R/E Brokers

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Homeowner

R/E Brokers

Post by Homeowner »

The City Planning Commission approved ReMax's request to take over Palby's on Thursday night. How many R/E offices do we have in AmCan and how many do we really need?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

R/E

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I thought they approving the zone change from restaurant to office??? That was my understanding. Maybe Re/Max which already has a location in Canyon plaza I believe is purchasing the site in which they will rent out the other offices. Any councilmember out there willing to clear this up?
Homeowner

Palby's

Post by Homeowner »

You may be right about the planning commission addressing the zoning, but the reason they changed it was because ReMax wants the building and already has interested parties (such as Title Co., Insurance ) that would make the building a "one stop" house buying complex.
a/c resident

palby's demise

Post by a/c resident »

I would rather see a new restaurant there. We certainly need one. La Strada did a great job with the exterior remodel of it's restaurant, proving that it can be done and done well.

Canyon Plaza has no less than 5 real estate companies, 2 title companies, as well as 4 mortgage companies. Additionally there is 3 insurance companies.

Caldwell Banker has purchased the "pottery place" on the corner to turn that into an office building and most likely for real estate.

The Crespi Property (red,white, blue building) on 29 has a mortage broker and a real estate company moving in soon.

Not to mention all of the small nooks and crannies in our city and those agents who work at home for all fields, plus those trying to get into the American Canyon market from Napa and Vallejo.

Keep the money here in our town. Use a local resident/agent to buy or sell from our community and the money will be invested here. Always ask if the agent lives or in American Canyon before you sign on the dotted line. That way the money is spent in our restaurants, shops, and services.

Enough is enough! Keep it restaurant or make it retail. Or knock it down for a mixed use of retail/restaurant on the bottom and office on top. Don't take valuable land on 29 to make a quick buck off of the local economy for the next 5 years.

Hopefully the council will see that this spot needs to be revitalized as someting useful and tax bearing.

I would rather like to see it cleaned up and revitalized as a vintage like restaurant to serve the community. We could name it "the restaurant formerly known as Palby's"

The family would probably like to just "cash in" and move on, but I would hope that they would care about the community future of the property as well.

I also heard that the new buyer is taking advantage of the family with the agreement. I hope that is not true for the person buying as I wouldn't want my business to be associated with the negative local publicity of "taking advantage" of a local family.

Good luck to the council.
Homeowner

ReMax

Post by Homeowner »

I think that the real estate agents coming to town must figure since so many new homes have been built (or scheduled to be) they are counting on people not staying in their new homes once they find out there really isn't much to do in AmCan. Also, the developers advertise the easy commute to SF/Oak area...The Hwy 80 commute is worse than ever.
That dream home loses its appeal in a very short time. Or maybe they think WalMart will be coming and new home buyers will want out.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by MPope »

Hello All, thanks for your interest in this issue. Just FYI I recently joined this online community and thought I would just throw it out there that if anyone would like to ask a member of the Planning Commission any direct question about the Palby's issue (or any other) please let me know.

Thank you,
Matt Pope

Palby's

Post by Guest »

Matt Pope: I wonder if you could use the Palby's/ReMax issue as an example of what is the process to get a business approved. Just a short outline...Does the interested party go to staff first, then commission?
Does the ReMax issue still need to be approved by City Council?
Thank you in advance.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Response to "Guest's" Question

Post by MPope »

Guest:

Thanks for your question. Yes, by the time a proposed project comes before the Planning Commission the applicant has spoken with, submitted a proposal to, and filed an application with the city Planning Dept where it has been reviewed by staff for a number of essentials. The best way to get that process started is by calling the Planning Dept. and setting an appointment to talk with a Barry Cromartie- the new Planning Director, or a city planner on his staff. Jane Holland- the Planning Depts' admin. support can help with that (647-4336). The initial conversations with a city planner can quickly determine if a project can feasibly go ahead in terms of zoning, etc.

If the proposal sounds do-able then the applicant will need to file an application, letter, plans, etc. formally outlining what they propose to build or improve. Staff- through a third party contractor named Plan Check- reviews for such things as compliance with zoning laws; the General Plan; development standards; environmental impact/ compliance with CEQA (Cal. Environmental Quality Act); Public Work's issues; sign program; etc. When it comes back from Plan Check the applicant will be notified by the city and will have another meeting with a city planner. As you might imagine, there are certain fees that come with this process; the planning staff can let you know what those are generally in advance.

If the proposal is found to be in compliance (or mostly in compliance with a few recommended modifications) then it is placed on the Planning Commission's agenda for the next available public hearing meeting. (agendas can be picked up at the Planning Dept). Staff presents us with a pretty thorough packet including their Staff Report; a Resolution on the project; Conditions of Approval; as well as applicant exhibits such as blueprints, plans, letters, etc.

The Planning Commission will review and approve or deny such things as a Design Review Permit- which is needed for any type of major construction; re-development; signifigant alteration or appearance, architecture, landscaping or signage; a Conditional Use Permit- which is needed to approve a project determined to have significant value to the community but is being proposed in an area not necessarily zoned for that type of construction; and a variety of other proposed development review functions.

Representatives from staff- usually a contract planner and the Planning Director will be at the meeting to present the Plan. Comm. with their staff report and issue their recommendations on the project. The floor is opened up to questions from the Commission, a presentation from the applicant, public comments where any American Canyon resident or stakeholder can come to the podium and speak on the issue, and then final questions and comments from the commissioners.

At that point a motion to vote- in the case of the Palby's Junction a motion was needed to approve the Design Review permit (to approve construction and redevelopment) and a Sign Program (to approve the proposed sign for the new project)- is asked for by the chair. Once a commissioner makes a motion then another must second it. When there is a motion on the floor and a second, a vote can be called. In most cases a simple majority is needed to approve or deny a motion. This particular issue received a 4-1 vote with four "Yes" and one "No" (I was the 'no' vote, which I can explain at another time if anyone is interested). If it passes, as this one did, then the applicant is basically on his/ her way. I say basically b/c in some cases even if a project is passed on the Planning Commission, it may still need to go before City Council as well. If the P/C has additional questions about the project or if the Council has particulars to discuss over and above what was addressed in planning than the project will have to be placed on the City Council's agenda as well. In this particular case, I don't know if this project will need to be reviewed by City Council or not.

Wow, I realize I have just written a pretty lengthy response, I hope this answers your questions but please let me know if you would like additional information or have any other comments. Thank you again for your interest in this issue and the planning commission.

-Matt

1 vote against

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for the information on what the process is to establish a business in AmCan. I for one would like to know why you voted "Nay".
Your explanation has shown that you apparently are very knowledgeable about the system.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Guest's Question

Post by MPope »

Thank you for your kind words.

In a nutshell, my vote was based on two things: 1) Currently built, or in development in and around that whole area, is the Town Center Project; Napa Junction/Main Street Project; Vintage Ranch; Napa-Sonoma Marketplace; as well as amenities such as hotels. Couple these with the HWY 29 revitalization study and you have a terrific dining/ entertainment/ shopping/ community-life district emerging there along the east side of 29. Inconsistent use of space has been an issue I hear the community express a lot of concern about and in the face of where that area is heading I just didn't see how an office space filled with professional services that will be mostly close nights and weekends was really going to fit in in the long run- especially considering that Palby's is already a Valley landmark associated with dining, entertainment and community-life.

2) A lot of office space has been approved in American Canyon and I was concerned b/c I have seen many communities- including here in the Valley- where there is a great deal of commercial office space that has had "for lease" signs in the windows for a long time.

The applicant, staff and the community members present made some very good points that previous proposals to have Palby's remain a restuarant have not panned out and there were some capacity issues around parking, etc. When it came time to vote though I just couldn't get past the sense that offices might not be the optimal long-term use of that space and that other dining options or retail might be of more value. That being said, since Democracy prevailed and the resolution passed- I wish the applicants the best of luck and certainly hope that my misgivings are proven wrong!

Thank you again for asking,
Matt

Palby's

Post by Guest »

To: Matt Pope,
Re: Palby's / ReMax Deal

Has anyone filed necessary documents with the planning dept to request the council make a final decision on this property. When is the time limit up ( 30 days? ). If you can, please give update.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

The Palbys situation just does not smell right to me. Over a year ago, I inquired about the property, and was told that if the use was changed, you had to knock 40 feet off the building, install fire sprinklers, and do a host of other changes.

I was told that unless it remained a rest. and bar, that the city would required extensive changes.

Now, a realtor with the same firm that had it listed ( remax) is buying the property, going in for a use change, and I dont see anything about ripping apart the buiilding, moving it back from teh highway, knocking 40 feet off the building, or other such changes.

IF the council approves this one, this would be another one of the "spot zoning" changes to accommodate a user and satisfy a long term resident so the family can complete the sale.

Is it in the best interest of the community to have a giant Remax sign where it now says Prime Rib as the entrance to the town center area? I doubt it.

My prediction: the council will approve it 3-2 or 4-1- to accommodate a long term residents family so they can get their money.

What is arguably one of the biggest eyesores in the city, will remain so.

The council would be much better off to provide some very generous tax credits as an incentive to tear this tired, outdated, unfunctional eyesore down and build a new building on the corner.(as they did with the Gia Hotel in working with the developer)

Alternatively, require design plans to reconfigure the exterior and clean up the look of the building. That might be the best we can expect.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

"Guest's" Question

Post by MPope »

Guest:

This may be one of those times when my new-ness to the Planning Commission shows through. I'm not immediately sure if any process has been started on having the Palby's design review brought before city council, or if that is something that is triggered automatically. Thank you for bringing it up; I will ask- good for my own learning as well.

Another quick way to find out would be to call Jane at city planning Monday morning: 647-4336.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Follow up

Post by MPope »

"Guest"

Just a follow-up, it seems that b/c there are no additional zoning issues being looked at this issue is not likely to go before city council.

Thanks,
Matt

Who has the power?

Post by Guest »

Thank you Matt...
Based on my observation of very few planning commission meetings...
Staff comes to commission with recommendations. A public hearing takes place. Planning commission has the power to approve recommendations or not. This is not meant to be a criticism of the Planning Commission because you can only vote on what the staff recommends with possible additions or deletions. So who really has the power...In my view...The City Staff. Our City Council, who the citizens put in office as their representatives, appear to be left out of the loop.
MeGuest2

Palby's

Post by MeGuest2 »

During the presentation to the planning commission and published stories about this transaction, some of the building will be removed. I believe the portion closest to Hwy 29.

I think this is a great opportunity to bring more office space and jobs to AmCanyon. Nothing wrong with that.

Suggesting the seller is being taked advantage of is silly. They are business people. Maybe they are motivated to sell this property because it's been on the market for years now. Don't make assumptions.

I also think they are going to keep some of the kitchen area and have a small deli, coffee shop, candy store type space. I said I think- but I have a suggestion. Call the Re-Max office in Napa and ask to speak to Randy Gularte. Adter all he's the person to talk to if you want the FACTS.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by MPope »

Thanks for your feedback...

Actually it is funny you make that observation at this time. As the planning commission and department evolve there is some agreement on the notion that there should really be more running dialouge and discussion between the two. In my brief tenure it does feel like we don't really get the full scoop on what the issues are until just before the meeting. A better approach might be to spend more time throughout the month dialouging with the Dept and examining the factors behind staff's recommendations so we are more comfortable when it comes to time to approve or deny.

In some informal discussions during recent meetings I know both the Chair and the Planning Director felt this was a good direction to move in and appearently it is pretty common practice in other communities.

Of course public input is always huge. I think I can speak for the commission when I say that we always appreciate it when people show up at meetings and take the podium- oftentimes a member of the public can bring up a perspective not previously considered. The more input the better when it comes to rendering a vote.

Thanks again, hope to see you at the next meeting- 7/28, Community Center on Elliot at 7:30PM