4th of July Festivities

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

4th of July Festivities

Post by Guest »

I guess I am going to be the first to say it. It was worse than last year. I honestly didn't think it could be, but it was. There was NOTHING for the kids to do. Not even the cheapest form of entertainment - a jumpy house!
Why can't we have music that makes a family WANT to pitch a blanket and stay ALL DAY? It would be so much fun to have great music - NOT that rap crap. I really wanted to put a blanket down and socialize with the people I never get to see, but they all left around 1ish.

From now on, as soon as the parade is over, I'm having a huge 4th party. I am not soing to subject my family and friends to this crap any more.

I overheard a woman who drove all the way from Cleatlake to spend time with her family who lives here and she was disgusted on the set up and lack of activities for the children.

Some Valid Points

Post by Guest »

I would say that you have some valid points. But first I would like to point out the positives of the 4th of July.

1. The parade seemed to be bigger along with more attendance.
2. The grass on the park was in great shape (my family didn't need a blanket)
3. The booths were informational and not participatory such as crafts (for my wife), or retail.
4. The food booths were ok just not enough of a competition and prices were too high for us to eat. But luckily discovered Hotdogs at the VFW trailer in corner.
5. I liked the events leading up to this one with the activities for the kids.
6. I didn't like the fact that this was promoted as a kids event and the activities for kids were on the back fence where nobody saw them.
7. The layout was better but instead of having the booths down the angle as general they should have been along the fence where the kids stuff was and the kids moved to the center by the stage. More family-like.
8. We stayed for about one hour and left.
9. Was it worse than last year? I would say "no." I would say, same vendors, same items, same businesses. No obvious kids items. Just no improvement.
10. I do appreciate the effort of the committee which supposedly has been in charge for the last couple of years. I would tell them to get out and get people in there with experience to handle it next year and give it a fresh look. Without more involvement this is ....I am afraid as good as it gets.

So if you want better, go join and help them out. I am too old and it is far easier to be on the sidelines as an armchair quarterback 8)
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

4th of July

Post by ac94503 »

I would like to share some memories about the 4th of July celebration at the Park. I, like Rio Rancho Ray have been here for many years. When the Lyon's Club came up with this idea, it truely was the best event that was happening in AC. We had nothing else. From what I read in all of the local papers it appears the focus is on "sponsors". The focus use to be on individual organizations, booth space rental and having a good time. I use to run a booth for $25. Sold a product that kid's loved. I didn't make a lot of money but my kids had a place always to report to (They were going to be at the park so, soooo was I)
There really were no organized events for kids...they entertained themselves with water balloon fights, pick-up football games, dunk tank, and digging in the creek for crawdads... Almost all the money I made in a day went back into the event by my kid's constant requests.

Problem:
I think the focus is wrong. "Curious" have a party in the park. Rent a space. Of course the powers that be need to make the price reasonable!!!
Stop focusing on CYA on expense and start providing an opportunity for everyone whether they be an individual or organized group to have at booth that provides entertainment or variety of foods to the public so you hold their attention through out the day.

As for the bands??? Kids like Rap-Crap! I think we can do better...Meet half way.

Curious, as Rio Rancho Rey suggested: Get Involved...
wetlands nieghbor
Wanderer
Wanderer

same same

Post by wetlands nieghbor »

Applications for getting "involved" are non existant with the current regime at the helm.

Most residents stay clear of involvement when their input will be disregarded, as it was last year. It will again this year too.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. This has been the AC way; mediocrity or worse.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

4th of July

Post by amcannative »

I would like to thank the committee members that worked hard to accomplish this years festivities. Complainers need to get invovled. If you get involved, but no one listens, then get more involved. If you want a Jumpy House, then sponsor it. I don't care how old you are pay the fees for the Jumpy House and approach a group to run it. I found the liabilty insurance connected with a Jumpy House or a Dunk Tank to be prohibitive.

Last year we sponsored a booth, this year we opted not to, but stuck with the parade. My wife and I were both minor committee volunteers and we saw the efforts and committment by the committee and before anyone complains I expect to see them at the meeting in August. Cori did a very nice job and the committee worked very hard. Thank you for all your efforts and work.

Ed West
wetlands nieghbor
Wanderer
Wanderer

working hard at what

Post by wetlands nieghbor »

They worked very hard to maintain the status quo. They worked very hard to keep the same people in charge. They worked very hard keeping out who they don't like. They worked very hard to showcase themselves. They worked very hard to ensure it was no fun again. They worked very hard to keep it from being kid friendly. They worked very hard to have music which is offensive. They worked very hard alright, like they always do, to maintain their power, and to alienate the rest the community. Glad you are a part of them and you think they did so well. Most dont.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

The 4th of July

Post by amcannative »

What a negative and pompous response. Name one meeting that you went to and were excluded? Name one idea you surfaced and were excluded? Name one sponsor you produced to help make it a better event? What booth did you have there to make it kid friendly? What contests or games did you sponsor? How many hours did you put into a booth for kids? If this City is so terrible and the schools are so terrible and the celebrations are so terrible, but you do not get off your butt and do anything to help, then why do you live here? Since you won't sign your name I will call you Eore-

Ed West
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Negativity and the 4th?

Post by amcannative »

As this last election got started I thought this web site would be a great way of inter-acting and exchanging ideas. I quickly learned that there is no interest in inter-acting. The same small group of people think they are having a huge impact on the lives and conditions here in American Canyon. At first I thought it was political and anything can happen in politics, so it was a grain of salt. Your political beliefs and positions and power are of no consequences proven by the fact that you had zero effect in keeping Joan out or myself out of second place.
Congratulations to Joan- lets move on and do what is best for the City.

When I read the disgusting native comments posted by Rancho Rey and others regarding the Appreciation Ball I knew we had a problem. To find nothing positive out of an Appreciation Ball, is amazing.

Now the 4th of July was a failure? If you wanted a Jumpy sponsor one! If the kids need games, sponsor them! That would tak eeffort and dedication

Supposedly according to the wetlands person people are leaving Amcan Schools do to their poor qualities- The reality here is that the parents work closer to Yountville so they picked that school along with the offering of after school child care.

Then you all feel we should cut our noses to spite our faces and not have a High School because the School district dares to cover more than just Amcan High School building expenses. I will not identify the leader in the idea of developing our own school district, but Cindy is not the expert, I met the expert while doing a meet and greet.

Our water is killing us

Volunteers do not do enough

My god folks what do you like about American Canyon? Why live here if it is a communist city that has a power base that excludes all you normal people? How can you honestly complain that the 4th of July did not have enough for kids to do? Where were you? What booth did you sponsor but were excluded? What meeting were you excluded from? Even the election did not cater to you enough. You complained that the alternative voting was not convenient or known?

Very rude and mean comments were made about me by you and your cronnies at the POST.

Let’s get some things straight:

I never did anything against Lori Luporini- She and I agreed to disagree regarding the asphault, in favor of helping establish a free market here in American Canyon. Then this election drove another wedge between us. I regret that, but hopefully we will make up some day.

I am glad that I offended you by placing a door hanger on your door when you had a sign for my opponent in your yard. Throw the door hanger away-

My son did not die in a war for oil- he died defending our country from terrorism. Some day when we get hit by terrorists on this coast you will be the first complaining that we were not defended enough and screaming for help from the “none team player” Law Enforcement agencies in the Valley.

My Hummer is not chromed, it is more on the blacked out side- it lets me move around more stealthly.

Some of you foolishly stated that I would be stealing from my employer if I was elected. The rules are very clear that I can not receive a gift of public funds, city time would be on my time. The nice thing is that I am in Administration and have a clause in my contract that allows me to work out a flex schedule. My integrity would not allow me to steal time.

The concept that Law enforcement does not know how to work as a team is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. You have been watching to many movies. With 250+ inmates in custody and 12-15 officers controlling them- that is team work. My experience is that people that do not like Law Enforcement usually have a reason- they are either criminals or they have off spring that are criminals.

I met some nice people in the race. We handed out over 3000 door hangers, attended 2 forums, 30+ meet and greets, one TV forum, and a News paper interview. I dared to have my kids and my niece and nephew help in passing out door hangers. I chose to not knock on doors, it bothers me when I get that kind of interruption in my day and I did not want to do that. I simply placed the hangers and talked to those that I saw face to face. EVERY ONE OF MY SIGNS WAS HUNG LEGALLY. I even received an apology from Cal Trans because they removed some of mine and realized they had made a mistake and put them back. One of you stated that my signs were illegally placed you are a liar! For this being the first election that we ever managed, a group of people sat at my table and we mapped out a campaign- we beat two candidates that had ran previously and almost made it to the finish line. What ever we did worked and you had no impact on it.

I met Paul Maguire and unlike all you pro Maguire people, Paul is a nice guy. I don’t agree with much he has to say politically, but he seems very nice.

JT Miller- I think you mean well, but you are to union controlled for me.

James Walker- Keep it up you will be a formidable challenger in the future. I hope you do get involved in the recreation program.

Bill Russell- you are one of the nicest guys I have every met. You are true to your word and your passion.

Joan- Congrats. You are dedicated to American Canyon. I do not agree with your politics, but as a person I think you are sincere. If I can ever be of help let me know.

None of you were ever ignored or excluded from any committe or group. You are just to lazy to get involved and it is easier to sit behind the computer and make accusations and inuendo and call names and use a moniker, not your name. You’re just to darn negative to get anything done. At least some of us put our names on the line. I will sign my name

Ed West
Councilmember Coffey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Reply to Mr. West

Post by Councilmember Coffey »

Ed West and rest of posters on this site:

The only time I look here is when somebody calls because my name is mentioned like today. I am not getting on my soapbox mostly because I can’t find it at this hour.

But what I will say is that I will not be blamed for how people feel in this community. No matter what you do, it will never be good enough to suit everybody. That is a lesson I learned in ’03. I also learned that doing your best is what is most important that will benefit the majority of the residents. Not everybody will like it and that is ok.

In 2004, I campaigned on Education, Recreation, and Open Government. I still have 200 sports cups to prove it. To date I have kept my promises.

Education: I am walking the areas around Kimberly when I can to share information with residents about the importance of an elementary school there to allow for no bussing except with special needs children and to balance the demographics. I have participated on the High School plan and have been working with Dr. Glaser to make the school the recipient of a grant for new laptops for all students to cut down on books and make it easier for kids. I also serve on the education committee with the city where I share ideas, help plan for the future growth and anticipated new schools. I also buy any fundraising items brought to me by my neighbor children so long as it doesn’t include fish.

Recreation: In working with the school district, I managed to secure the necessary funding of 1.5 million dollars to adequately redo the Kimberly Park. You may remember I didn’t support the 2005-2006 budget because no funding was given to install new playground equipment and work on Kimberly Park, but the City Manager increased his discretionary spending account 50K. I thought the money needed to be redirected. I also championed the pavement needed at the little league after falling myself while attending a game. I was very disappointed to learn that the city missed a grant opportunity due to a “communication and timing” error by the former planning director last year that cost us a large amount of funding for the Veterans Park. A park that is long overdue for the first group of new residents that the city collected park fees from. I have many other recreational accomplishments but I won’t bore you at this time.

Open Government: Well if I haven’t proved that so far it will never happen. I ask questions continually, expecting reliable explanations and justifications for our city’s actions and expenditures. I have challenged the accounting and found there to be several errors. Errors that residents are now discovering as well. I have exposed applicant’s true intentions, failures to provide truthful information, and slowed down the former way of doing business on the fly by requesting more time for consideration on intricate and involved transactions. I expect the city staff to be forthright with problems as they occur and not try to hide them until they cost a million dollars or result in a costly lawsuit. I am practicing this as I sit on council.

As for the Post, this paper is available for any member of the community to submit articles as they wish space permitted. That is freedom of speech. Just like the Register running checks on the candidates the day before an election. It is freedom of speech. If you choose to run for office you are allowing yourself to be the target for every fan and every fanatic. That is how it is. People move on and forget. They forget you, what you did, and why you did it. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad. Bottom line is you can’t please everybody and if you try you will not have a good life even in politics.

As for following the leader….you give me far too much credit. Having our own school district is a great opportunity. One that would have to be well thought out, deemed to be financially sound, and supported by the community, as it would require a vote. Dialogue is what is important. If people are talking about wanting their own school district then they will get involved on a local level and decide if they want one or not. It is not an overnight process. San Francisco’s split took 10 years to plan. But at the same time it is not the responsibility of the city to provide land free of charge, at some time the school district must step up along with development to provide these basic services.

As for the cost of the new school: Let’s look at the safety station. When it was proposed it was originally about 2.5 million dollars. When it finally gets into construction the cost escalates to over 8 million. The school property has many problems including slopes, wetlands, as well as other issues. These things require different building procedures. Additionally, you have to furnish the school, buy safety equipment, bleachers, electronics, library items, and more not to mention paying for the operational cost associated with it like staffing, utilities, and facility maintenance. I am sure all of that is included in the projected costs. I would rather the bond be a bit over then under and have a 1/2 completed school.

4th of July: I participated in the parade #5a, threw candy got sore arms and saw a ton of wonderful residents that I only get to see at public activities like this. I spent time in the park signing the Relay for Life banner, watching the Lori King dancers, Listening to Victor Rivera’s inspiration speech about getting involved with the high school and sitting on the grass enjoying 4 tostadas heaped high with radishes and hot sauce with friends and my husband. I left around 3 p.m. as I was expecting company. I miss our family reunion each year in Santa Barbara to participate in this event so I make sure to make the most of it. Since I can watch 8 sets of fireworks from my back yard I will say that each year Randy does a better job as I compare to those other “big” cities that have bigger budgets.

I received all of the emails for the event throughout the year, and made suggestions at council meetings to Cori and the committee. I also asked Mike Anderson from Aegis to help with the kids’ area. I even got him to agree to provide and pay for a jumpy house so I personally expected to see one there and was surprised when it wasn’t. When I spoke to Mr. Anderson after the event he stated that nobody called him back. So the intention was there it simply fell through the cracks. I also have donated a couple of thousand of dollars of free advertising for this event. Not a press release but real ads. The Post has donated over 30 thousand dollars in free advertising for non-profit organizations activities no other paper does that not even the Echo. They charge everybody.

The election process is a wonderful one. The last voter turnout was a clear indication that the community needs to get more information and get more involved. If you or anyone else chooses to give your time to run for office then you should be proud of yourself it is quite a challenge as you have experienced. I would encourage anyone who has the time, interest, and desire to run for office or apply to be on a commission. Diversity of opinion protects the residents on issues presented before commissions, committees, and councils. It also creates an interesting community full of wonderful people old and new, retired or working, renters or owners and many others.

If anybody has any questions about where I am on an issue or a question about something you like or dislike in the city I am fully accessible by calling 310-9119 anytime day or night. You will get a call back if I don’t answer. All I ask is don’t speculate on my views ask me about them I am most willing to share them.

Thank you,

Councilmember Coffey
2:48 a.m. Sunday, July 9, 2006

P.S. This site does allow for people to vent which again is all part of freedom of speech, who really cares if they are negative, post positive items for residents to get the whole picture don't react negatively then the process doesn't work. Any dialogue is good as long as people are involved and engaged. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and let them make up their own minds on issues. Negative or Positive. I would rather people vented on a website then hold it in and eventually "go postal" in a public space. You in your position know better than most that it is a better way to express yourself then end up in jail. Just my opinion.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Wow Ed, you can bet you'll never get my vote should you ever run again. Name calling. What a guy!
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Reply to Mel

Post by ac94503 »

Mel,

You know sometimes your emotions seem to take over where your cause is lost. Cindy wrote a very good response to Mr. West's observations. Mr. West had some very good points. You seem to be the fan that feels they need to protect Cindy from any criticism. You really (from what I read) do more harm than good.
Cindy is quite capable of responding for herself.
My observation!!!
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Actually, I posted that response before I read what Cindy had written. That doesn't change the way his post made me feel.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

The 4th

Post by amcannative »

Mel and anyone else reading this

I can live without your vote Mel.

Telling someone that they are negative and mean, too lazy to get involved is not Politically Correct, but it is not name calling, they were legitimate call outs. When I was running there were a couple of times that I told people "you probably should not vote for me, because we have nothing in common". I believe that the great majority of the Citizens of this city hate negativity, whining and complaining they respect calling it for what it is and having solutions in place of complaints. Everyone knows we are not perfect, but we are very proud of our city and while things can always improve, the days of sitting on the sidelines and complaining are hopefully coming to an end. I did not attack Cindy in this at all unless she was one of the users that I was responding to about how awful the 4th was. I do not believe she was so the only reference I made to her is that one of the postings implied she had the corner on the separate school district idea and I do not believe that she does, but I have no qualms with Cindy- she put it out there and put her name on the line and ran and won- she deserves respect for doing that, it is not easy to do.

Ed West
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

City events

Post by VicRiv »

There are a plethora of volunteer opportunities for those willing to help. Sometimes it's just easier to complain about the work someone else is doing.

I am going to step up to the plate for next years event (our city's 15th) and suggest the following:

-more old-fashioned family style events such as pie or watermelon eating contests. This would have worked under the tent set up by stage.
-three legged, wheelbarrow, water-balloon toss (very low cost, but high entertainment and participation levels)
-'Open mike' for about an hour in the mid-afternoon
-volleyball net, footballs should be provided to encourage those activities
-encourage a civic group to sponsor milk bottle, ring toss, type games instead of having most activities costing $$$

I am also willing to donate $150 for prizes/ribbons..anyone want to help??
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Next Year

Post by ac94503 »

Vic Riv, I think you are on the right track! I have a few suggestions for the committee. Every year the grammar school PTA's sponsor a carnival. They have the games. They know what the kid's like. They run it! Why doesn't the committee ask them to run a booth that could entertain the kids and make a little money for the PTA's fund? Actually, the PTA could budget it as a membership drive.
I understand that the middle school this year held a Bingo night. This could be an event held under the tent at the 4th of July. Young and Old could play at designated times.
Free Mic? I hope this means Kareoke? (sic) Everyone thinks they are a star...Entertaining? Absolutely.
I hope you will take my suggestions to the committee.
Next year has many possibilities. If you have suggestions, why not post them here for the committee to read and research if you do not have the time or availability to attend the meetings.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Suggestions

Post by VicRiv »

The 4th of July Planning Committee has previously met the 3rd Wed of each Month. I believe they will be meeting next week for a Post Event Feedback session.
I have already emailed my suggestions to some of the members and Randy Davis (who agreed they were good suggestions). The one thing they need more of is volunteers. ANY TAKERS?

I attended the ACMS Middle School Carnival..That was my inspiration-they had good ol' fashion fun and the kids had a great time.
I talked to some of the teachers..it's difficult to get help for events not planned within the school year.

Post by Guest »

Wow, people get picked apart on this forum. That's amazing. I have to say that I went to the 4th of July function with my elderly parents. I found it to be plain. What ever happened to old fashioned games for the kids AND the adults. I am sure everyone would be up for the 3 legged race - family style! There is my suggestion- someone hand it in - and DO NOT critisize me for having an opinion.
I don't have kids, but would have had a blast partaking with my friends and neighbors! I had to leave early because the music was annoying to my parents (they are 80 and 83). We did see the helecopter land and my dad enjoyed that , as a retired pilot. We loved the bbq sandos although they were a bit expensive - we know the family that ran it so that's why we bought there.
I would have liked to see more of the businesses that we have already here have a booth. Yes, PTA/PTO would have been a great idea, but who wants to do school stuff in the summer?

I think that the committee needs new blood at the helm. I would love to be involved, but right now, it's just more important I be there for my family.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Volunteer Inforation

Post by VicRiv »

From what I understand, they will be meeting this Wed at the Rec Center on Elliott Drive..7:00 or 7:30..you can call Randy Davis, Recreation Director at 648-7275.
The members planned the entire 4th of July Celebration, Parade, Fireworks etc.