vice-Mayor will be decided. Any thoughts on who you would like selected?

And the winner is...

Post by guest »

No one who is not willing to be held accountable
No one who sues their city
No one who has ethics issues pending

Who do you think is left?
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

A person who, instead of wanting to "make a difference" has the intelligence and fortitude to "make an improvement."

And, a person who will keep American Canyon City General Funds in American Canyon.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Well, who was elected the seats? I couldn't watch- too many neighborhood parties going on last night... :shock:

Mayor

Post by guest »

Congratulations to Cecil shaver for being re-elected as Mayor of American Canyon!
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

And who is our new Vice Mayor?
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Mayor Selection

Post by VicRiv »

Mayor Cecil and Vice Mayor Luporini.

I think the time has come where the mayor should be voted in by the citizens of AmCan. This would require a modification to the city charter.

The Vice Mayor could continue to be selected by the council.

Thoughts?
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Funny you say that at this moment! My friend and I literally just said the same thing! How do we go about doing this? I believe that the Mayor position would have turned out differently had the citizens had this choice...

Mayor

Post by guest »

I agree that the Mayor selection would have been different if the citizens had been allowed to vote. Leon clearly would have been voted in to replace Cecil Shaver. The vice-mayor I'm not sure who would have had that one. But anyhow best of luck to Cecil, again.

Post by Guest »

Not a chance would Leon have been voted in as Mayor! :roll:
Lori, yes, maybe even Cindy, but NOT Leon. I am a little bummed that Cecil is still Mayor. He has no control of C.C. meetings. I mean he didn't even know what to say during his time at the opening day for Little League! All I heard him say was, " What am I supposed to say?"
Nope, shouldn't have been him, and should never be Leon. Leon likes to take credit when others are doing the work. Or have you noticed how he always gets in to the picture? Always "on".

Mayor by Vote

Post by Guest »

I must admit I am unfamiliar with the procedure to elect a Mayor by popular vote. Is the person with the highest vote elected as Mayor? Or is it a separate item on the ballot?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I think the idea of the council picking a mayor is just fine, and probably is better from the bigger standpoint. It balances out and keeps government in check. One should read the Federalist Papers to read why this is important, it prevents the tryanny of the majority.

Thats how our judges are chosen, and how our electoral process works. If majority ruled, California or Texas would overpower other states like Ohio because they are so big and Ohio wouldnt have a say in anything.
guest01

Da'Mayor

Post by guest01 »

For Guest Hating on Leon:
Mr. Garcia is always in the paper because he's involved in the community. He's at most of the city and county functions and has represented the city well. He could start his own paper and include self portraits like another council member. But I think he has more class than that.
Whether you like Garcia or not-at least you know he's ethical and diplomatic.
homeboy

Post by homeboy »

I too, believe that the people should elect the Mayor. I think that if it must be this way, then changing Mayors every year is a good idea. It is one more reason to think seriously when voting for council members, as eventually, maybe, that person would be Mayor. In this city, the Mayor is only the one who runs the meetings, and has no more say in anything than any other council member. They all have equal voting powers!
As for Leon......................he appears at every function to get votes for Supervisor!!!! His true motives are not here in American Canyon. His true feelings are with the county. He gets out everywhere to be seen for votes the next time around for supervisor. He sides with the county every chance he gets. The sales tax is a good example. He did not fight for us with the sales tax spending plans or the road plans. The council found out about it late, as he did not bring the information forward.
He appears at every picture for the papers, he appears at every gathering, invited or not. He is very self serving and really doesn't care about American Canyon. Maybe that's why the council didn't put him in as Mayor. Anyone ask a member of the council? Ask one. They may tell you.

Happy Holidays!
a/c resident

above comment

Post by a/c resident »

Well said. Let's hope that the renomination of Shaver will give the much needed leadership this city needs. I was hoping for Luporini but second place can work too. Clean this place up guys, I am sick of reading about our poor decisions in the Register as if we don't see it down here.
homeboy

Post by homeboy »

I for one, as sick of the information not being brought forward. This city waste tons of money on consultants and extra help with contracts. What does this do to moral of the current city employees? They are told there is no possiblities of reaching higher levels within the city. The manager hires from the outside and gives no incentives to current employees. Is it time to change managers? What does this manager have that is so special that we keep giving him excuses? When is it time to make a change and get someone who knows how to run a city and let the department heads do their job? Does this Mayor have the guts? How about the Vice Mayor? Does she have the guts to do the job and stick to it? How about the other council members? I think Cindy does. Is she the only one? Is she the only one who stands out and makes choices?
Anyone willing to take the heat and stand up? What do you think?

Mayor

Post by guest »

The City Manager and staff are the only ones who know how to run the city. Mark Joseph does a awesome job and the citizens should be thankful. There are more than two council members who need to go though.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Keep the posts about the topic "Mayor Selection" not about how much you dont like somebody or I will just delete your posts like I just did for the last two. Thank you.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

My nickel's worth

Post by VicRiv »

If any elected council member wants to run for higher office that's fine with me. As far as I know both Cindy and Leon have expressed their desire to run for Supervisor.
I want my supervisor to live in AmCan and understand OUR issues and NEEDS because they reside here. It's been over ten years since that's been the case.

I would like my Mayor to be able to:
have the ability to negotiate complex contract issues
have some business savvy
understand the needs of ALL the people in town
be a problem solver NOT a complainer
possess the ability to be diplomatic
have earned my respect and trust
handle complex financial matters (like balancing the city's checkbook)

that's all folks!

Mayor Selection

Post by Guest »

Well said VicRiv, to close the matter Mark Joseph, City Manager should also be the Mayor! Mark meets all the criteria you listed.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Well, that's not even a possibility, THANK GOD, so who else?

What's your opinion

Post by guest »

Mel-who do you suggest?
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Scroll up to what Homeboy was saying. I ditto that .