Why won't the city help the citizens

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Why won't the city help the citizens

Post by Guest »

The Mobilehome parks are being attached by the Park owners.
There are CA laws, Mobilehome Residency Law, and their is currently and for over 10 years a City Ordinance in affect to suposedly protect us as homeowners.
We have to contact the state if the Park Owner is breaking an MRL law. Do you know how hard it is to get the state to do something? In my park the owner is buying out the owners of single wide homes and then tearing then down and installing brand new double wides. Take note that the double wides are being installed in single wide spaces.
He is rerouting and/or working on the water, gas, electric and sewer lines. He has changed lot lines, is not obeying the overall space that the mobilehome takes up on the lot, foundations are not level and probably more that he is doing illigally. He is suppose to have a permit to do any of this. This is all in the CA Codes. Does he? Some permits are suppose to be through the city and others with the state. I would say that everyone of the homes he has installed in the past year is most likely illegal in some way.
Then there is the subject of the City Ordinance. Napa Housing Authority is paid $65,000 a year to oversee it. I've seen the contract between the two and it has not been honored in many aspects. I would like to make $65,000 to do nothing. In fact, I could do a better job and charge the city less.
The Mobilehomes have been here for over 40 years and some of the current tenants have been here that long. Alot of the tenants are considered low-income people and are having a bad enough time paying the rent with the economy the way it is and our Park Owner is trying to raise the rent to some elderly persons over 100% and others in the park at a minimun of 50% of their current rent amount. The City Ordinance was suppose to protect us with such enormous amounts, but it hasn't. The City is not keeping an eye on Napa Housing and Napa Housing is not doing their job by not over seeing it We have had to hire a lawyer and raise $10,000 and we are still fighing it and will have to raise another couple thousand dollars. Our Park owner does not treat us as people and will not acknowledge us as human beings. We are just $$.
We have been in contact with City Officials. Brought up many issues about the Ordinance and the Napa Housing Authority but, nothing is being done. The City will not help us. I am ashamed to admit that I live in this poorly run City. Especially, when they, the City Council, can send $10,000 to Katrina Victims but can't give us, people that live in the city, a dime.
Have they been bought off by the Park Owners? Are they scared to stand up and up hold the Ordinance in fear of protecting the smaller, less fortunate people living here and be critisized by the more fortunate people in the city?
Elected City Officials need to start having a little compassion and stop start looking back once in a while rather than focusing on all this growth, as we too are part of the population that gets to vote. I personally will not vote for anyone of them, if the opportunity arises.
Past Mobilehome Owner

Post by Past Mobilehome Owner »

I was a previous resident of a mobile home park in San Pablo. The same issues were going on there: the tearing down of single wides and bringing in these new mobile homes. Yes the problem of zoning, proper space, etc. becomes an issue. The only organization that was willing to help us was the GSMOL. Golden State Mobile Home Owners League. A representative came and met with residents and gave advice. You may want to contact them I believe they are out of Sacramento. As for your attorney, I am really surprized that you had to come up with such a high retainer amount in order for him to help you. I work for a law firm and I suggest that you contact the California Bar Association and ask for a referral. You should be able to find an attorney to take your case on a contingency rather than having to put up a lot of money.

It is very sad what is happening in these types of parks. Good luck to you!
americancanyhomeowner

enough already

Post by americancanyhomeowner »

The property owner OWNS the property. You rent there. If the property OWNER wants to get rid of 30 and 40 year old ratty mobile homes, so what? No one wants them anyway. Most of them are fire traps. Outdated. And ugly. Single wide mobile homes are just not functionaly anymore.

The new mobile homes are safe, modern, look good, and are useful for residents who want a nice place to live that is affordable. Whats wrong with that?

The big pain in the #$% factor is residents bitching and complaining over and over when an owner does something they dont like. Well I bet the residents living in those new mobile homes like it.

Is the city suppose to spend thousands of dollars to fight 30 dollar rent increases too?

So get off it already.

Home Sweet Home!

Post by Guest »

What makes you better than anyone else? Why are you so angry about people having to live where they can afford to live? Your post shows such a lack of compassion it makes me sick! Be thankful for what you have!
I hope it's never your mother that has to deal with an increase on a fixed income that she just can't afford. The majority of people in the U.S. are just one paycheck away from being homeless. Get a heart!

Mobilehome Community

Post by Guest »

Thank You to the ones that have given me/us compassion and support.
I bought my home over 13 years ago and helped get the Ordinance approved. I was under the understanding that we would be protected in some way to keep our rents at a realistic amount. When I say realistic I mean it does not take 3/4 of my check each month. I should still have enough money to buy food, gas to go to work, up keep or improvements to my home and maybe enough to go the a show once. If this guy, the owner, gets his way my rent will go up $206.00 a month.
Niow, if you are an employer and you had someone that you paid to do a job and he did nothing "WOULD YOU KEEP ON PAYING HIM?" i think not. So, WHY IS THE CITY PAYING THE NAPA HOUSING AUTHORITY $65,000 A YEAR TO DO NOTHING EXCEPT TELL US WE NEEDED A LAWYER?" with our particular case. Ask to see the contract between the two. I'll bet if you had a contract with them you would not keep paying them?
Their are some seniors here where their rent will increase $300 to @350 a month on their Social Security income and nothing else. I do hope your Mom and/or Dad are never in this prediciment.
I do agree that the new mobiles coming in here are nice but he, the park owner, is not abiding by the Building Codes, Permit Codes and/or Construction Codes. These new ones don't even have yards and the one going in on my street will barely have parking for their cars.
Thank You again for the two that does have some compassion and if you see/hear/or read that we are having a fund raiser please stop by and support us.
americancanyhomeowner

mobile home parks and income

Post by americancanyhomeowner »

The mobile home parks are being improved by the owners with better, newer housing.

The costs of running a park continues to increase every year, take the costs of power and fuel as an example.

One poster is talking about a social issue and mixing it with a business issue. The parkowner is not the government. It is not the park owners problem if some of the residents there had poor financial planning, or worse, no financial plan. Their plight is sad, their circumstances troubling. But that is not the park owners fault, now is it?

What is one of the biggest costs for park owners- LEGAL FEES- to deal with frivilous complaints and lawsuits, legal aid groups who sue to get their own attorneys fees- and right behind that, INSURANCE costs, from all the legal costs.

Social security just was raised with a cost of living increase over 4%.

The rents in many of these parks have been artificially low for years. All the government wants to do is put the burden of providing low income housing as mandated by the state on the backs of park owners.

Park owners often negotiate with hardship cases. But everyone is not a hardship case. And plenty of owners create unnecessary problems that end up being the reason their rents end up being raised from capitalized costs to run the park.

Take some responsibility for your own condition. You moved there.

You claim your rent is going up potentially 206 per month- well what where you paying 13 years ago, what are you paying now, and I bet what you are paying hasn't even kept up with inflation. And I guarantee you the tax collector has, pge has, the american canyon water district has, legal fees have, and so on.

Is the park owner suppose to subsidize you?
Is the city suppose to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees so your rent only goes up $100.00 instead of $200.00?

3/4 of your check? One of two, ? My house payment takes up all of one of mine and 1/2 of my wifes.

Mobile home Parks

Post by guest »

Living in the mobile home park is still the most inexpensive place to reside in the area. Even more inexpensive than the apartments. If seniors are having trouble why doesn't somebody contact their family and get them some assistance?

As for the park ordinance it was designed to help the parks and when the city has to step in it does as with the 3000 Broadway. This lawsuit created by fraudulant signature collection over a minimal increase to rent has cost the city 100,000's of thousands of dollars. The person responsible actually moved to a better, newer park in Santa Rosa paying more money, go figure.

As for the park described above, the laws for Mobiles are governed by the state. They are understaffed and incompetant. However, it is still run by the state.

As for the city, they are doing several things many of which you don't know of. What I want to know is that hasn't all but about 50 people paid the rent increase? Additionally didn't the owner assist those who needed assistance to get section 8? And didn't raise the rent until the section 8 kicked in and then waived all of the back fees for them to not pay? Yes owners can be manipulative, but they are in business. If they were bad in business people can move with their homes.

As for the legal fees, attorneys are not cheap. I was told the attorney for park was 2 1/2 times what the attorney for the residents charged. So in reality who made out?

The only way you will be able to make a park work is to organize each park into it's own homeowners association, getting a state number, and electing a board. This can only be accomplished with at least 90% of the residents involved, even section 8 can join. Keep the dues minimal and then you have an elected voice to work with management, owners, and become the city representatives.

You can't expect an attorney to work for free, none will in this area of law at least that has been my experience.

I feel bad for you, but the cost of housing is going up and it is not the city's responsibility. The cost of utilities, workers, and doing business is going up. All of these costs are passed through one way or the other. Either as a homeowner, business owner, apartment owner, or mobile home owner. Nobody is exempt.

I think it is time to get creative with the owners, for example offer to give up something that costs money in lieu of a pass through to save money. Remember the more the complaints to improve or add items the more likely the owner will pass through the costs. That is a state reg not a city reg.

As for the city it is illegal for them to pay your legal bills or to represent you at this point and you know it.
Sympathizer

Rent Increases

Post by Sympathizer »

Increase in rents can be disturbing for people on a fixed income. Sometimes illnesses have wiped people out financially, or spouse wasn't added to a retirement plan, and sometimes it is just life happens. We do have to help the less fortunate and they should help themselves as well.

People who meet the income guidelines receiving section 8 never pay more than 30% of their net income are section 8 as long as they meet the income guidelines never pay more than 30% of their income.

ex. Your monthly Income is $600.00 less medical deductions of $200.00 = $400.00 net income. 30% of your net income = $120.00 a month for rent. So even if your rent goes up it is not going to effect you if your receiving section 8. Under section 8 property owners are allowed fair market rent whether it is a piece of land, a house or an apartment. Even section 8 properties have fair market rent. This is to encourage people who no longer are eligible for section 8 to seek other housing so people who do need the assistance it is available to them.

In regards to the older mobile homes. It would be nice to see if there are carpenters, or maybe habitat for humanity could step in to dress them up. Many older mobiles are still in good condition but just need a paint job and new windows. If your mobile home had a citizens group such as an HOA maybe the mobile home community could help work together with some of the non-profit groups in the AmCan to address this and possible come up with some solutions.

PG&E has programs to reduce the amount of your bill based on your income. Also, they have an excellent weatherization program for low income people. The cost is free to you. If your disabled and need special equipment that uses energy like oxygen machines, electric wheel chairs, electric beds, etc. You eligible for discounted energy bills regardless of your income. Just by calling PG&E and having them send you a form.

We have some excellent programs in American Canyon with the Food bank that delivers Monday - Friday at the rec center on Elliot next to the police department. Meals on Wheels will also deliver prepared meals to your home daily. For as low as a $1.00 a day for food.

Well I hope this puts some people at ease.

Post by Guest »

There are some good suggestions here to save money. But don't second guess the park owner by saying new windows and paint is all that is needed on these 30-50 year old trailers. Then what, the owner of the trailer gets sued for everything they own when some " poor helpless victim" gets burned to death in the thing.

The park owners OWN the park. You don't. If you want to be a "sypathizer" you won't last long as a property owner. Are you going to go to work everyday and take your check to subsidize your tenants?

I doubt it. You are going to take care of your own obligations and your own family.

You want to help the less fortunate, thats great. Adopt one or donate to a soup kitchen or some charity or church. But don't expect the park owners to do it. It is not their obligation.
Sympathizers

Anonymous

Post by Sympathizers »

Anonymous wrote:There are some good suggestions here to save money. But don't second guess the park owner by saying new windows and paint is all that is needed on these 30-50 year old trailers. Then what, the owner of the trailer gets sued for everything they own when some " poor helpless victim" gets burned to death in the thing.

The park owners OWN the park. You don't. If you want to be a "sypathizer" you won't last long as a property owner. Are you going to go to work everyday and take your check to subsidize your tenants?
I really think you need to re-read my statement. I am not asking the park owner to put out any money or effort. What I am telling the citizens who "RENT" at the park if they don't want to lose their homes, they better get creative. Have you ever heard of retrofitting?

I am trying to offer some solutions the tenants may not have thought of. I see you haven't come up with any yourself. So get over yourself! Unless you have a postive solution that may help these people.

Post by Guest »

Do you realize that materials used in mobile homes decades ago are toxic when burned, and the fumes alone will kill you. Abestos was used in some of these trailers prior to 1978. New mobile homes have fire retardant materials, often have sheetrocked walls which slows the movement of fire, up to code wiring, heating, and air conditioning.

The park owners are improving the park by pulling these old trailers out of there.

But yet, the resident complains, thier too big, and so on.

Well, it appears to me that homes all over the bay area are closing together than ever before, because their is not enough room and the cost of the land is higher than ever.

Mobile home parks are no different.
Sympathizer

Old vs. New

Post by Sympathizer »

I have a few questions.

1. Who owns the mobile homes? The park owner or the tenant?
2. Have the tenants gone to the city and requested a copy of the permits pulled for new mobile homes going in to ensure they are being done properly?
3. Current residents who do rent their lot, is it in your contract on what your lot size is?
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Blame The Council

Post by MeadowsGuy »

As someone who was involved in the incorporation of this City, you should know that we understood that the "mobile" homes are anything but "mobile". If you don't believe that .... just try moving one!!

The City in those early days paid special concern to the parks for one very important reason... they were our "affordable" housing. The number of units we had in these parks satisfied the State of California that we were doing our part to keep the overall housing stock affordable by working with the Park Owners on rent control.

The current Council DOES NOT UNDERSTAND that holding down rent increases by the Owners IS KEY to maintaining the AmCan's housing balance. Mark Joseph has let an unimagined amount of growth RUN RAMPANT and he and the council should be held accountable for this next election. Only now, after many complaints and suffering by the citizens, are we seeing even potholes being patched. Wow!! I guess that makes up for everything.

By the way, in 1996, most of you the parks voted in Don Colcleaser and his minions. In a way, you are getting what you paid for... unchecked growth and a series of lies about how the City would protect you. He just cared about one thing and only one thing... his nursery. Now that he's made his $$$$ and left, guess what? Nothing has really changed.

It one thing to oppose redevelopment, quite another to make a city "liveable". The Council has only given you folks in the parks one option, you have to get together and "buy out" the owner and form your own association. You should talk with the folks at the old World Marine and ask them how they did it. It was not easy...

I wish I had better news but ...

Suggestion, make this an issue next election. Get ideas from the candidates. Ask them what the planning commission has done to protect the parks? Nothing. Ask them what the general plan says about the parks... plenty. Get to know the law and hold these people accountable.

Mobile parks are one of the biggest moneymakers in the State. Owners just "pass thru" any increases they get in order to the tenants in order maintain "their" lifestyle.. which I hear is quite good these days.

Conversions of singles to doubles just puts one more nail in affordability equation and that means that Amcan MUST build an affordable unit somewhere else... as more of these become "unaffordable". Maybe another park is coming to a neighborhood near you?
sympathizer

mobile homes

Post by sympathizer »

Okay so for those on City Council. All houses being built have to have a minimum 10 feet from the fence and 20 feet from the sidewalk. So what is the rule when it comes to mobile homes????

Also the AMCAN does not have to worry as much about low-income housing, because with the land swap deal we agreed to take-in 387 units for low-income housing with county. Therefore, the best way residents of mobile home parks can voice their opinions will be to show up at city council meetings in mass numbers asking the city council what they are willing to do. Get petitions passed around and of course VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers to some of your responses

Post by Guest »

First of all I would like to thank you for all of your suggestions and ideass. I had no idea that I would bring so many when I posted my concern.
1. City Officials and Napa Housing Authority
We pay $24 a year, I know it isn't much, but each space pays this for the administration of the Mobilehome Ordinance (RSO). In turn the city contracted the Napa Housing Authority to administer it costing $65.000 a year.. THIS IS NOT BEING DONE. The City nor NHA is following the contract between the two. In the long run we the tenants are left holding the bag.
2. Yes we have the California Mobilehome Residancy Law (MRL) which is part of the CA Civil Codes. But, on top of these laws there are more Civil Codes that he must adhere to and he is not. I have watched one particular home tore down and the different stages of installing another. Our owner has worked on utility lines, moved lot lines, not installed new or repaired foundations and the blocks underneath are not straight, homes are being put ontop of utility lines, permits are not being applied for with the city nor the state, a home is not suppose to take up more than 75% of the lot and this includes the awnings on porches and car ports. This is just naming a few of what is happening.
Granted some of the homes need improvement or replaced but not the way our Owner is doing it.
Sellers are having a hard time because applications to rent are not being approved when they have already qualified for a loan to buy the home.
The park has a program for reimbursement of the cost of paint if I paint the outside of my home. Sounds like a good plan but he tried to include this as an expense and a reason for the increase. If I was expected to pay for my neighbors paint, WHY WAS I NOT ASKED OR CONFIRED WITH BEFORE HE IMPLEMENTED IT?.
Our owners DO NOT inform us, have meetings or such on these types of things. One lady got a notice that her driveway was going to be improved 2 days later but, they preped it that day without her knowledge. To this day her driveway is still not improved and the prep material is still there. They think that they can come on our property anytime they want. Not true. I rent this land just like someone rents an apt. The MRL even states it.
We have gone to the City and NHA but to no avail. Our rent increase should have stopped right at the beginning by NHA because the Park Owner did not abide by the Ordinance procedures. Then to top it off the Arbitrator did not follow the Ordinance either. Yet we the tenants are paying the price of trying to get someone to say THE LAW MUST BE FOLLOWED.
We followed the ordinance and gathered a pettition. The NHA said we did not need to but, we did it any way. Remember that this was Oct 2004 and now the Park Owner is saying that we did not have the approval of the tenants of the park to object to the increase. He is playing games with us. We have to follow the law everyday in some way or another. Is it the money the reason he does not have to follow the law.
Money talks but at this point I say Money sucks. I am a one income person, single and just trying to make ends meet. I am currently unemployed and don't qualify for Section 8 when I do work but the last 2 interviews I've been on are only paying $10 hr. No ONE person can make it on that. I don't have any bills except living expenses and my house payment. Therefore, I feel for these elderly and disabled people.
I bought my home 14 years ago with the picture of being able to own a home and having it paid off by the time I retired and would be able to not have to move again. Not true if my rent goes up as much as he wants. When I moved in my rent was $275 a month. I had a daughter that went to school in Napa, a car payment, and of course more expenses with two of us. My daughter is now gone, my car is paid off and the expenses have come down but I still can not afford to stay here if I work for $10 an hiour.
I really don't think that we should have to fight to keep our home and they are not mobile anymore. The cost for a permit to put it on the road is enormous and most parks do not have any emply lots.
If you would like to send a donation for our cause send it to 2525 Flosden Rd, American Canyon 94503, Attention GMSOl Chapter 234.
And, if you are out driving one day drive into the park and have a look around.

Post by Guest »

Well, it sounds like you need to get industrious and start working.

Post by Guest »

That is all you have to say! Gee, I hope you lose your job, get to the point where you may lose your house, your car needs brakes and your kids want to go to the prom and you have used all your saved money and your retirement money. Then where and what are you going to do?

Cold As Ice

Post by Guest »

To the previous posters...You actually make me sick...I have had alot of misfortune in my life not because of my choices but because of fate or bad luck whatever... You have no idea how difficult it is to keep your self worth and have to step down into a world you have no experience in to survive. "get industrius and start working". Enjoy it while it lasts... I hope you never have to live it but...from history in AmCan your day will come. The football, PTA, Little League maybe takes up your time now...but the husband will get tired of the commute! The house loses it's status! Your friends are so self-involved that you are left alone! Unfortunately, you will learn the hard way and then you will remember how ignorant and cold you have been on this site...It unfortunately is only a matter of time!