Napa Junction Project?

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
wired911
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Napa Junction Project?

Post by wired911 »

With all the Wal-Mart controversy surrounding the “Napa Junction Project” it's been fairly difficult to focus on the project as a whole. So lately I've been standing back watching the construction unfold (as I'm sure many of you have), but what I seem to be seeing are apartment buildings…? Lots of them….and nothing else? Please can someone set me straight, please tell me those 10 or so huge 3 story building are not apartments complexes. Please tell me I am mistaken and what I’m really looking at is the beautiful park, the new retail store fronts, the lake, and everything else we were promised in this project. With total and complete disbelief that I could be right, I went on a search for the once available 150 page PDF with full color drawings of what was included in this project only to find it gone… does anyone know what’s really going on there and could bring me up to speed?
Guest01

Yes

Post by Guest01 »

There are apartments being built. There will be many units. They will also build a park with an outdoor ampitheatre, picnic area across the street.
itsybitsy

so much for the old mill

Post by itsybitsy »

Yes as the children cross the street to their parents with 18 wheelers going 27 miles per hour it will be so wonderful! Until a child gets ran over, the low-income housing is out of control, and the park becomes a refuge for the local druggies. Oh yeah! I can't wait :evil:
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Grow up

Post by VicRiv »

Itsy Bitsy -it's good to see your thought process is just that "small minded".
The NJ project will provide affordable housing for many locals who can not afford to purchase a home in the $500K-$850K home. Some of them are single parent, the elderly or retired people on fixed income.

As a property owner with rental properties, affordable housing doesn't necessarily mean that the amount a person earns has an impact on their character, responsibility or their 'Class'.

I grew up in an area close to south central LA- my parents raised us to be responsible. All six of us grew up to be professional people (including 2 doctors and a teacher). My parents raised us to work hard, respect each other and be self sufficient. While we know some neighbors who made different life decisions- they are decent people.

We have been fortunate that all of our tenants include some single parents, hard working couples, but all very moral people. Not druggies, prostitutes or other labels you cast in your very shallow posting.
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Its a SCAM

Post by MeadowsGuy »

When you see the scale of the park, "amphitheater" and "other" amenities, you will be VERY disappointed. They are tiny by comparison. It will also block the view or what SHOULD BE the town center and the Basalt Plant. This project was simply a way for a developer to buy his way into a large project under the cover of mixed use but he really wanted a BIG BOX WalMart and what is essentially a "captive audience" to shop there. Taking even money bets that police activity will be very prevalent there within three months of its opening. This project abuses the definition of mixed use... ask any planning commissioner worth his or her salt.

This whole NJ thing continues to be a joke to this day.... appeal or no appeal.

I don't blame CALTRANS one bit for wanting us to widen HW29 to six lanes. If you commute anywhere near this area, expect MAJOR delays during rush hour. It takes 45min from NAPA (Trancas) to Amcan Road during 5PM rush hour and that's on a good day. Wait for the accident day.

p.s. PROPS to Victor on his comments about graffiti. I wish that were the only problems AmCan had !!
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Plans? PDFs? Artist's renderings?

Post by merryjester »

Does anyone have access to the plans for this site? MeadowsDude - you speak as if you've seen the plan and know the relative sizes of the park/etc. I would very much like to see what this project is all about.

And a side note: what's with all of the sentimentality over the basalt plant? In a different posting, I've seen someone suggest it as a TOURIST destination :shock: It's the shell of an industrial eyesore, not ruins of some ancient culture of druids....

Post by guest »

Hey, get out of your cars and go look at the site. It's more than just apartment buildings, which makes it a bit easier. There is the main street, the park, and some store fronts. The apartments because they are the first built are definitely overwelming but go to the planning dept, they have the plans that show and then go look at the site, it feels less overwelming that way.

NJ Project

Post by Guest »

Napa Junction Project is quite a surprise when you remember ground zero and then see 3 stories up...