AmCan history

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Susan (Towle) Ghandehari

AmCan history

Post by Susan (Towle) Ghandehari »

Is there a local historian out there? Or an American Canyon Historical Society? Or a local history section of the library?
Issa was kind enough to respond to my query about a local historian and offered me space on this webpage to post items. Thanks, Issa, and I will. However, I'm really looking for someone to adopt and care for this large collection of historical documents, photos, and articles about early days in American Canyon (That would be from 1952 to the mid-1960's, when we used to call it "Napa Junction" ).
My mom, Pearl E. Towle, used to write a weekly column about Napa Junction for the Vallejo Times Herald and the Napa Register when it was just a fledgling town. We didn't even have a police dept, nor fire dept, nor library, church, sanitation dept, 4-H, Cub Scouts, nor anything above elementary school. We moved to McKnight Acres before even Rancho Del Mar was built.
Anyone interested in AmCan history?
Dale Osmond

Post by Dale Osmond »

Hi Susan: How are you coming with the material you are organizing for me? I spoke to our City Manager about your offer and he is excited as I am to see what you have. Please let me know when we can get together. Thanks for thinking of us. Dale
Susan (Towle) Ghandehari

Post by Susan (Towle) Ghandehari »

Well, a friend just recommended to me that I call Dolly Mikolajcik at Mid-City Nursery (another old-timer), and Dolly told me about the Historical Committee at the American Canyon City Hall. I'll take a day off work soon to deliver the boxes and binders to the Historical Committee. I hope you all, as a community, will push for a way to access all the information, either a little museum or a historical society or a section of the library, so it won't just be gathering dust somewhere.
Where will today's history be preserved? Probably on sites just like this one. Keep up the good work, Issa!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Thanks Susan! I'm glad that my hard work is paying off, the emails have been positive, and the support has been great!
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

american canyon history

Post by napaseller »

hi, whatever happened to these items? were they taken to the city hall? are they available for residents? i was just asking the library the other day and the librarian showed me some material but i thought they should have more. she didn't seem to know where it could be obtained. any insight would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Last time I heard Susan submitted a few binders of photos and articles to the Chamber of Commerce. She scanned a few pics for me and they are on the pictures page. They were suppose to start some historical area in the Library or something but I dunno exactly.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
maygoddess

get the pictures to the American Canyon Eagle!

Post by maygoddess »

At the Chamber BBQ at Fran's last week, the new Napa Register's American Canyon Eagle newspaper was announced. Inaugral issue is out August 31st. Perhaps someone from the library or who ever has these images could get them to the newspaper editor..it would be nice to see it in our new newspaper coming to town next week!