Petition for High Speed Internet Access for AmCan!

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Abeller

Petition for High Speed Internet Access for AmCan!

Post by Abeller »

please sign this petition i created. we need to let PacBell know how serious we are about getting DSL or other high speed internet options to us!

thank you

AmCan DSL petition
Nora

Post by Nora »

I agree. I met the mayor in Mail Boxes etc. when he was speaking to someone about getting it for the city office and I wonder if a line was laid this last week in the cut in the road next to the building. I want Covad and I was told that they have not been notified by Pacbell that the necessary amplifiers are in place. I can only get business service at about $149.00 per month. That is prohibitive. With all these new homes and new businesses, I think the city council needs to make it CLEAR to Pacbell that we want service and choices, not just them!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Well hopefully this petition is a step in the right direction. After enough signatures it should be presented to the board, which is probably what is planned in the first place. We can also spam the mayors email, maybe that will get their attention to get off their butts and think about the online citizens as well.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
patty

Post by patty »

I am confused..I live in Chesapeake devision since Sept02 and have PacBell DSL installed...are they not offering DSL in ALL of AC?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Hey Patty,

I think most of AC does get one type of service, but thats the big problem, you have no other choice!!

For us old timers, you may remember getting a dial up service astonished to find out that there were no local numbers so you had to pay long distance, or there was one and it was always busy.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

No, more like you CAN'T get PacBell DSL in most of AC.
robin navarro

Post by robin navarro »

There is high speed access now through deep blue wireless.
Scott Wainner

American Canyon Wireless DSL - now available

Post by Scott Wainner »

I wanted to let everyone know that highspeed wireless DSL is now available throughout American Canyon for $49/month, with a one time $225 setup/equipment fee for most customers, via a pilot project.

When I moved to AC last year, no high-speed access was available. I enlisted the serivces of a company called Deep Blue Wireless to wirelessly distribute the DSL service that is available to the Safeway shopping center, throughout the city, and I am now working with them to help spread the word.

I have been using the service for 3 months from my home in La Sienna at Montevino. It is 1.5 Mbps down, 384 Kbps up, (i.e.- 30 times faster than dial-up) and I have had no problems: it's as fast and reliable as DSL that I had in my former residence for many years. The service already has several subscribers, including the mayor of American Canyon, and the pilot project will accept 25-30 customers at which point the service will expand into a full scale offering if all goes well.

Note that there is a $225 setup and equipment fee if no external antenna is required, but the setup/equipment fee will vary according to the signal quality at your location and equipment and installation services that are required.

Many residents in the Montevino neighborhood are likely to require no external equipment (only a wireless 802.11b radio connected to the user's PC). Houses that have been pre-wired with Cat-5 cabling can have this service wired through their patch panel for additional fees.

Only Deep Blue Wireless can provide you with an actual price quote.

Please help spread the word to any American Canyon residents that have expressed an interest in high-speed internet.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Well, well I have DSL through SBC and does me fine and only had to pay for the modem and pay 29.95 a month. It works real good but then again you live in the new section where you dont have nothing but the big house and the little tiny back yard where only the bbg can set. I love my DSL.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

What is available and where?

Post by Yardley »

I am preplexed. We have SBC DSL, and I believe Cable Comacast is also available where we live in Am Can.

I thought by this point in time, one or both (of the above) services where available in most of Am Can.

I became aware of Deep Blue Wireless by a response to a topic I posted about the inconsistent or poor SBC DSL speed. (by the way, the consistency has improved)

Issa---I do remember having to use a Pinole ph# for dial-up service because this was the only number we could access that was not considered long-distance as defined by Pac Bell. :shock: Yet, if you drive-up hwy 29 a couple of miles (still in Am Can) you can have a Napa prefix. :roll: That old Vallejo tether that still binds us.

Pumpkin---What's with the very transparent hostility and sarcasm towards Scott, the Montevino resident? [-X Just what is the source of your resentment?
Stemsch
Wanderer
Wanderer

I have DSL

Post by Stemsch »

I've had DSL for about a year now through SBC yahoo and have had no problems with it. :lol: :)

Post by guest »

u can get the blue tooth thing through the ups store in am can.
TheUPSstore
New User
New User

Internet Service at The UPS Store

Post by TheUPSstore »

Anyone can get internet access at my UPS Store for $6.00/hr. I also offer option of 24 hour access
-Amit
707-647-7500
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

I am so tired of people whinning all the time about anything and everything. You are never happy just because you dont get dsl in your area which that is what you should have checked into before you bought your home but then again you are always better than the rest of us and only want the high and mighty stuff. you should have checked to see that the extension of North vallejo had dsl when you moved in and as for me picking on Scott I dont even know him.

DSL

Post by Guest »

I tried to sign as you asked but I don't know how to get it your link just takes you to a web page. Once there how do I find it.

Post by Guest »

Pumpkin, what IS your real problem with the new residents? Your anger makes you sound young and un informed. I have only been here for 5 years, I live in a 17 year old house, my kids go to school here and we live on 1 income. We make sacrifices to live on 1 income too. I am no different that anyone else who has lived here for 30, 40 0r 50 years. Gosh, I am 4th generation Marin - that means BEFORE the money moved in. I NEVER treated the new people like you treat people. That is just, well, stupid. My husband relocated job wise and we moved here, simple as that. Learn to live with it.
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

I have also been here for 17 years and my family are also on 1 income so I understand how people feel but when I came here in the begining I did not want change just for the sake of it. I feel that the 'new' people are doing just that. Really if you are new or old it makes no difference I am just sick of the whining. Just remember that when they first moved here the old council were there and it was good enough for them then.
GetOverIt

lamelamelame...new vs. old

Post by GetOverIt »

please. 'new' people? do us all a favor (new and old residents) and shut the hell up.

change is progress. deal with it.

comcast is here with cable internet now. if not for the "new" residests of AmCan, you think comcast would have lifted a finger? probably not.

not to mention the income the "new" residents of AmCan are bringing in for the city...maybe a new road? oh, it's already built. maybe a new Safeway? oh, got that too. how about some more retail? oh. what do you know. it's there.

shut up dude, you are a moron. i cant wait till all the housing prices go way way up and you decide to sell. all us "new" AmCansters will not miss you one bit.
Rudolph is here

Post by Rudolph is here »

have you notice it is all the new residence that have moved in here thinking that they can just come in here and tell us the older residence how our town is going to be and they do all the complaining of EVERYTHING right down to the can at the council meetings so you see we all would get along is they would just stop complaining about everything. If they are so unhappy about the smell, hunting and walmart coming in and DSL no here then put your house up for sale and get out of here. There are some real nice new residence around here that just enjoy our city the way it is and I enjoy having them in our town because that like to help not hurt our town like MOST of the new residence

Post by Guest »

i agree Rudolph,

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT...GET OUT!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_ ... _francisco

The city of San Francisco is planning to make free wireless access available. I think this would be an awesome idea for the city of American Canyon. Our city is small enough that it should be simple. I would like to see a wifi area in AmCan somewhere where residents can surf the net.
Itsy Bitsy

SBC or Comcast

Post by Itsy Bitsy »

I was really frustated that I couldn't get DSL and had to take comcast which is more expensive. So I made several calls to SBC and was able to find out that the antenna for SBC is in Vallejo. SBC said I was to far away, yet my friend who lives in Victoria Faire was able to get SBC. So I pressed more. Bottom line we have both SBC & Comcast available in American Canyon, but because of "Agreements" certain areas will be able to have comcast, and others have SBC. We won't have the options for both until the FCC agreements have been fulfilled. In the mean time I play the game with Comcast take the $20 deal until it expires, than cancel my subscription, wait 3 months and renew my contract. Unfortunately it is just not in my budget to pay $70 a month for interenet service.

For the naysayers, many people need High Speed internet access because they work from home or run a business from home. That is how they pay for a house that is $700K. Go figure self-employed who would have thought......
Itsy Bitsy

Sharing Information

Post by Itsy Bitsy »

Just because people share information doesn't mean they are complaining. It would be great if people could learn how to discearn from complaining and information giving.

Hi-Speed internet

Post by Guest »

I have had both SBC for the last two years and now Comcast cable internet. SBS was very intermitten. Since I work from home, it ws not adequate.
Comcast is better, but there have been some outages which affected the entire city, from what I was told.
We are currently experimenting with the wireless internet, and my wife loves it..I'm old fashioned, and hard-wired works for me.

and by the way...progress is what is causing changes to be made. It has nothing to do with how long you've lived here or the cost of your home. AmCanyon is now a size which can sustain the business model of many businesses. Soon we will have more retail, more restuarants and other amenities for a city with a population of 15,000.

Life happens.