Hurricane Rita

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Stacy Su

Relief Aid for Victims of Hurricane Katrina

Post by Stacy Su »

New Orleans has ordered 30000 body bags. There are approxiamately 100K+ people still in the city. It will be a minimum of 16 weeks before people will be allowed to return to their homes or whats left of them.

Many of the outer cities are taking in victims. They will provide food, shelter and clothing for the next 4 months. Abbeville, LA which is 120 miles west of New Orleans has a population of 13k people. Fifty percent of the population is under the poverty level. They will be taking in over 2000 victims. They need your help.

The Abbeville Police Department is requesting donations for the following:

Baby Wipes, Diapers, Baby Formula, Tooth Paste, Tooth Brushes, Hand Sanitizer, Deoderant, Shampoo, Pillows & Blankets.

If you live in the Vallejo/Napa Area you can drop donated items before 3 pm tomorrow at the trailer that says Katrina Relief by the flag pole at Canyon Oaks Elementary School. Other wise you can ship your donations to:

Katrina Relief Aid
C/O Abbeville Police Department
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

If you would like to make a cash donation make checks payable to "Gulf Coast Bank", in the memo area put Katrina Relief Aid and mail to:

Katrina Relief Aid
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

This is the worst disaster in the History of the United States. Our fellow citizens need our help. If you are Registered Nurse, Doctor or EMT and would like to help you can contact the Red Cross at 1-800-HELPNOW. They will send you to the areas that need your skills.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Thank you for the information. If you want to help these people I would recommend donating to the 700 club (http://www.cbn.com - Christian Broadcast Network). I am a member and they do wonderful things, I have already donated some extra money. The American Red Cross is also a good place to donate money too. We have an American Canyon (Napa County) chapter, I am not sure how many people are in it nowadays but when I joined I remember them sending some people over from Napa County during a hurricane several years ago. If you are a nurse or doctor they need your help. If anybody has any ideas on how American Canyon can help please let me know. God bless and pray for the families who are involved.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

The best way to help is to send money per the red cross web site- it is the fastest way to get bulk supplies that are known to be safe to eat, clearn to sleep on, or sanitary to use
Stacy Su

Money

Post by Stacy Su »

The Gulf Coast Bank Account Was set-up pacifically From the Vermillion Parish Catholic Charities. This account is to house, feed, and purchase supplies for these 2200 victims that will be in Abbeville, LA. Abbeville is at a 50 percent poverty level as it is. Their kindness & generosity taking the victims in will put a great burden on their infrustructure. The least we can do is help our fellow countrymen.
stacy su

Red Cross

Post by stacy su »

Just as a post script The Red Cross hasn't been helping the feed or house the 600 victims that are currently there. Also a RN Friend of mine contacted Red Cross because she wanted to help out for a week and they denied her help. The Red Cross stated "We need people who can make a 3 week commitment. When I talked to my friend who is a dispatcher at the police department she said all the hosipitals are overwhelmed due to the influx of people. So she is coordinating with the RN to have her help out at Abbeville General.

Help

Post by Guest »

What I have seen on TV (MSN ch 60) no relief agencies have been present in areas affected by the hurricane for days. This is absolutely unbelievable to me as a US citizen that our government is so unprepared for an emergency at home!
Help as much as you can!
I could only offer soap and shampoo today to the truck at Canyon Oaks.(Extra items I had stockpiled in my home) Whatever you are able to contribute is desperately needed. These people have nothing!
I heard one man (a victim ) say today. We are recognized throughout the world as the strongest nation in the world...Where is the help for our own?
This could be us if the "Big One" ever hit in California. I don't want to hear "We have been warning people forever!"
Help in any small way you can!
This catastrophe totally brings home to me, all the warnings from the Fire Chief into prospective. I will start paying more attention to what disaster relief for our community really means.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Hurricane Relief Trip

Post by Mel »

Wanted everyone to know that Darrin and Valerie Burr have overfilled the trailer and are on their way to Abbeville,LA. I will Thank everyone on their behalf. For such short notice, our community came together to help and that is a wonderful and encouraging thing. Thank you.

What's next?

Post by Guest »

Is there any other drop off site for relief effort?

Donations

Post by guest »

You can donate at "Welcome to American Canyon" Night at Canyon Plaza tonight from 6:00-9:00pm. The Kiwanis are accepting donations as well as Vintage Bank.

If you donate $$ via Kaiser- they will match all cash donations.

Thanks

NOTE TO DONORS!!

Post by Guest »

Channel 7 talked about this yesterday.

The flooding in LA. and the surrounding areas is indeed tragic. Unfortunately, we are beginning to hear about unscrupulous people slithering out from under their rocks.

Keep in mind...NONE of the non-profits (Red Cross, Salvation Army or United Way) will contact you via email for donations.

Best to offer donations in the forms of Checks instead of cash. You will be able to write off your donation as a tax deduction and also have your cancelled check to ensure it went to the correct location and the people who need it.

HUGE Donation

Post by guest »

Like them or not...Actions speak very loudly..

BENTONVILLE, Ark., Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Following President
Bush's announcement today that former Presidents Bush and Clinton will lead a nationwide fundraising effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, Wal-Mart President and CEO Lee Scott contacted President Clinton and the White House and committed $15 million from Wal-Mart to jump-start the effort. As part of this commitment, Wal-Mart will establish mini-Wal-Mart stores
in areas impacted by the hurricane. Items such as clothing, diapers, baby
wipes, food, formula, toothbrushes, bedding and water will be given out free
of charge to those with a demonstrated need.
Wal-Mart previously donated $2 million in cash to aid emergency relief
efforts and has been collecting contributions at its 3,800 stores and CLUBS,
and through its web sites [www.walmartfacts.com, http://www.walmart.com,
http://www.walmartfoundation.org, http://www.walmartstores.com, http://www.samsclub.com].
Through its Associate Disaster Relief Fund, the company will also give
displaced associates immediate funds for shelter, food, clothing and other
necessities.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood
Markets and SAM'S CLUBS in all fifty states. Internationally, the company
operates in Puerto Rico, Canada, China, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, United
Kingdom, Argentina and South Korea. The company's securities are listed on
the New York and Pacific stock exchanges under the symbol WMT.

SOURCE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

yea right

Post by guest »

SOURCE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. that says it all....LOL

All companies are stepping up except they lack organization. As for Wal-Mart, heck they have to help, a good portion of thier customer base is offline. 3% of thier stores were hit. Somebody told me that they opened up the store in New Orleans to "help" people. Oh sure like who is going to stop the looting...besides I am sure they will double up and get a big fat insurance payoff.
Councilmember Coffey

Needed School Supplies

Post by Councilmember Coffey »

The next project for Abbeville is to get the kids in school. School began 3 weeks ago. We are assembling backpacks for kids of all ages. We can use backpacks that are in good condition or new. Additionally any extra school supplies including paper, notebooks, and anything else that a kid can use. Calculators for larger kids, we all have extra stuff laying around. We officially adopted this small 13K member town last night to aid and assist.

They are focusing on families. We need to help them as they are not receiving any assistance from the Red Cross, Salvation Army or FEMA. As a community could we take in this many families? Our joint efforts will pay off immediately let's work together.

We are planning 2 18-wheelers to travel with small goods, food, and more supplies when we get word on what is needed during the next 30 days. Please gather your school items as we will need them as soon as we get the notice of students on Monday or Tuesday. Watch this site for drop off information or we can pick it up. No donation too small. If you don't have the time to shop for school supplies we will accept gift cards for items that we have not received enough of. If you would like to assist us please email cindy@cindycoffey.com we can use everybodys time and assistance.

Thank you to the citizens of American Canyon.

Post by guest »

Reading newspaper reports and seeing the reports on TV it seems as if the organisation of the rescue of the poor unfortunates is not good. The stealing of goods from shops and supermarkets is causing more concern to the police than the rescue of people in dire circumstances.

Whatever is stolen is now useless to the business, food will go rotten, garments and every other kind of goods including pharmaceuticals will be affected by damp and water and be unsaleable. Do the authorities think that large business's are going to send boats down the flooded streets of New Orleans to reclaim their stock !

What is a worry is that rifles and guns have been taken from Wal Mart, but if they had securely locked them up when they vacated the building they would not have been stolen.

Seems to me, that, as always, whatever the circumstances, property and goods are regarded with more importance than people. There are supposed to be hundreds of bodies trapped in buildings and floating around and if the retrieval of those bodies is not undertaken in the high temperature there will be a mass outbreak of disease which will create more problems.

The problems of Iraq arrived in the Deep South in 24 hours, the only thing missing are suicide bombers.

This is from a resident's blog.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

the focus needs to be people

Post by Paul Maguire »

It is distressing to me that there is all this concern about law and order against looters while people are dying in the street from dehydration, lack of food, lack of medicines to stay alive(diabetics) and other issues like clean clothing and shelter.

These law and order types are on TV talking about "we will prosacute to the fullest extent of the law"- They are SO off point.

Who cares if people are taking stuff- a good majority are probably looking for clean clothes, something to eat or drink, etc. I doubt someone in interested in taking a Television and carrying down a street waste high in filthy water.

The point is how physical things are put before people. It is a sad commentary when the mayor redirects 1500 police offices to go after looters meanwhile his own citizens are dying in the streets.

All this junk can be replaced, and a good majority of it is damaged already. Further, even if it is usable stuff, there is not going to be anyone living there for a long time to buy it. Commerce will cease for some time.

Meanwhile, I think more in our government are 'getting it' that we dont want to hear about all this law and order bs, we want to see people given the full resources of the federal government down there to handle the situation. That happened a bit more today.

What a horrific situation.

New Orleans

Post by Guest »

I understood that the reason military forces and police were needed was because of the gangs in New Orleans that were shooting at innocent victims of the hurricane, tourists, medical personnel, etc. There was an interview today with a fire & rescue worker from Menlo Park. He is in New Orleans to help. He said yesterday they were not allowed out on any rescue missions because of the danger in the city from these roving gangs. I actually was very impressed with the Mayor of New Orleans this morning. He did not hold back on letting the government know what he thought of their non-assistance.
Stacy Su

Hurricane Relief Effort

Post by Stacy Su »

Thank you to everyone who donate on Wednesday & Thursday.

On Wednesday afternoon I received a call from Valerie Burr saying her husband and she want to go to New Orleans and help out. I told her I have been in touch with a high school classmate that lives outside of New Orleans and they are taking in victims. By 5:00 pm I had sent out 100 emails, a posting on craig's list and american canyon online. Valerie's husband Darren had 500 flyers made up and a Hurrican Katrina banner was donated by Sign-A-Rama in Vallejo. We starting making phone calls. I contacted councilwoman Cindy Coffey who starting contacting people.

Darren & Valerie left 9:00 pm on Thursday, with a trailer full of donations.
Food4Less donated a pallet of water, formula & diapers, Safeway Vallejo donated 24 cases of water, Smart & Final donated 24 cases of water, Costco Vallejo donated $200 of baby formula (which was matched by a private citizen) Broadway Market donated water & cookies, The AmCam food bank donated a large amount of food, The AmCam Thrift store donated all their blankets, pillows, pillowcases & sheets, citizens dropped off dropped off more donations. The City of American Canyon donated $200 towards the gas fund and the other cash was donated by private citizens towards the gas fund. Valerie and Darren are paying their own
way down and back. The $450 collected for gas will be for them to purchase containers of gas to take to Louisianna for the people who need it. They will also be bringing back anyone who wants a ride out to California or along the way back.

Our City Council was fabulous stepping up to the plate. Councilwomen Cindy Coffey was able to get donations from business who had told us no. Councilwoman Lori Luporini was out making phone calls getting donations. Vice Mayor Leon Garcia helped get the food from the food bank. On Thursday Night at the American Canyon City Council meeting the City Council agreed to adopt the City of Abbeville, LA to help with the victims of relief.

These victims still need our help. The victims who are children will be
enrolling in school on Monday, September 12th and will need school supplies. Southwest airlines will drop the shipment to the Lafayette Airport in Louisiana. The Abbeville Police Chief will pick them up.

The Abbeville Police Department is requesting donations for the following:

Black Ink Pens, #2 Pencils, 24pk crayola crayons, colored pencils, markers, rulers, erasers, notebook paper, spiral notebooks, rulers, glue, calculators and backpacks. (notes of encouragement)

If you can help obtain any of these supplies please drop them off at "The Napa Solano Post" which is located in Canyon Plaza inside Canyon Mail Center in American Canyon by Wednesday, September 7th.

If you are unable to drop donated items you can ship your donations to:

Katrina Relief Aid
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

If you would like to make a cash donation make checks payable to "Gulf Coast Bank", in the memo area put VFCC-Katrina and mail to:

Katrina Relief Aid
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

This is the worst disaster in the History of the United States. Our fellow
citizens need our help. As I sit here in my house, with my family, utilities
running and food to eat I am thankful to God, but my heart just can't stop aching for the people who have lost everything. One small city can make a huge difference for the lives of a couple thousand.

Thank you again to everyone who donated. I will keep you updated.
stacy su

hurricane relief

Post by stacy su »

If you want to make a tax deductible donation:

Make your checks payable to:

Vermillion Faith Community c/o Gulf Coast Bank
tax id # 27-0048414

Mail to :

Abbeville City Police Dept.
Attn: Chief of Police Drew David
304 Charity st.
Abbeville, LA 70510

For those of you who already sent checks make a note of the tax id # 27-0048414 for your records.

Thank you

MSN TV

Post by Guest »

MSN TV, in my opinion, has the most honest coverage of the hurricane victims compared to any other channel. I find it very disheartening to hear that the Red Cross and FEMA are the agencies that are in control of handling this disaster. They were too late! There have been and are so many local organizations that have provided assistance and want to continue to help.
This is government at it's worst.
I feel anyone who wants to help these victims with food and water, or to create a new life, or to offer homes, ultimately to sustain life should be allowed to make their offer available directly to the victims of this horrific disaster.
Stacy Su

Hurricane Relief

Post by Stacy Su »

I am so angry right now. Angry at the Mayor of New Orleans for not evacuating nursing homes & hospitals & using school buses to get the poor out. Angry at the Governor of La for not declaring martial law on day one and having the National Guard on duty. Angry at FEMA for spending milliions of our tax dollars on emergency preparedness and when a major emergency happens they can't even handle it. Angry at the Red Cross for taking in all that money and not organized in getting where it needs to go. Angry at the President for not watching the damn TV after the hurricane, to make sure his people where doing their jobs. And the media, for call AMERICAN'S REFUGEE'S. Damn it we are American's and those people are evacuees, victims maybe, but not refugee's.

I wish I could hug every man woman and child just to let them know the country cares and wants to help...

Post by Guest »

Well, while your comments may have some merit, now is not the time to be angry, now is the time to be compassionate and caring . While we cannot make up for the time lost we can certainly move forward to a better future.
Pointing fingers is not constructive at this time. Banding together is what is neccessary and what being American is all about. We do not stand down to terrorism and we will not stand down to acts of nature.

Post by guest »

She has every right to be angry, as many Americans are at the poor response during the critical hours and day, and the lack of leadership shown by those in charge. This is a complete and utter disaster in leadership, with the result being dying Americans on our own soil from our own incompetance!!!
Stacy Su

angry

Post by Stacy Su »

Yes I am angry, but that hasn't stopped me from coordinating relief. I am using my anger toward productive help. I still need to vent especially every time I see the Red Cross post their phone number for cash donations and many organizations in the smaller communities in LA haven't received any relief for the evacuees. Local churches and organization have been supporting the evacuees.

The City of Abbeville is collecting backpacks, pens, pencils, notebook paper, binders, color pencils, 24 pack coloring crayons, markers, calculators, spiral bound paper and rulers.

The Abbeville Public school wheres school uniforms, so I am trying to get an exact number of kids and ages, so we can also collect school uniforms also.

If you would like to help email me at stacysu@comcast.net

Post by Guest »

HAs anyone heard from Valerie and Darrin ? How are they doing? When are they coming back? I would like to see some sort of Community recognition for the help they have given the people of LA. What do you think?

recognition

Post by guest »

I agree that they should in fact receive acknowledgement for their efforts and so should other key members of the cause. But is it really about begin acknowledged more than being an American helping out our neighbors during a crisis. If any of us could go, wouldn't we? This was clearly a joint effort. Darrin and Valerie are still in LA and are helping until Thursday when they will return home.

The effort isn't over since the city council has officially adopted this town. They are collecting school supplies, school uniforms, and backpacks. Uniforms and backpacks can be gently used. Currently there are 240 k-5 kids that need a backpack with supplies. Some people want to send money but the problem is there is nothing to buy for hundreds of miles. The airfare is being donated so we need your help.

Make a difference with your donations. Call 643-3135 for pick up of uniforms, shoes, backpacks, or supplies. Gift cards also accepted.
Thanks-
Stacy Su

Darrin & Valerie

Post by Stacy Su »

I spoke with Darrin & Valerie last night. They said it is just unbelievable the chaos at the Cajun Dome in Lafayette. Evacuees in Abbeville are more fortunate. All the hotels are full with Evacuees. Although 3 shelters are open most of them are not filled to capacity because many members of the community are opening their homes to the evacuees. Darrin will be going to ground zero tomorrow to help a family retrieve their belongings. Keep the people of Louisiana in your prayers.

The following supplies are needed for the evacuee children starting school on Monday, September 12th:

School Uniforms (new or gently used (no holes, tears or stains) sizes 5 - 16: Polo Shirts - Red, White, Navy Blue or Black / Skirts, Shorts or Pants - Khaki or Navy Blue .

School Supplies: black ink pens, #2 pencils, markers, 24 pk crayola or rose art crayons, notebook paper, spiral notebook paper, elmer's glue, glue sticks, children's scissors, rulers, and back packs.

Please drop your donations off at the Napa Solano Post, 3429 Broadway, Suite C-1 or for pick-up call 643-3135.

Your donations are tax deductible their tax information is:
Vermillion Faith Christian Community (VFCC)
Tax ID#27-0048414
Stacy Su

Donations

Post by Stacy Su »

I have to leave tomorrow to go pick up my grandfather in Michigan. If you cannot drop your donations off, please call 643-3135.

Thank you, Stacy
Kathleen

First of Hurricane Victims to Arrive in AmCan

Post by Kathleen »

Community,

I received a call this afternoon from Pastor Curry asking for help. American Canyon is receiiving two college kids this next week from New Orleans. They will be living in a trailer in AmCan.

We need to come together and support these kids. They will be arriving with only the clothes on their backs.

We are in need of a clothes dryer, money, food, and other things.

Please come to the council meeting on Thursday with you donations.

Our goal is to raise enough mney to allow these two to go to Kohls, Target, Walmart wherever and pick up a couple of new outfits and also buy food. Please help.

Victims

Post by Guest »

If you are unable to come to the council meeting but would like to make a donation of goods or cash is there another location set-up?

Post by guest »

Not interested in doing anything for or with Curry. Sorry.
Kathleen

Hurricane Victims

Post by Kathleen »

I'll be getting a address to send the donations too..

As for the second email, apology accepted.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

HELP FOR NEWCOMERS

Post by napaseller »

for the "guest" who isn't interested in helping pastor curry. this is not about him, this is about being a shepard and tending those in need.

Hutticane

Post by Guest »

and it's also about keeping your trap shut if you don't have anything good to say. Grow up, it's not always about you. The people that are happiest in life are the ones who are thinking of how they can give to others.
stacy su

victims

Post by stacy su »

Do you have the details on these victims? Where they just going to college in New Orleans, or did they and their families actually live in New Orleans. If they weren't residents then why have they not gone home to their families?
If they were residents of New Orleans they are eligible to receive $2K per person from FEMA. That is a great start for college kids.

The students can go to the Thrift Store and get many items they need to set-up house. They will also be able to get clothes. If they go their with Pastor Curry they won't have to pay a thing. They can get their pantry filled by the food bank here in American Canyon. The food bank drops food off everyday at the rec center next to the police department at 11:00 am (I think) They can contact Leon Garcia for the correct time.

I am sorry that I can't help your cause with these people at this time, because I am trying to help gather school supplies & uniforms for 270 children K-5, which the City of American Canyon is supporting.

A good piece of advice is for them to get jobs serving tables. When I was in college we called it fast money. Many of the restaurants are hiring servers in Vallejo.

May you take care, Stacy
Stacy Su

Donations

Post by Stacy Su »

I made it safely back with Grandpa in tow.

I am a little disappointed we haven't filled backpacks for all 270 students. Right now we have enough donations for about 75 kids??? We still need back packs, and school supplies. Please email me at stacysu@comcast.net if you need me to pick-up supplies. You can also donate items at the Napa Solano Post located inside Canyon Plaza Mail Center.

Thank you, Stacy Su
Stacy Su

Trip to Abbeville

Post by Stacy Su »

Darrin & Valerie came back Saturday. They tried to do as much as they could to help and represent American Canyon in Abbeville, LA. On their trip back they dropped to elderly women with medical needs off to extended family in Fresno. I am hoping they will give a short presentation at the city council meeting on thursday. Look at the Napa Solano Post for pictures & more details.

Thanks again everyone for all your efforts. We still want to get 270 back packs shipped so if you can donate school supplies or new or gently used school uniforms please email me at stacysu@comcast.net

Take Care, Stacy
Kathleen

I'm not even going there.

Post by Kathleen »

Enough is enough...................I'm signing off this site and focusing on relocationg us back to the midwest (packing boxes). Best of Luck to everyone in American Canyon. Be kind to one another!

help

Post by guest »

Kathleen,
thanks for your taking the mature and high road and putting differences aside and helping the truly needy. This isnt a time for pettiness.

The citizens of american canyon will always be separated and divided because some people just cant move on. GROW UP.

if this catastrophy were to happen here in town wouldnt you to help each other.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Victims

Post by Mel »

Guest wrote:If you are unable to come to the council meeting but would like to make a donation of goods or cash is there another location set-up?
Yes, there is. The City of American Canyon has adopted the City of
Abbeville , LA. There is a drop off location at the Canyon Plaza Mail center. They are trying to get displaced children set up in school and desperately needed are school supplies and uniforms. I am also told they need large sized women's clothing in good shape.
This is tax deductible, TAX ID #27-0048414.
If you would like to make a cash donation, you can send your contribution to the

Katrina Relief Aid
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

If you would like a pick up of any donation please call, 643-3135
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

By the way, I wish you well Kathleen.

opinion

Post by guest »

So let me get this straight..

1) city approves $ to help a city

2) Curry sets up $ acct to help victims in Am Can.

Seems there is help on two fronts, both a result from Hurricane Katrina..
So what's the problemo?

Garcia gets called by Red Cross to volunteer because of his nursing administrator experience and thats a bad thing?

Am I missing something here? Are are people just blinded by the nit-picky, immature, bitchy complaining to lose sight of the big picture?
a/c resident

if only that were the case

Post by a/c resident »

Nobody wanted to stop the local account set up for any possible American Canyon relocated families.

Nobody complained over the donations and Mervyns shopping spree for the kids.

Nobody complained over Garcia being on call.

Only two people complained over the money being used to support a fellow city in trouble and complained over and over and over and over.

That's it. But it was sent. So no problemo.....

But of course Curry reacted outside away from the view of the camera. I was told he said " close the local account and withdraw all of the money". Why? Was he hoping to get the 10K? Doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't he continue with his quest after the overwhelming response for the kids? You figure it out.
Guest(as promised)

Abbeville: what can we send other than $$$$

Post by Guest(as promised) »

As I stated before what can we send other than money to help this community? Where do we drop off donations? How often are they sent? Is there another trailer going? What can we do and what do you need?
Let's get started.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

The people of Abbeville need "family" supplies, clothes, diapers, formula, etc... They are also in need of school uniforms. I know you can buy them at Target, but used uniforms will do as well as long as they are in good shape.
There are roughly 280 students (K-5th grade) trying to get on with their life after this disaster now living in Abbeville. They need backpacks, backpacks, backpacks, paper, pencils - everything OUR kids needed when starting school. Remember, Abbeville is a tad bit smaller than our City of American Canyon. They are barely living above the poverty level themselves.
You can make any donation to the Canyon Plaza Mail Center. Or if you can't make it over there I would be more than happy to pick it up. For pick up, please call, 643-3135.

Abbeville Donations

Post by Guest »

When do you plan to ship collected donations? Would you rather have cash to purchase items or possibly people could "adopt" a child and provide school uniform / supplies. I'm ready to go shopping and just want to make sure I purchase items still needed. Thanks.

Volunteers

Post by Guest »

Do you need volunteers to help sort or pack items collected. If so, where and when.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

You guys are so generous! I actually know that the Abbeville people would rather have donated items as opposed to "adopting a child". My Mom wanted to adopt a child, so she called the Abbeville Police and that is what they told her. You can send them cash if you wish and that address is:

Katrina Relief Aid
304 S. State Street
Abbeville, LA 70510

Again, we all thank you and keep it coming!

Post by Guest »

Resident Cori agreed, pledging $500 personally toward the Abbeville fund but arguing against using the taxpayers' money and setting a precedent.

"AIDS in Africa - is that any more or any less a cause than what we're dealing with in Abbeville?" she asked. "Are we going to send $10,000 to Africa, too?

WHAT???? The people in The United States come FIRST Cori! These are our people. Money should be spent to help them.
The cause for AIDS in Africa is very important, but we have just had major devistation! You have got to be kidding me!

Vallejo Times Herald Article

Post by Guest »

I recognized the previous guests quotes regarding the meeting the other night from the article on the front page of the Vallejo Times Herald today.
I felt the article was the short version of the meeting the other night and quite accurate.
The last paragraph really sums it up:

"City Manager Mark Joseph noted Friday that the resolution is contingent upon an investigation to determine if there are any problems associated with Abbeville that could prove to be an embarrassment for American Canyon."

I think several council members and speakers proved to be an embarrassment for American Canyon already!!!

You can read the entire article at http://www.timesheraldonline.com

Post by guest »

NO, we are not going to send 10k to Africa Cory, we sent a representative from the city to Africa- so I guess you could say our reach is global.