Interested in moving to American Canyon!!

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
cdlbr2000

Interested in moving to American Canyon!!

Post by cdlbr2000 »

Hello to all who read this. I have a family of 8. my huband and I and our 4 children, his uncle and his mother (my husbands mother and uncle are disabled and we take care of them).My husband was offered a job up in your area, (we are in southern cali)and we are looking for a good conunity to raise our children. Our oldest is 16 (boy) is interested in football and ROTC. Our 14year old (boy) is interested in all kinds of things. Our 9 year old (boy) likes baseball and is in our city league doing quite well and has intrests in other activities that keep him busy. We also have a 16 month little girl who loves to investigate. What I would like to know is what can you all tell me about the family atmosphere around American Canyon and the benifits of living there?

Thank you for your time,
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

You will find that American Canyon is a great place to raise a family as many families live here. I can honestly say we are more community based and more involved than most cities as you can see through these forums and the events that we have. Check out the Friday Night Live event or July 4th Fireworks event and you'll see exactly what I mean. Hope this helps.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
cdlbr2000

Post by cdlbr2000 »

Issa wrote:You will find that American Canyon is a great place to raise a family as many families live here. I can honestly say we are more community based and more involved than most cities as you can see through these forums and the events that we have. Check out the Friday Night Live event or July 4th Fireworks event and you'll see exactly what I mean. Hope this helps.
yes it does. thank you for your input.
Linda

Living in AmCan

Post by Linda »

I moved here last September and I love it. I find the area to be delightful, the property prices are rising but it is still cheaper than San Francisco. My family and I have a wonderful lifestyle. We could not ask for more, well perhaps more shops. I don't drive so it is difficult for me to do our family shopping but they are talking about getting a super Walmart so that should help. If you are thinking of moving get in touch cause I know that you will enjoy.
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Moving to American Canyon

Post by Melissa »

My husband and I moved here from Marin in 2000. We were very impressed with this City. Even with the growth so rapid, it still offers us a "small town feeling".
I feel like everywhere I go, there is someone I know, and everyone has so far been wonderful!
I have had wonderful experience with the schools as well. Even though my daughter will be entering the 1st grade and my other will enter Pre School, my outlook is very positive and I am very comfortable with the schools here.
The last poster is right, we do need a few more shops, but not the like of the proposed Super WalMart. That would destroy everything American Canyon has built and our reputation would be as such...
You should come up one Friday night and check us out. It really is a great time for all-
shelby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Do you Still Want a Walmart? Read This

Post by shelby »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 7NRMU1.DTL

Hello All,

Here is yet another reason why I don't want a Walmart in American Canyon. I don't think we should have a free camping site in the parking lot of our new downtown area.

Please read this article to see gain more insight before you make a decision about Walmart.
AmCanGal

American CAnyon

Post by AmCanGal »

We love it here! We have two little ones (under 3 years old), and are looking forward to the new schools and parks and watching the city grow! Good Luck! :)

Post by Guest »

move to vacaville
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

Anonymous wrote:move to vacaville

Again with the bad attitude... What's up?

Post by Guest »

thats not having a bad attitude. the original poster wanted to know about moving to the area with his family. i gave him valuable advice. move to vacaville. its the greatest community in the north bay. very family oriented, wonderful city government, shopping, lots of activities for the kids (ice skating, movies, bowling), and for the family (creekwalk concerts every friday night during the summer). i was not being negative, just giving the person some friendly advice.
littletrin2

day trip into American Canyon?

Post by littletrin2 »

Hi - I was interested in coming up to American Canyon to check out the town and look at some neighborhoods. My husband and twin baby boys and I are looking for a nice little town to relocate to (we currently live down in the Mid Penninsula area). We don't want to deal with any realtors yet, we just want to explore on our own.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to "tour". I would literally appreciate a street by street recommendation on where to go and what to see. I wouldn't want to miss anything. I have only driven past AC on my way to Napa, so I am not even sure the best place to turn off.

Please forgive the ignorance and I appreciate any suggestions....

Many thanks,

Lisa
Former Mid-Pen Resident

Reply to Littletrin...

Post by Former Mid-Pen Resident »

When you exit Hwy 80 from Vallejo to Hwy 29 and head north you are only minutes from AC. When you hit American Canyon Rd. if you go to the right you will see many of the new housing developments, mobile home parks and a new grammar school. It is also the side of 29 being considered for a new high school in a few years. Alot of plans are in the works on the east side of 29. New shopping center and town center. It is also surrounded by open space areas that will remain in that state. If you go to the west on American Canyon Rd. you will find new and old developments. If you continue along AC Rd. to Edgewater you will run into the wetlands. There are new homes along that road. If you come back to hwy 29 on any of the artery streets off of Edgewater you will hit the older homes (over 50 yrs old). Also, on the westside on and around Benton Way is AC Middle School, Donaldson Way Elementary, Recreation Center & Gym, Boys & Girls Club...This area is pretty much developed except to the north where development is currently being discussed.(More fields for sports, some housing, not sure of everything.) We are a small city divided by Hwy 29. So it really is up to you as to your preference. You may consider contacting the AC Chamber of Commerce. Possibly, they could provide more information. Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your day trip!
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

American Canyon summary

Post by Paul Maguire »

I moved to American Canyon from Alamo, in Contra Costa County. The location in AC is unbeatable, as you have access up highway 80 to Vacaville and Sacramento, on into Reno and Lake Tahoe. Highway 37 just down the road gives you access to Marin, and 101- which can take you into Sausalito ( a great place to see San Fran and shop or dine) and over the Golden Gate into San Francisco in about 45 min to 1:15 depending on traffic. Highway 80 takes you into the East Bay and to San Francisco too- and highway 780 merges with 680 to get into Contra Costa and the 680 Corridor which is a major employment corridor within 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic.

AC has GREAT weather, especially towards the wetlands side, where it cools off rapidly at night, from San Pablo Bay which ties into the Golden Gate. We get morning fog here, and it is not as hot here as up in Napa or in Vacaville. The Wetlands side is West of Highway 29.

AC is rapidly growing with new commercial which is bringing more dining and things to do, like a new gym, and services like doctors and such. Queen of the Valley Hospital is about 15 -20 minutes up the highwy in Napa, and having been to the ER a couple times, teh wait is short, the service top notch.

As with any growing small town, the politics are hot and heavy as the growth leads to decisions about hte direction of the town, what priorities are, and so on.

All in all it does have a small town feel, and being off the main highway 80 sort of off by itself, its rather quiet here, except during commute times for people going up valley into Napa, and on the weekends in the summer.

THere is a local private towered airport nearby with private charter and general aviation aircraft, the highway patrol, and lifeflight service.

There is a Poker room in town that I own, and several new retail hotels including the Marriott and the Gia Hotel scheduled to open next year.

There are plans for a new town center and there are these old Ruins here that will be incorporated into the town center concept, probably 3-5 years out.

A new high school is schedule for completion in 2011.

OUt highway 12, also close by, you can head to Fairfield which is rapidly expanding as well, and has a large shopping mall, and new commercial coming in the next year or two.

In North Vallejo nearby, just off 80, is a major shopping area, with brand names like Olive Garden, Home Depot, Costco, Old Navy, Jamba Juice, and my favorite, Pasta Pomodoro.

The negatives are that we are nieghbors to Vallejo which has some crime problems in some areas that are run down. However, there is new homes at Hyde Park selling for 1 million and in Hiddenbrook for close to that, then there are homes in vallejo for 280K- so it is a mixed bag there.
We have a few nutty people in town, I guess like most towns, that are rather vocal-and we have some traffic issues as the infrastructure has not kept up with the demand. THere has been some past mismanagement of infrastructure. The town original was here years and years ago, and only recently broke out to grow into a larger community, and some of the infrstructure is failing, and in need of repair. That is getting handled, but will require tearing up streets, creating more traffic and congestion.
As well there is a battle over the Super Wal Mart wanting to come in, which is in court, and you can read about it here- its a long story.

AC being in Napa County has a strong residential home market, with strong appreciation the last 5 years, of over 140% in sum- That has settled down some , but you can still buy a large home 3000-4000 sq feet here from the mid 700's to the high 800's.

That is still relatively inexpensive for the SF Bay Area.

We have a city council of 5, with an appointed Mayor, and a city manager. The city has an active planning department, a recent new planning director, a rather recent new public works director, and an interim finance director.

The weekly paper is the American Canyon Eagle, which is marginal, and a montly paper called the Napa Solano Post which is good reading, and the Echo which is basically an a free throw away and IS an Echo of the news from other papers and events, and the city business postings.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

Lake Berryessa is a large recreational facility about 30 minutes away- and there are two airports- Oakland, which is about 45 minutes to 1 hour driving, depending on traffic, and Sacramento (SMF), which is about an hour and very easy to fly in and out off.

welcome

Post by guest »

With a family of 8 you will fit right in. Most of the newer homes are extended families. You might want to check on availability with the local schools prior to transferring your kids as most are at capacity.

And as families have experienced in the past if there is no room them they put your kids in other schools with transportation courtesy of you.

Also call the local recreation department and see if there are activities that your children will like.

Investigate the local churches and see if they meet your needs.

Finally, view the city website and see all of the future construction coming and currently being performed in this town. Especially on how it will affect where you buy your home. Having non-stop building going on is not fun.

Lastly, ask yourself why you want to live here. American Canyon has been a beacon for large families wanting large houses. but they still do everything where they are from or spend a lot of time commuting. Make a point if you move here to invest in and support the local economy such as restaurants and other local businesses.

We can't afford to have anymore residents who just use this as a sleeping point. We need committment to community.

Otherwise welcome. It is important that you hear everything.

come on down!

Post by guest »

American Canyon is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. While the home prices have sky-rocketed, the small town feel is the main allure.

The city has homes built over 50 years years ago, despite being incorporated 11 years ago. Progress has offered both positives and negatives which are being dealt with. Infrastructure problems, traffic and other challenges which are present when 14,000 gather in a location less than 3 miles total.

American Canyon is the second largest city in Napa County and the least recognized. We offer all the benefits the Napa Valley offers, without much of the snobbery.Your children will benefit from attending schools in the Napa Valley Unfified School District.

We are currently stuggling with our identity, retail offerings and other growing pains, but life here is great.

Hope this help!!

Post by Guest »

Well thanks...I think I will stay in the bay area.

Move to AC

Post by Guest »

Heh...Good job in bringing new residents into town!
littletrin2

thanks so much

Post by littletrin2 »

Thanks for all the advice on our day trip...it sounds like a really wonderful place. I can't wait for my husband and I to check it out. We now live in Palo Alto and there is no way we will ever be able to afford a house here, plus the traffic is a nightmare.

So we may be seeing you all soon! Thanks again.

Lisa