Drinking Water Quality

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Drinking Water Quality

Post by Guest »

Did anyone else read the article in the Vallejo Times Herald today about the letter we will be receiving regarding the water quality in AC? All I can say is of course it's not a problem to one resident when their livelihood depends on trying to sell property to prospective buyers. I think a letter should have been issued by the city prior to the notice we will receive shortly.
what?

Post by what? »

Why dont you post the link- go to the following, find the article, copy it by using the edit bar, then paste it so we can all see what you are talking about

http://www.timesheraldonline.com

Post by Guest »

a/c resident

water

Post by a/c resident »

Maybe because the city can't unless they are told to by the powers that be. Maybe they have to have it double checked to make sure. Is anything in government that simple? Plus they probably have to check with the local attorney, etc., etc. You know how the city works from watching the council meetings. Nothing is followed through with there so what makes you think any other part of the city isn't doing the same? Or perhaps the city manager was keeping it a secret from the council seeing they had all these water troubles and all.

But I think at the end of the day it is rather unimportant, because according to our local authority Cori B. It's no big deal. Heck we are a new city so if they are poisoning us through the water well it was just a little bit. Next year they will get it right! LOL It could have been a marketing ploy by Culligan the local water distributor to sell bottled water. But don't they use the same water and just ad osmosis?

Good Luck on selling your home.

Post by Guest »

I have been in my newly built house for less than a year and noticed that around the faucet by the kitchen sink and in showers i get like an orange stain that after scrubbing comes off. It is around the grout lines and anywhere where faucets and shower heads swivel. Is this some type of chemical or residue from the water? Does anyone know if getting a water softener will help?

More water news

Post by guest »

American Canyon residents are being notified that earlier this year, city drinking water contained elevated levels of a chemical associated with miscarriages and other health problems.

Trihalomethane, or THM, is a colorless, odorless chemical that was detected at levels nearly twice what the Environmental Protection Agency says is safe for human consumption. Samples taken from March to June from all four monitoring sites in the city exceeded safety standards.

The drinking water is now back to normal THM levels, according to Robert Weil, director of the American Canyon public works department. Weil downplayed the problem, and pointed out that in the past water samples showed similar spikes in THM levels, though never enough to trigger a public notice.

There is also a difference of opinion regarding the risk posed by THM. City officials have said only long-term exposure to the chemical can cause risk.

Brian Smith, a federal EPA official, said studies have linked short-term exposure to THM with miscarriages. Studies also link long-term exposure with liver, kidney and central nervous system problems and increased cancer risk, Smith said.

"We're telling people to get informed and if they have concerns, to contact their doctor," Weil said.

THM forms when dissolved organic compounds, such as decomposing plant material or pesticides, react with the chlorine used during water treatment, according to the EPA.

Weil attributed the problem to the heavy rainfall this winter and spring, which put increased amounts of green waste into the water. This and improper treatment at the city's new water plant -- which just came online in December -- caused the problem, he said. He added that officials have since adjusted pH levels during treatment, which returned THM levels to a normal range.

American Canyon, like Napa, receives its water from the North Bay aqueduct, which pulls water from the Sacramento River Delta. But Napa also uses water from Lake Hennessey and may be able to dilute out high levels of THM or treat it out, as American Canyon is now doing, Weil said.

Napa officials were not available for comment.

In 2002, the EPA changed its risk assessment of THM, lowering the allowable amount of THM in drinking water from 100 parts per billion to 80 parts per billion. American Canyon averaged 95 parts per billion over the last year.

The highest spike occurred in March, when water samples contained THM at levels ranging from 140 to 155 parts per billion. A similar spike occurred in March of 2003, Weil said, but because THM levels in the previous quarter were low, residents were not notified.

The California Department of Health monitors THM levels and requires cities to notify their residents if the running yearly average exceeds EPA safety standards. Samples are taken quarterly.

Although American Canyon's samples have shown high THM levels in the past, low levels in preceding quarters always pulled the yearly average down to normal range, Weil said.

Weil said city officials learned about the elevated THM levels in late July, but waited to notify residents until they had received direction from the California Department of Health Services.

A notice to boil water was never issued because this is ineffective treatment for THM, Weil said. He added that Karen Smith, Napa County health officer, was notified two weeks ago, but has not responded. Smith did not return phone calls for this article.

American Canyon Mayor Cecil Shaver said he had no plans to change policy in notifying residents. "It wasn't explained to me as being that critical," he said.

Because of the high levels between March and June, Weil said that the yearly average may not be down by the next quarter, either. If so, American Canyon residents will receive another notice in a few months that the yearly average of THM in their water exceeds EPA safety guidelines, Weil said.

------

On the Net:

http://www.epa.gov/dclead/disinfection.htm

http://www.ehib.org

------

------

Our Water

Post by Guest »

So, I am sure most of you read the article the Register put out the other day about our water having coliform bacteria in it.
Here is the article as it was written. - I wonder if this is the cause to so many people having the "flu" lately...

American Canyon has been cited for violating the state's drinking water quality standards.

Coliform bacteria were found in the city's drinking water system May 9 and May 23, American Canyon and state officials said Thursday.

The water contamination did not pose a significant health hazard, though the presence of coliform bacteria can cause gastrointestinal problems, said Bruce Burton, district engineer for the California Department of Health Services, the state agency that cited American Canyon May 31. Coliform bacteria are commonly found in the environment, he said.

The water samples taken in May did not contain E. coli, Burton also said, referring to the fecal bacteria that can cause serious illnesses, even resulting in death.

The water samples that tested positive for coliform bacteria came from two locations along the city's 85-mile long water distribution system.

American Canyon Public Works Director Robert Weil said one water sample was taken May 9 near a business at 100 Napa Junction Road; the other was taken May 23 near a mobile home park at 260 American Canyon Road.

The American Mobile Home Park is home to 200 trailers, according to the city's public works department.

The contaminated water may have entered the system when the water mains were shut down because of construction in May, according to Weil and Steven Moore, the city's water systems manager.

Under state law, the city has until June 14 to issue public notices, according to the citation.

Burton, who has worked for the Department of Health Services for 20 years, could not recall the last time when the city was cited for violating the state's drinking water quality standards.

The city's water system is very good, Burton also said, adding he drinks the city's water when he is in American Canyon. (yeah right)

The city has had other water problems in the past. The Environmental Protection Agency reported finding elevated levels of Trihalomethane, a colorless, odorless chemical in the water system in 2005. Weil said in November that THM had returned to normal levels by November.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Studies on THMS and Stillbirth

Post by Paul Maguire »

Relation of Trihalomethane Concentrations in Public Water Supplies to Stillbirth and Birth Weight in Three Water Regions in England
Mireille B. Toledano,1 Mark J. Nieuwenhuijsen,1,2 Nicky Best,1 Heather Whitaker,1,3 Peter Hambly,1 Cornelis de Hoogh,1 John Fawell,4 Lars Jarup,1 and Paul Elliott1

1Small Area Health Statistics Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, and 2Department of Environmental Science and Technology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; 3Department of Statistics, Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom; 4Independent Consultant, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Abstract
We investigated the association between total trihalomethanes (TTHMs) and risk of stillbirth and low and very low birth weight in three water regions in England, 1992-1998 ; associations with individual trihalomethanes (THMs) were also examined. Modeled estimates of quarterly TTHM concentrations in water zones, categorized as low (<30>
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

try that again

Post by Paul Maguire »

. Our findings overall suggest a significant association of stillbirths with maternal residence in areas with high TTHM exposure. Further work is needed looking at cause-specific stillbirths and effects of other disinfection by-products and to help differentiate between alternative (noncausal) explanations and those that may derive from the water supply.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

more on water-informative link to whats going on

Post by Paul Maguire »

Here is a link on water and bacteria. When this bacteria they found in the water is tested for and located, it means other bacteria may also be in the water, but they test for this type, because it is quick and easy to detect.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/programs/coliform.htm
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Pregnancy and THM's

Post by Paul Maguire »

Miscarriages - "Women with high THM exposure in home tap water (drinking five or more glasses
per day of cold home tap water containing at least 75 micro gram (ug) per liter of THM) had an early
term miscarriage rate of 15.7%, compared with a rate of 9.5% among women with low THM exposure
(drinking less than 5 glasses per day of cold home tap water or drinking any amount of tap water
containing less than 75 ug per liter of THM - {or 75 parts ppb})."
It is worth mentioning that the current EPA Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for total
THMs is 80ug/l (or ppb).

American Canyon uses the EPA standard mentioned above.