Gold Star Mothers

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Gold Star Mothers

Post by amcannative »

Gold Star Mothers started during WWII. Mothers and Fathers of Service Members that are killed in a war, sew a Gold Star over their blue star and hang these with pride.

Being I am a Gold Star Parent, I am interested in meeting more of us. There may be some Gold Star families in American Canyon. Fathers and Mothers of fallen heroes from Korea or Vietnam or the Gulf War etc.

If you know of any Gold Star families and they are interested in talking, would you please provide them with my e-mail address. It is a private interest and nothing more.

Ed West- 707-644-2030
jailcop42@comcast.net
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

While I have never experienced the loss of a child Mr. West. I do have to say your timing for this topic is impeccable.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

What do you mean?

Post by amcannative »

Before I take your response as a jab, what are you trying to state? We just received a proclamation declaring a National Gold Star Mother day acknowledgement and I am working with another Vet Group to try and organize a local recognition- So what does my timing have to do with anything?

I used a NEW topic and did not mention anything political?

Perhaps, I am not allowed to work on anything because it might be construed as political?

I have NEVER used my son in a political arena- so please don't go there, the two year anniversary of his death is Nov 19, I am working an many things around his death, but have not politicized them- so yes timing is relate dto Nov 19, the day he died.

Ed West
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

mindingcitybiz wrote:While I have never experienced the loss of a child Mr. West. I do have to say your timing for this topic is impeccable.
MCB:May this be a loss you never have to experience! As it is one of the most painful losses of all - I believe because it feels so unnatural to lose a child.

Mr. West, I also lost a child on November 19th (1996). But not due to war -- it doesn't matter how we lose them the hurt is still there and we still want to do all that we can to help fill that hurt. I love the story behind the "Gold Star Mothers" -- and would also be very interested in seeing how many we have in American Canyon.

amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Wow

Post by amcannative »

Wow MCB my truest condolences and you are right it does not matter how we lose a child, it hurts forever.

There are triggers that hurt us and they are usually are around the war or that type of stuff, the next three months are emotional challenges for us, Thanksgiving, Christmas and then Jan 20 he would have been 22 but I am sure you have your triggers with regards to how you suffered your loss. Small things, songs, sounds, seeing Marines in Dress Blues, it all hurts. Please understand that while I can not stop the press from occassionally mentioning the loss of Phillip, I have never asked them to make those comments or discussed his loss with them. Losing him though has made me evaluate my mortality and the need to quit saying some day and make some day today. That has made me try for office, since it is something I have wanted to do for years.

I am sorry for your loss and the irony of the importance of Nov 19th to us is a little spooky! Politics is politics, but this is real and to that I offer you any support you may ever need.

Thank you for sharing and take care- now back to politics (lol)

Ed West
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

www.goldstarmoms.com

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Gold Star Mothers Club
Shortly after World War I the Gold Star Mothers Club was formed in the United States to provide support for mothers that lost sons or daughters in the war. The name came from the custom of families of servicemen hanging a banner called a Service Flag in the window of their homes. The Service Flag had a star for each family member in the military. Living servicemen were represented by a Blue Star, and those who had lost their lives were represented by a gold star. Gold Star Mothers are often politically and socially active. Today, membership in the Gold Star Mothers is open to any American woman who has lost a son or daughter in service to the United States.

Founding of the Gold Star Mothers
The Gold Star Mothers was founded by Grace Darling Seibold of Washington, D.C. Her son, First Lieutenant George Vaughn Seibold, was killed in aerial combat over France in August, 1918. Mrs. Seibold was already doing volunteer service in veteran's hospitals. After her son's death, she continued this work, and also began organizing a group of other women who had lost their sons in the war. The mothers did volunteer work together, and served as a support network for one another.

On June 4, 1928, the members of the club decided to establish it as a national organization. They incorporated in Washington DC under the name of American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. At the time, the club had sixty five members, but soon this number soon increased as more women learned about the national organization.

Gold Star Mothers today
Today, membership in the Gold Star Mothers is open to any American woman whose child has died in the line of duty of the United States Armed Forces. Stepmothers and adoptive mothers are eligible for membership under certain circumstances. Husbands of Gold Star Mothers may become Associate Members, who do not vote or pay dues.

Gold Star Mothers is made up of local chapters, which are organized into departments. Five members are required to start a local chapter. If no local chapter is available, a woman may join the organization as a member at large.

Just as when it was founded, the Gold Star Mothers continues to concentrate on providing emotional support to its members, doing volunteer work with veterans in general and veteran's hospitals in particular, and generally fostering a sense of patriotism and respect for members of the Armed Forces.

In early September 2005, Gold Star Mothers accepted its first non-citizen as a member. The group had banned non-citizens for the first 77 years of its existence. Palmer's son, Marine Cpl. Bernard Gooden, died in 2003 in Iraq at age 22.

The group currently has 933 members.

http://www.goldstarmoms.com
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

Thanks MCB for the information on the Gold Star Moms -- very interesting reading!! :D
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Wow

Post by mindingcitybiz »

amcannative wrote:Please understand that while I can not stop the press from occassionally mentioning the loss of Phillip

Your son served our country and should always be honored and remembered for the greatest sacrifice one can give. I would never make light of something so important.

MCB
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by amcannative »

In the event that you know someone that does not want to become involved, please at least share the information. Here are the requirments that have been adjusted to allow family members to join as associate members.

Natural mothers, adoptive mothers or stepmothers, who are citizens or legal residents of the United States or of the territorial and insular possessions of the United States, and whose son or daughter has made the supreme sacrifice while in the service of the United States of America Armed Forces, or died as a result of such service are eligible for membership in American Gold Star Mothers, Inc.

Husbands and children of members of American Gold Star Mothers, Inc may join as Associate Members using the same application. Associate members pay no dues, hold no offices and may not vote.

If you meet the membership requirements, we would be happy to have you join us. Just print out the membership application, fill it out and send it in. You will need Adobe Reader to print the application.

National membership dues are $15. Local chapter and Dept dues are additional and vary across the country. Most are about $3 to $5.

If you have DD Form 1300, Report of Casualty, please submit a copy with your application. If you don't have this document, send in the application form without it.

Ed West [/url]