Bring Back Personal Use Fireworks to American Canyon

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Bring Back Personal Use Fireworks to American Canyon

Post by mattbb61 »

I think it is time to allow we American Canyon Citizens to legally purchase, use and enjoy fireworks. It is absolutely silly that we in the land of the free and home of the brave are by law, disenfranchised from celebrating our patriotism with sparklers and snakes! It is just plane silly! What do you think? Anyone else interested? Lets bring back Safe and Sane Fireworks and in doing so, help our community non-profits thrive again with increased funding!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Bans HAVE Been Overturned Before; Legal Presed Lives!

Post by mattbb61 »

Before you say, "It can't be done," here is proof that it CAN be done!
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/local/news ... de_a1.html
All that remains is OUR will to bring them BACK! :D
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I guess the Fire Chief should give us his opinion first. They know better, and I'm sure they have data to back their claim. And we have the community fireworks display to make up for it so I guess I dont really care all that much. Regardless, it wont stop me from setting off fireworks in the middle of the street whenever I want to when its done safely and with full instructions.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

THE FIRE CHIEF

Post by mattbb61 »

The opinion of our city fire chief has no more weight in this issue than any other citizen. His responsibility is to PUT OUT any fires which erupt, not make law. Although I salute his dedication to the city's fire department, I believe that our (lost) rights do NOT come from city government, but from we the people.

We have lost many rights over the years under the guise of safety, and as a result of poor voting by we the people.

How much longer before I am unable to BBQ in my own back yard due to the safety concerns of the gas bottle, or the second hand smoke dangers of charred animal flesh to my surrounding neighbors.

Besides, CRIMINALS will ALWAYS be free to set off the DANGEROUS and ILLEGAL fireworks, as they have in the past, regardless of the written law. That I am unable to enjoy even sparklers on my OWN property is rediculous.

What is the last straw is that we now have a local brown shirt, Jim Cannon, telling us what we can and cannot do with our properties. Enough is ENOUGH!
youknowwho

Post by youknowwho »

You'd probably put your eye out anyway, or set your neighbor's shed on fire like the yahoo did on July 5 this year with a "harmless" bottle rocket... Fireworks have no place in a community where houses are built with a 10 foot spread between them. If my neighbor's house went up, there is no way the fire guys could get there before some type of damage was caused to my house. Fireworks.... no thanks, I dont trust my neighbor's use of common sense or judgement with my property, my house, or my family's lives......
Mark Mathews

FIREWORKS

Post by Mark Mathews »

You just made my point! Even though it was against the law, that Yahoo set off the firework, and now SHOULD pay the consequences! In his case, nature was thining out the gene pool. The law did NOT work! Its just like all those idiotic gun bans we suffer through, even though those little homies from the hood will ALWAYS get their illegal guns to do their crime!
I have never used bottlerockets; all I want to do is be able to set off a sparkler in my own back yard which I paid thousands of dollars for. I don't need government OR YOU for that matter, telling me what I can and cannot do on my property. Strange, how its OK to have an abortion mill in the next community in the guise of the Planned Parenthood office, but I, as a retired military veteran, am unable to use a sparkler. I don't like the 1 foot space between YOUR houses either;' sounds too much like the city and the rot of Urbanization.
Let me ask you this: do you know if your neighbors own guns? Would you like to have them removed as well? Where would you draw the line in your world of government enforced safety?

Post by Guest »

Wow..Mark..not sure how you can equate abortion with the right for fireworks..or even illegal firearms and fireworks. You sound like you have alot of pent up anger on a few issues beyond fireworks.

My family used safe and sane fireworks when I was a child in Los Angeles..out in the street..houses are close together..but we never had anything like bottle rockets..just stuff like sparklers, worms, cones, etc. I hated the cherry bombs because they would whirl all over the street and I was afraid they would catch me!

I agree with the ban. Stupid people will continue to do stupid things, but I prefer that anything involving fire not be in close proximity to my property. With properties piled on top of each other..there is little room for error.

People will continue to have illegal fireworks, sure, but why would I want easier access to potential fire hazards..I don't think those fireworks are exactly safe or sane. You say it is YOUR property and you should have the right to do what you want. I agree to an extent..I also have the right to have a safe property environment. I am sure if the city and/or fire dept thought these wre totally safe and sane, they would not have a ban..why not allow people to spend money..but there is potential for fire hazards..so why bring the danger.

Also..all you need is one person burning a finger while lighting YOUR fireworks on your property and they may just sue you...the way this litigious society is..hope you have a good homeowner's policy..maybe a good umbrella policy as well..

Fireworks

Post by Guest »

Fireworks should never be allowed in any community! Within the last two years I have seen my neighbors deck start on fire ( the neighbors display went crazy and jumped the fence), the five year old girl down the street had a boy accidentally throw a sparkler down and landed on her flip flop, burnt her foot badly. The family down the street just set off 2000 blackcats in celebration of their sons first birthday, in the middle of the street, noise, pollution and utter disrespect for other families.

A bottlerocket started the other neighbors back yard hillside on fire....and I'm sure this goes on and on. This is one block of one neighborhood and its experiences.

Let the professionals light the displays.

Oh and did I mention that 12 years ago while we were coming back from a fireworks display in SF a kid shooting bottlerockets had his bottlerocket backfire. The rocket landed in our babies carriage (she was 4 mos. old). Quick thinking by her dad and Uncle saved the baby and carriage from catching fire.

Too many irresponsible parents and kids out there!