Potholes

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
The Guest

Potholes

Post by The Guest »

Potholes exist throughout AC. That's a fact! Actually, probably throughout the State of California...I happen to notice on Kaiser Rd. past the gate to Syar...Napa County or independent business owners have started to fill potholes with concrete...(this is an area of very heavy truck activity)
Will it work? Maybe someone from public works would like to take a look at this option for American Canyon Rd, Carolyn Dr, James Rd, etc...
a/c resident

pot holes

Post by a/c resident »

Last night at the council meeting Coffey asked why can't large squares of sheet metal be used to cover the reaccuring potholes? There was no answer. Then Shaver asked the same question saying they used them on Eucalyptus road. Luporini pointed out that the Waste Management paid for them.

So why didn't the city manager offer to check into it? Instead he said he would refer it to the public works director to look into.

Another brush off, another problem unsolved.

Can you say status quo?
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Well, that's why we elected Cindy, to ask those questions! I feel very confident knowing that she will follow up with this. She is NOT status quo- I can't stand the potholes - in any community!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Potholes

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Unfortunately, it only becomes a matter of record. Until we get a City Manager in who actual gets something accomplished we will continue to see the decline in our parks and roads.

Post by Guest »

He is our city manager. He is supposed to delegate such things. This is a public works issue and he said he would refer it to public works. That is what a city manager is suppose to do. Delegate items to the departments they need to go to. Compared to our last city manager, Mark Joseph is doing a wonderful job.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

city manager

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Yes you are supposed to delegate, but your also supposed to make sure people are following through. If people aren't doing your their jobs and getting things done, then you need to find some that will. Mark Joseph has spoken out to many times in the media before talking to the city attorney. IF you were at the wal-mart hearing you would of seen that his name was repeating over and over and not by wal-mart. The last city councils really screwed up on that contract. Way to go Mark, great way to stick it to American Canyon the community you love and care about. I don't blame him though, he asked for it and the city council gave it to him.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Unbelievable

Post by Paul Maguire »

That is amazing!

What a absolute irresponsible position for the council to take. Wow. Incredible.

What are we paying for the city manager position per year?

I can't even comment anymore, I am just bewildered by that one.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Potholes

Post by Paul Maguire »

Potholes:

1. Get 3 guys and an asphalt truck
2. GO buy some asphalt
3. Go to a pot hole
4. Put asphalt in Potholes while one guy watches traffic
5. Go to next pot hole and start at number 3
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Shaver's Pavers

Post by MeadowsGuy »

There is NO REASON for the existence of ANY POTHOLE in American Canyon. Colcleaser/Shaver and their stacked Planning Commission approved rack-em pack-em housing and the developers paid impact fees for road rehab. The City has monies to fill every pothole... at least thats what they told the people when the housing was approved. Trucks brought in some 1500 metic tons of dirt fill to pad up the homes in the Preserve and Bella Terra in 2002-3.

Wait until your foundations start to settle!!! (If they haven't done so already). Any cracks in the cement in your backyards?

Those trucks are the primary reason for the condition of American Canyon Road. Potholes and ruts that fill with water in the rain (or errant sprinkler systems) and cause hydroplaning. Anyone getting into an accident because of this should sue the City.

The cars rollingover the holes now are just finishing the job those trucks started. Its been years since anything was done and the veil of lies that they were waiting for Broadway realignment is a load of c--p. What does the building of a road have to do with filiing potholes or repaving streets?

I suggest we start naming the potholes after City Council Members. There is a big one outside of 260 where I live. Everyone dodges it. Its going to be called Shavers Paver.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Currently I live in San Diego, its so much worse over here. It rains and potholes come out of nowhere. Granted I havent been driving around AmCan in a couple years so I do not recall how many potholes are around town, maybe its probably the same. There are places around San Diego that I know have potholes so I drive slower or skip the lane, they dont get fixed for years. From living in AmCan I dont remember it being such a huge problem, maybe I never noticed. I'm sure though if you contact the public works department to let them know they would do something about it, if they dont, then fire them and hire somebody who will. I agree with Paul, roll out the three guys and their asphault truck and lets fix some potholes! I think the problem lies in letting them know where these potholes are and calling them up to let them know.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Its potholes for crying out loud!

Post by Paul Maguire »

What does that tell you when time and time again, citizens have complained about potholes, and cannot get them fixed?

During my campaign, I suggested a summer intership program, where as we could train and hire summer help to work with permanent employees. And like just about all my ideas, it was ignored, nothing done about it, never happens. Of course, it does not hurt my feelings, because very few of others ideas get implemented either, including the city councils.

Here is a perfect example. Fixing potholes, working with the city public works staff , who are UNDERSTAFFED, to keep up with the work around the city, and get ready for winter.

Of course, we have contracted for some fairly crappy work too, like the BIG dip from Flosden into Newell( or the Standard Pacific Homes)- that is brand new just about ,and very poorly done.

Community Justice Program

Post by Guest »

There is a hugh base of workers through the Community Justice Program in Napa County. These are individuals in Napa County that are required to perform so many hours of community service due to breaking the law. You see them along the highway picking up garbage or at Napa fairgrounds cleaning-up that area. These are not high risk offenders. And it doesn't cost the city anything except for the supervision. Why doesn't the city contract with the proper agency to get that manpower into the community, under city supervision, to accomplish some of the requests
and complaints of this community. Like potholes, weed abatement and park maintenance.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Unions

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I will tell you why. Fixing the potholes is union work, weed abatement is union work. I had the opportunity to talk with someone from City Council in regards to some work that was done at Donaldson way. Years ago. They were trying to fix some of the sprinkler heads because it was ruining the grass. The were sent a letter with a little slap on the hand, telling them not to do this because it is union job and their responsibility. In the mean time the union worker would come out and fix only one sprinkler head at a time. You wonder why nothing gets accomplished.

Post by Guest »

Besides American Canyon Road (which is already slated for repaving), and Carolyn Drive (which is also being looked at), where are all these potholes your talking about. Is there any street worse then the two I mentioned above?

POTholes for Guest

Post by Guest »

James Road-cracks and PHs
Elliott-cracks (major) that are now sprouting weeds.
Northampton... The MAYOR got his repaving done. What about the rest?
Kimberly-two potholes going back to 1998... they look like service covers never lifted when resurfaced.

I've just BARELY scratched the surface around town.

Guest, you don't have to look far if you keep your eyes open and drive!! :shock:
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Why dont we just make a huge list of where these potholes are, and somebody can bring it into the city council meeting. If nobody else wants to fix these problems then lets just do it ourselves.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

get real

Post by Paul Maguire »

Well now here we go. So what, the union is going to sue us for not using union help to pick up weeds. Give me a break!

I am not against Unions, but I am against stupidity. Just because some union rep writes some letter doesnt mean we cannot keep our town up.

The fact is that if we had an intership program, had a training program, a good number of these kids would get job training, and join the UNION!!
A percentage of them would get hired on here or elsewhere.

Currently, we have nothing. What a waste. We have lots of work, and not enough bodies to do it. We have a number of city maintenance workers with years of experience, some of whom are within 10 years of retirement, who can use some help by their side and at the same time the city would benefit from getting more done.

The summer is great time to have it as most of the kids are out of school often without a job or something to do, and the weather is great for getting projects completed.

Let them work with a Union guy, thats fine, and let the union guy promote the benefits of the union, meanwhile getting the kids some real experience at real work with a tradesman that can show him or her a thing or two.

And it is not just outdoors, it can be in the city offices as well. I spoke to Mark about it before and he was not opposed to have a few kids during the summer either.

Conservation Corp.

Post by Guest »

Why do we not utilize the Conservation Corp. in AC...Someone needs to start thinking outside the box.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

BTW, if you want to know what the city manager thinks is a priority, look at the budget, that he prepared with teh interim finance director- not much money there for parks- lots of money for water pipe replacements, roads, and other infrastructure.
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Shavers pavers

Post by MeadowsGuy »

I understand we want to be positive and helpful but the first step in solving a problem is recognizing you have a problem in the first place.

Let's not blame unions. They have their faults but they do what is contracted in the labor agreement, no more no less. So build better agreements. I don't think the Council or the CM knows how.

If the developments that have gone in have paid for road rehab... then rehab the roads. If not, then why weren't those fees part of the development agreements? ISSA says, let's do it ourselves....NO... we already PAID for it. If it wasn't directly out of the general fund (OUR TAXES) then it was out of development fees (OUR MORTGAGES passed thru by the developer into the home price). In either case, the City should move without delay to getting this solved.

NO COMMITTEES!!
NO COMMISSIONS !!
NO EXCUSES !!!

This is another case of incompetence on the part of the PC, Council and City Manager.

I don't think anything has been really "right" under the Colcleaser Regime and we are paying the price for not gelding him earlier. The damage he has done to this City is incalculable.

The call for change is going to get louder and louder if they continue to sit on their hands.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Paul Maguire

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Well I agree with you Paul about the Unions. So how do we deal with them reasonable. I think unions have their place, but I think they also overstep their bounds. It is wrong for people who receive their pay from taxes to strike or be a part of a union. Especially when they are walking away with such awesome benefits on our tax dollars. Nobody is giving me a hand out for retirement.

reply to meadows guy

Post by guest »

Meadows Guy I agree with you completely. I am certainly not going to fill any potholes soon. I want to know why don't they contract it out like they do everything else.

As for the Council I think a couple of them know there is a problem but get no support from the others. When I watch I see plenty of questions, lot's of promises and no follow-up.

Let's face it, if two votes could take care of the issues then there would be no Wal-Mart as it wouldn't have passed the Planning Commission.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Meadows Guy

Post by Guest »

Meadows Guy... I really enjoy your posts...You seem to always come up with some inside track information from the past...Have you considered running for office next term?
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Pot hole repairs being done

Post by Paul Maguire »

Good Job American Canyon is fixing some of hte potholes on ac road-

asphalt and things

Post by guest »

The problem with contract workers is that they are usually not from town. Their priority is making as much money as possible. This means they will use an asphalt spray for cracks instead of actually filling them in with asphalt, which is the correct remedy.
The city's streets, because of all the construction, have definitely taken a toll. The public works people had to do things piecemeal. Since a majority of the construction is now behind us, they can do larger scale projects (ie road repairs and infrastructure projects) which will not cause traffic delays and inconvenience the citizens and commuters who drive through town.
Patience is still a virtue![/url]

Post by Guest »

Did my eyes see correct today on American Canyon Road, There was PAVING of potholes going on. Yeee HAAAAAAAAAA ,but only one side of Am Cayn Rd,will we get lucky and have the other potholes done on the westside?
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Proactive pavement management

Post by merryjester »

They are, huh? Right on!

FYI, they had the potholes on the East side marked for the last week or so... They had painted brackets around each hole, indicating where they needed to fill. So I'd say to keep your eyes peeled for the brackets on the West side...

Or, I suppose you could just head out there with a can of spray paint, do some "marking" of your own, and hope a wayward pavement crew fills everything in during their next trip to Starbucks! Just out of force of habit...

(I am, of course, kidding... The author assumes no responsibility for any citizen dumb enough to actually spraypaint city streets.)

PotHoles

Post by Guest »

They filled some of the potholes but not all of the ones with the white brackets and the ones they did fill are already falling in.
Whatever the reason and from whatever cause really doesn't concern me anymore. The cost of keeping my car aligned does however. Maybe the city council would like that bill.

(You mean it's not ok to spray paint city streets?!!!!)
:oops: :wink:
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

VIGILANTE SPRAYING

Post by mattbb61 »

Kudos to Merryjester and his 'unofficial' idea; I like it! SO, does anyone desire to suggest any locations of these offending 'sinkholes'? I may have to sub contract that idea to some local taggers, if I can find any... :wink:

Also, I wonder how far TEN THOUSAND dollars would (have) gone towards fixing those pot holes, or already marked sidewalks (like the one on the SE corner of Chaucer and Northrup) which have alreay claimed victims :?:

Potholes...

Post by Guest »

Matthew... Where have you been...Merryjester's post was from August!
The potholes have been filled already... If you feel that the sidewalk on a specific corner is dangerous...contact the councilmember that you voted for...I noticed that with Lori's comments at the last meeting about the plumbing co. on Hwy 29, it was cleaned up the next day...Also, Rental Solution's landscaping looks outstanding!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

"DONT CALL ME LATE FOR DINNER..."

Post by mattbb61 »

Right you are, it was a late post, and thanks, I WAS aware of the date of previously mentioned post. It was just that I was'nt aware of a time limit on replys; I missed that part of the forum by laws... :)

I do have a life, and other things taking my time than searching each and every topic on a daily, weekly nor even monthly basis; hence the later than you would expect post. :idea:

Rental Solutions DOES look outstanding! They are also a good company to conduct business with as well! :!:
Guest01

Just my opinion

Post by Guest01 »

Matt666 seems to be a very bitter complaining person. Bichin and groaning seems to be his hobby. Just my 2 cents worth.
amcan

Post by amcan »

Lori won't be able to get potholes done as fast as you think. History reminds us that she received some city pavement as mayor that put the city in the media eye about 5 years ago. She must believe that they need to be filled but she received the pavement the city had. Look kinda funny her trying to get pot holes filled now, yah think.
Mark Joseph has a lot of work to deal with, your 2 council people have made it public and insinuated that he be replaced, he is much better than they had and people who have been here a long time will validate that.
Work with what you have, because you don't know what you'll get. Barry is still to prove himself and we have a lot of new people on board.
City Council will be changing and that's when determination can be changed. We have a lot going on. A list, per Issa is a great idea, it should be given to Bob Weil, and remember that they have other projects going on and something has to give. When he brings forth the chart update of projects is when you can move potholes forward. If you want the update of projects see Bob for his report. Facts are better than fiction.
The fact that we filled pot holes on Eucalyptus causes the traffic to go faster and the potholes kept people from hitting the occasional live stock and domesticated animals that got out. Not that everyone wants things done. Set priorities-That's the City's objective.
Speaking of Priorities, does anyone know how soon the Ordinance reconstruction is going to be put in place? Once the town is broken into sections they were going to go in to them and find offenders.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Potholes and More

Post by VicRiv »

Having lived in the city for more than sixteen years (yikes) I can tell you the rate of repair for almost any/all items has remained consistent. The only change is that the complaining has been turned up a notch. I'm not saying that's abad things-it's just that I'm not a fan of "squeaky wheel government".
Overall, our city parks and roads are in pretty good shape. The deteriortation has been caused as a result of the new construction in town. And much of the complaining is being done by the NIMBYs whose new homes caused the potholes. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have any potholes, cracked sidewalks, weeds, graffitti or crime. That world doesn't exist as we continue to grow....

What we are dealing with are the normal evolution of progress and the issues that arise when 14,500 people get together in a very concentrated area. Add to that, the several hundred thousand people who go through our town daily and you have an escalation of traffic, crime, polution and short tempers.

I personally want my city staff to meet the "big picture" needs of the whole population and stop being a pit-crew in "reaction" mode for a couple complainers. That means they aren't able to work on the larger projects. Patience is a virtue and we need to slow down, be patient and let the council and city employees do their job(s)..

Nuff said.. :0