Friends of the American Canyon Open Spaces

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Rick Thein

Post by Rick Thein »

As I read through the posts on this site, I see a lot of complaining from citizens who are unhappy with the things that have been going on in our town. So I thought I could give people something positive to think about. Recently, a new group has come together to advocate for and work toward improving access to the open space lands owned by the City in and around American Canyon. We are learning about the issues concerning access to the Napa River and The Newell Open Space Preserve and we are finding solutions to those issues. We are working to make our lands available to hikers, bikers, equestrians, fishermen, boaters and kayakers, to name just a few. You can read about us in this weeks Eagle. There is a lot of misinformation about our wetlands, the landfill, and our open spaces in general, and I hope that we will be able to help the citizens learn about what they own and what can be done to improve it. The Marsh, the Old Clarke Ranch, and The Newell preserve are all diamonds in the rough. It will take a lot work to make them into the beautiful parks that they can be! But it will be worth it. So please come help us do something positive! We meet every second Wednessday of the month. Our next meeting will be May 11, 2005 at the Police Department meeting room at 2185 Elliot Drive, in American Canyon. The meetings are open to anyone who wants to attend. We hope you can come out!

Post by guest »

What time?
Rick Thein

Post by Rick Thein »

Sorry, I forgot to add the time. Our next meeting will be at 6:00 pm on May 11th, in the Police department meeting room at 2185 Elliot Drive, in American Canyon. We hope to see you there! Also look for our booth at Healthy People Healthy Planet this Saturday, May 7th, in the Community Gym! :D
Rick Thein

Post by Rick Thein »

Saturday, June 4th, is National Trails Day. And in celebration of that day, the Friends of American Canyon Open Spaces and the City of American Canyon are sponcering a fun day, hike, bike, and ride event at the Newell Open Space Preserve. There will be free refreshments, & snacks (water, Gatoraide, healthy snack bars, and carrotts for the horses). Parking will be available for horse trailors as well as cars. Motor-vehicles are prohibited on the trails, but mountain bikes are welcome. Guided hikes are planned at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, and 2:00 pm and the park will be open from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm for self guided tours. Volunteers will be stationed at Lena's to guide you to the parking areas. They will also be available to answer any questions you might have regarding this park and the other city open space projects as well.

So come out and visit this beautiful 500 acre plus park that you, the citizens of American have preserved. Sit and enjoy the scenery, hike, bike, or ride and share a wonderful day with your friends and neighbors.

To get there, take Hwy29 to Napa Junction Road (just south of Railroad over pass). Take Napa Junction Road east to Lena's and look for the signs and volunteers. We look forward to seeing you there! :)