Healing Our City

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Healing Our City

Post by Guest »

So much has transpired over the last couple weeks regarding the city's future and well being. I have many other residents voice their concern.

Without getting personal on any one person or group-let's use this forum for the purpose of positive, constuctive idea exchanging...

Any thoughts how we can fix things and begin moving forward?

Post by Guest »

My, My, how this forum has changed since everyone must sign in!!!!
What a nice idea....stop the nonsense. I don't think things will get better in our city until the newer residents start to speak. We don't need the fighting and heckling. Newer residents have as much right as anyone, and they accept the American Canyon before they moved here, or they wouldn't have moved here. All this fighting about one person.......hummm
Why would they fight over one person and blame two council members? Why not stand up for the elected officials and acknowledge they may have important information they cannot share because of maybe....a lawsuit by Mr. Joseph, if they speak? Why not blame Mr. Joseph for not coming forward with reasons why he resigned? He could stop all this if he wanted and cared about the city. This is how he operates....pitt one against the other. So very sad....... :(
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Ouch...

Post by MeadowsGuy »

Just saw the Eagle today.

Looks like more pain is coming before any healing can begin.

I just hope everything works out. Was WalMart worth the price of all this?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Time To Go?

Post by ac94503 »

I find it very sad that Lori has put herself in another questionable situation.
She has given so much time into the creation of American Canyon.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Filling Vacant Council Seat

Post by ac94503 »

The City Attorney spent a fair amount of time explaining to the Council their options for filling the vacant council seat. Does anyone have an opinion as to the direction you think the council should proceed?
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

I say allow us to ELECT our next councilmember. I am NOT in favor of allowing the next highest vote getter in. I overheard her and her granddaughter making some rude coments about Lori. Where I heard it and what I heard will not be disclosed. This is just MY personal opinion.
1momfor2
Resident
Resident

Post by 1momfor2 »

I think the city lost when Lori resigned. She has done alot for this city.
I also think more attention should be brought to the person who leaked out the information about Mark resigning from closed session. They broke their oath.
This city has alot on it's plate right now. Instead of being divided we should be united.
I too think we should take the open seat on the council to an election. It should not go to the person with the next highest votes.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Food For Thought!

Post by ac94503 »

I also agree that an election should take place. Who would be the candidates? Wouldn't it be ironic if Mr. Joseph decided to run for City Council? He could be a very popular candidate... I remember reading in a local newspaper that some individuals in town thought that Mr. Joseph should be "Mayor". Just food for thought!
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Finance Manager Needed In Am Can?

Post by ac94503 »

While searching for a new job and checking out the Napa Register today..
Am Can is looking for a "Finance Manager". Is that not the position Mr. Joseph held before agreeing to accept the "City Manager" position?
This town seems to be up-side down lately!
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Special Meeting Tonight...

Post by ac94503 »

Unless I had read the American Canyon Eagle today I would not have known there was a special session of the City Council Meeting tonight at 7:00 P.M. The Council voted to be included in the election, already scheduled for June, to fill the current vacancy on the City Council. I think this is a very good decision and thank Leon for breaking a tied vote to resolve this issue quickly. Good Luck to "Whoever" decides to run...I hope all of the candidates will use this website to keep us informed of their position on the many issues facing this city in the next several years. I also, hope that residents will "respect" anyone who decides to throw their hat into the ring!
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

I am very happy that the Council chose to take it to the June vote. I agree 100% with what Darrin Burr and Paulette Griffen said about there being so many more residents and we do deserve to have our voices heard. I can't believe that Joan got back up and asked that the previous votes need to count for something. They did. They spoke loud and clear - back in November of 04 -It's a new day here and I also believe as Paulette does, that the votes most likely will not repeat as they were in Nov o4.

Good Luck Canditates! I can't wait to get involved on someone's race for the seat! :D
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I would like to see some more young people involved with the city. Its time for some oldtimers, as valuable as their work once was, to move on. American Canyon is changing and we need more people to push it forward with new ideas and not live in the past, especially those who just moved in. I hope to see some new blood in the political arena this time around.
Rick Thein
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Rick Thein »

Part of the problem with finding younger people to run for City Council is that the amount of time that is required to be a council member is incredible. Most younger folks are working hard to pay mortgages, raise kids, save for college, etc. Most young families have both spouces working and some work multiple jobs. Throw in soccer, little league, school activities and you have some really busy people.
My stepmother sits on the City Council for the town of Clear Lake and I can tell you it is, in itself, a full time job. Clear Lake is a much smaller and poorer town than American Canyon, but is run much the same. Along with twice a month City Council meetings that can run 'till midnight, you have committees (that often meet during the day to accommodate staffers who work regular hours), focus groups, closed session meetings, LAFCO and district board meetings (water, waste, fire, police, and in Clear Lake redevelopment). And each of these groups provide you with reems of papers to read and study, and legal documents to read through. All this work and time for nearly no pay at all. Serving on a city council won't pay your rent. On my mothers council, one coucil member nearly lost their job because of the time they devoted to the city. Add to that the personal attacks and stress put on you by disenchanted citizens, and the fact that no one is perfect but everyone expects you to be. Who, in their right mind, would want this job?
Because of the size of our city, I would like to see our Council pay increased and a full time payed mayor elected to office. I would like to see one city council member added with the mayors vote breaking ties. And I would like to see disticting brought to town so each neighborhood would have a voice on the council representing their needs.
This town has much to be proud of, but it has a lot of growing up to do. Right now we are teenagers in a sea of grown comminittees. We have assets we are not developing, park space people are locked out of, and infighting thats detracting from getting real work done. This is a great town and someday I hope it will even be better. I, for one, am looking forward to this election.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Reply to Mr. Thein

Post by ac94503 »

Your post is one of the most common sense approaches I have seen on this website...Possibly, districting could eliminate "old vs new" without the drama? How do you see the breakdown of districts?
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Its not rocket science

Post by MeadowsGuy »

These are very good comments... I just don't agree with them but it shows out-of-the-box thinking.

Districting only creates more gridlock because one or two or three districts end up forming a "gang" that disenfranchises everyone else and you are back to where you started. Checkout what's happening in Cupertino between the "old" vs "new" and you begin to see it is a flawed model.

What we need is a VISION of American Canyon voted on BY THE PEOPLE. All the City Council has to do is follow it. We had it in 1996 before a fear-mongering group came along and took over... you are now living with the results.

Yes, being on Council does take time. It is the price you pay for the priviledge of setting the City's direction. My calculation is about 30-35 hours a month. If you can't handle it, don't run...

Unfortunately with the current group, the process has been arbitrary and very capricious... Walmart a good example. The City Manager bears most of the responsibility when this happens in ANY City. He has to be a mediator... not a lightening rod. I find it humorous that 94503 group tried to hijack another election. They don't get it.

I will listen to the vision of each candidate... and make the decision based on that.

Many of us are waiting for capitulation on the mistakes that have been made by this council.

You want to heal the City, start there.
amcannative
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by amcannative »

I read your post about change and the previous issues with the council. While this is symbolic, it would start at the Council and work down through youth sports, business, into the community. Contact me I am interested in what you have to say

I am suggesting a Code of Community Conduct.

Behave honestly and with integrity. Do what is right even if no one is looking!

Act with care and diligence.

When conducting or exchanging business treat everyone with respect and courtesy!

City Officials should recognize the honor that has been bestowed upon them by their appointment!

The community should recognize that serving your community as a Public Official is a huge undertaking for the person and their family.

If you have an issue, try and develop a cure.

We live in a diverse community that requires tolerance. Respect each others neighborhoods and needs. Don’t take advantage of another person’s tolerance!

Be part of the solution- work with Police and Public Safety Officials.

It is OK to lose that is how we improve.

Youth Sports are for Youth- Set an example at all times

Deep thoughts

Post by Guest »

I believe this is deep. I believe that most members of the council practice this already. I don't believe you do.

Let's talk----

Did you bother to get the facts before you wrote hateful and degrading letters to the press about Mayor Luporini and her husband?

Or Councilmember Coffey before the election?

You are known in the community to have a hot temper before gathering facts on something.

You also claimed to be a friend of Luporini who was visibly upset at your son's presentation of the pool renaming. You sought her advice if you should run for council, and yet you didn't come to her defense during her time of need like a friend would. Instead you slander her in private to the community believing you are gaining support. Guess again it's not working.

I want to hear about issues and how you are going to solve them. How all of you are going to solve them. So far most are dancing around them. Either learn the issues or step aside and quit waisting the voters time. They aren't going to be fooled.

When does the "Code of Conduct" begin? When it is convenient?