City To Help Tsunami Victims?

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

City To Help Tsunami Victims?

Post by Guest »

I'm sure there is no one in American Canyon that has not seen the reports of the devastation in Asia & Africa after the Tsunami. I would like to know how you feel about the City of American Canyon making a donation on behalf of the citizens to UNICEF or some non-profit agency to help the countless victims. Possibly, the money that was left over from the fund for non-profits for later in the year could be used. If every city made a contribution the amount could be phenomenal. Maybe, by a contribution, the City of American Canyon could open the door for many to follow. What do you think?
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

TSUNAMI AID

Post by mattbb61 »

No. No way. If a donation is to be made, it should be privately funded by individuals. Keep the city government out of it. Perhaps form a committee, give it a compassionate sounding name, and solicit funds in the name of the citizens of American Canyon.

Yes, it was a real disaster, but it is not the worst to hit that part of the world recently, nor will it be the last; these sort of natural disasters have been going on time after time after time in that region.

A ray of sunshine to this entire matter is that at least there will be fewer pirates to terrorize shipping using the Straits of Malacca, as well as less Muslim terrorist conscripts to harass the civilized world.

You can leave this infidel out of any aid to that part of the world.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Post by merryjester »

Uhh..."ray of sunshine"??? I didn't realize that the beach resorts of Thailand were breeding grounds for terrorist infidels. And you're right...no more pirates using the Straits of Malacca. No more Straits of Malacca, either.

BTW, along these lines...I got an email from an accountant today saying that a law has been passed allowing any donations made to the tsunami relief effort in January 2005 to be deductible from your 2004 taxes. Not that capitalizing on human grief should boil down to a handy deduction on our taxes, but what the hell... It's better than nothing and you should know about it.

Here's the text:

SECTION 1. ACCELERATION OF INCOME TAX BENEFITS FOR CHARITABLE CASH CONTRIBUTIONS FOR RELIEF OF INDIAN OCEAN TSUNAMI VICTIMS.
(a) IN GENERAL- For purposes of section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, a taxpayer may treat any contribution described in subsection (b) made in January 2005 as if such contribution was made on December 31, 2004, and not in January 2005.

(b) CONTRIBUTION DESCRIBED- A contribution is described in this subsection if such contribution is a cash contribution made for the relief of victims in areas affected by the December 26, 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami for which a charitable contribution deduction is allowable under section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

H.R. 241 was passed by House and Senate on Jan. 6, 2005.
Sent to the President for signing on 1/6/05

...be sure to note on your check "Only for use by non-infidels, please". :wink:
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Just donate a 20 to your local church, thats what I did. I dont think the city should get involved but I wouldnt try to stop them. I know some of them over there are wearing osama shirts but doesnt mean the rest dont deserve help.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

WHOM TO GIVE YOUR DONATION TO

Post by mattbb61 »

Before you DO provide a donation, you should ensure that the organization to which you are about to part with your hard earned income is actually legitimate.

Even IF they ARE, check their administrative overhead. You should not consider parting with your donation to an outfit with say, a 50% overhead.

The smart donator will check to ensure that they are also NOT becoming a willing part of an unknown scam such as:
http://www.nysun.com/article/6960

RAIN IN THE FORECAST

Post by Guest »

If you pay attention to the weather reports on local news..."STORM WATCH" It's a joke compared to what the the rest of the world has experienced. We apparently are very weak...
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

Guest, You've got that right! I hope I dont hear the word DROUGHT for a LONG time to come... It's also not just the weather around the world; many in this country have NO idea just HOW good they have it until you go overseas, or even down south. We have SO many blessings to count, even on our WORST days!