2006 Mayor & City Council Election (all related posts)

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

clarification

Post by amcannative »

None of the forums are live, however Harry Martin's show is live on Monday and the candidiates will be on it at 6pm.

Ed West
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Where I got the televised information

Post by ac94503 »

The Eagle is sponsoring a televised candidates forum Wednesday at Canyon Oaks elementary School, 475 Silver Oak Trail, at 7:00 p.m.

This was in an article in this week's Eagle. But that's fine, I hope they will let us know when it will be shown on Channel 28.
James Walker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Call In

Post by James Walker »

They said you might want to call in to the station to check for the times that they are going to be playing it, because it isnt regurarly scheduled program.
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by allstar04 »

I too received Mr. Maguire's DVD in the mail. I watched it, not because I support him, but because I was curious. I was curious as to WHY he would choose to put his message out on a DVD when there was an opportunity for him on Tuesday night to speak to the citizens of American Canyon directly. He said that there were not may opportunities for him to meet with the public. Well Tuesday night was a good one and he missed it. He said on the DVD that he is a working man, that because he works he doesn't attend city functions, or participates on committees, boards or commissions. I found offense to this. I have a working family. My husband and I both work full time jobs that we commute to. We are tired when we come home, yet we both find the time to volunteer in our community and to attend functions put on by our city. We are not part of any social clicks. We attend because we want to be a part of our city. He said on the DVD that as Mayor the citizens of American Canyon would not see very much of him because he would be too busy fixing all of the problems. As Mayor, you are the public face of the community. How are we to trust you if we don't see you or if you don't have some sort of presence in the community? How do you know what issues are really important to the community if you are not out talking to the people who live here? Mr. Maguire talked a lot about what was "wrong" with our city (traffic, water), yet never spoke about the good things, like Donaldson Way Elementary increase their State test scores to 826, 26 points higher than their target goal. I wanted to ask him what he thought was good about our city at the Tuesday night's forum, among other things. Too bad he wasn't there.

Stepping down from the soapbox!
Becca
Wanderer
Wanderer

Maguire's DVD

Post by Becca »

I have been following the mud slinging in this forum only for a few weeks now. I must say that it all makes me sick - almost enough not to vote at all. However, I too was curious about Maguire's DVD and couldn't wait to get home this evening to check my mail. Sure enough, there it was! As I watched it, I couldn't help but recall the criticism in this forum..... and completely agree! The strongest point I want to make about his DVD is actually a statement my 14 year old daughter said when it was over: "He's bashing everyone else, but isn't saying what he plans on doing for AC"
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

A few questions for Mr. West.

Post by ac94503 »

I heard Joan Bennet at the last Council meeting mention some type of code of ethics for Council members to qualiify to serve on the Council.
Can't remember what term was used exactly but apparently there will be a new job description. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, a new job description for the Mayor's responsibility.

My first question: Is this a new tactic to remove Ms. Coffey from office like we saw with Ms. Luperini?

My next question: Is the Council going to spend their time deciding who is appropriate to serve and who is not instead of making decisions that will address the many issues facing this community?

And last: You mentioned in one of your posts that you had information regarding problems from out of state with one candidate. You said you would not use it in your campaign. Is that not against what you stand for?
Should you not at least talk to that individual and let them know that if this information is made public, and you are elected, it is going to take more of the Council's time to remove them from office?

I address these questions to you, Mr. West, because you have responded to most posts on this site, I believe honestly.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

AC94503

Post by amcannative »

I do respond on this site when I can and I feel there is a sincere interest to the questions. AC94503 we have bumped heads at times, but I respond to you because I think you are sincere in your questions. I appreciate that.

My comments about out of state crimes was a demonstration of how I am provided with the "mud", but I refuse to sling it. I have no intention of using anything and never indicated that I would.

I do not know of any way to remove Cindy from the council, except via the voters in 2008. So I do not see any time being used on this by the council.

The Mayoral job needs a job description, list of duties etc.

Although I lost to Joan in June, I have a huge amount of respect for her and could not think of a better candidiate to lose against.

Ed West
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Reply to Ed West

Post by ac94503 »

Mr. West,

You probably just got my vote.

Thank you
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Just Curious?

Post by ac94503 »

Mr West,

Do you really think that this website is "hate.com"? I only ask because through discussion, on this venue, you have been able to respond to any accusation or misinformation that may be out there in the community.

I think this forum has never been used to it's potential and you have realized it is an alterative way to communicate to the public immediately.

Also, addicting!

Thank you Issa for this site.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Hate dot com

Post by amcannative »

I must admitt there has been more interaction in the last few weeks than in the months that I have been on this web site.

I started buying into the HATE DOT COM stuff, when I watched as people attacked the recognition ball, attacked the forth of July, etc. I will try and check that comment in the future, but I hope that the likes of the others will start thinking twice about attacking us on here.

Remember- when someone says something about me that is not accurate or is taken out of context, but reported as truth, either here or in the other publications in town, most people here and in the publication carry anonymity, we do not. SO if someone prints here that Ed West is anti-family or working man or that Ed West is a bully or that Ed's son died for oil and he should be ashamed of driving a chromed out Hummer, what ever else has been printed here and in the publication- the writers have anonymity. I do not. We carry these comments as we shop and as we buy gas or watch our kids sports or go to work. Our kids get questioned on them, or read them and wonder why people would print mean things.

If you say that this is part of politics, the answer I have is
that if a responsible person writes something that is contraversial or inaccurate, about one of us and required to identify themselves the credability of the writer is possibly at risk and therefore writers will be more responsible and accountable.

When annonymous people are allowed to attack and disparage known persons, there is no accountability for their actions and comments.

I realize that this is a long answer to a short question, but it is important to try and articulate this issue.

Thanks

Ed West
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

3rd Council Member Selection

Post by ac94503 »

Napa Register Today...

“If a person votes for three people, it’s called an over-vote and the city council votes would not be counted,” said Registrar of Voters John Tuteur. “Everything else on that ballot counts but not that race.”

Please tell me this does not mean that "one" person could screw-up the election for council seats?

Also, from the article the Council has still not decided how that 3rd seat would be filled either by the next highest vote getter or another election?

And I was hoping it would all be over real soon....what was I thinking!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

According to council minutes they are going to appoint the next highest vote getter instead of paying for another election. So let's say Cecil Shaver and Don Callison are the highest and James Walker comes in 3rd he would be appointed to council.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Campaign Rhetoric and Personal Attacks

Post by VicRiv »

I will be glad when the election is over. The nastiness and personal attacks has gotten really ugly. I feel bad for my participation while on this forum and in other venues.

Politics does bring out the best and worst in some people. The sniping last night at the council inclusing petty finger pointing needs to stop.

The last speaker at the first public comment section had it right. Let's concentrate on the real problems, solutions and best interests of American Canyon.

American Canyon deserves the best. Let's put differences aside and move forward regardless of who is elected. Ben Anderson said it correctly: we all have to live together.

Have a nice day and remember to vote!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Now someone has taken the fall for the misinformation. It is truly a sad day in American Canyon. How will all this slandering of ones character effect future candidates coming forward?

I don't know where you live, but my neighbors and other communities are pretty angry about this.
Ray Marcus
New User
New User

Congradulations

Post by Ray Marcus »

Gentleman: First, both Beth and I would like to congratulate your commitment, your integrity, and the class to which you all three ran your campaign. You have chosen to use the ‘High Road’ and it illustrate what you gentleman are made of. It substantiates that integrity was needed in American Canyon’s political scene. We are proud of you Leon, for being our very first ‘Mayor of American Canyon’. You will provide the City with the level of professionalism that we have so long needed with the rest of Napa County. Ed and Don, the same goes for you both. The City now has elected officials that, in their heart, will provide the best for our City with the best. Congratulations to ‘OUR’ Three Amigos.

Ray and Beth Marcus

Longtime Residents of American Canyon
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I don't call slandering someone integrity.

If you watched the debate of the council forum, I noted it was all about Walmart. Where were the big ideas, I guess we will have to wait for that.