Roddrick Is the AmCan MAN! From Today's Vallejo Times Herald

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Roddrick Is the AmCan MAN! From Today's Vallejo Times Herald

Post by VicRiv »

AmCan has this man to thank for the fun times there
By DAN JUDGE, Times-Herald staff writer

AMERICAN CANYON - As American Canyon's recreation supervisor, Roddrick Sweeney is responsible for elevating the city's level of play.
For the past four years, he's been in charge of providing classes, special events and sports programs for American Canyon residents in their off hours.

"The one thing I truly appreciate is being in a position where you can do some good things for the community," Sweeney said. "I get to be involved with programing where I can bring the community together - I think that's what it's all about."

In his role as recreation supervisor, the 35-year-old Sweeney is directly responsible for nearly all the city's recreation programs, special events and classes in everything from martial arts to dancing for toddlers.

A favorite program is the Community Services Project Team, which allows high school and middle school students provide volunteer services at city events in return for credit.

Special functions Sweeney handles include the city's Fourth of July celebration, the American Canyon 5K, 10K Run, the annual health fair and, the largest, Friday Nights at the Plaza, a nine-week family event held throughout the summer.

Friday Nights had a long evolution from its genesis as a farmer's market at the Napa Sonoma Wine Country Visitor Services Center in the 1990s.

The market was poorly attended, to say the least. In an effort to rescue the event, it was moved to the city's community gym where it was expanded to include live music, children's entertainment and other vendors. Unfortunately, it fared just as badly and faced cancellation.

"There were people serious about not offering that type of event," Sweeney said.

He lobbied to save it, with some important changes. Developer Rick Hess agreed to let it be held at the highly visible Canyon Plaza off Broadway (Highway 29) on Friday Nights, when most people did not have to get up for work the next morning.

Friday Nights at the Plaza has since turned into a bona fide success story, growing larger every week.

"An event like that does a lot for your community," Sweeney said. "What better way to bring your community together?"

He also played a key role in forming the American Canyon Patriots Pop Warner football team in his off hours.

While Sweeney downplays any impact he may have had on the community and its recreation time, he admits being highly enthusiastic about his job.

"I think it's important that someone responsible for planning events is really passionate about what they are doing," he said. "I am."

Parks and Community Services Director Randy Davis said he felt Sweeney would be a perfect fit for the community when he hired him four years ago.

Davis said he has been pleasantly proven right.

"As a matter of fact, it has worked out exactly as I had hoped and planned," he said. "He has made a significant difference in what we are able to offer the public. Almost all the events he has taken over have improved and grown bigger."

Born and raised in San Rafael, Sweeney attended the College of Marin, then played outfielder for Los Angeles Dodger farm teams for two years.

He was eventually released by the Dodgers and declined to seek his fortune with another team.

"It was a really good experience," Sweeney said. "I learned a lot from my two years there."

One of the most important things he learned - and is trying to impart to his sports-minded sons -is the necessity for a professional athlete to have a backup plan in case things don't work out.

His own backup plan was to return home to work in youth fitness programs for schools in Marin County.

In 2000, he had the opportunity to purchase a house for a relatively low price in a place he had never heard of before -American Canyon. He took the chance and commuted until four years ago, when the recreation supervisor position opened up.

Sweeney say he could not be happier to be part of the small department with only five full-time employees.

The proximity to his family is one advantage, he said. Sweeney's office is within a mile of his house and his office is next door to both American Canyon Middle School, where his eldest son Roddrick Jr. attends, and Donaldson Way Elementary School, where his middle child Anthony is enrolled.

But mostly, Sweeney said he enjoys playing a part in bringing the community together even as the population grows larger and that task becomes ever more challenging.

"It is becoming more difficult because with growth comes the need for more programming," he said. "These events are getting bigger and take up more time."

Nevertheless, Sweeney said it is not just a job for him.

He hopes to eventually make contributions to the community on par with longtime residents who have had a lasting positive impact on the city. Some of those he admires for endlessly volunteering their time include parks commissioner and local activist Lorraine La Voie, who recently died, longtime resident Fran Lemos, Pastor Morris Curry Jr., Vice Mayor Leon Garcia, City Councilman Ben Anderson and Planning Commissioner Victor Rivera.

"Those are the people I look up to in this community," Sweeney said. "I would like to follow in their footsteps.

"That's what American Canyon is all about."