City Maintenance Yard and Flooding

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

City Maintenance Yard and Flooding

Post by Paul Maguire »

It never made sense to me that the city maintenance yard was at the end of AC Road on the shoreline. The shoreline and its views are a community asset. Yet, those in leadership positions years ago in this city thought it a great idea to shove a maintenance yard right in the view easement of what are now 700k's homes, and what will be a future shoreline park and walking trail.

But never was the lack of forsight of this decision more evident than the other day as the bay waters slapped waves against the building. The entire yard was flooded and the bay waters rolled right past the building.

The shoreline should be restored and this eyesore moved where it belongs, on green island road in the industrial area of town, not along the wetlands edge( a medium density residential area).

IF the city would stop selling property in secret with appraisals that are months old and out of date to insiders, then perhaps the city would have the money to relocated this facility to an appropriately zoned area where it belongs. (But thats a issue we can save for later- that property the city wishes to sell should be LISTED FOR SALE ON THE OPEN MARKET and NOT MAKE PRIVATE DEALS based on some appraisers opinion, especially one that is months and months old.)

ONce the yard is moved to a more appropriate location, the shoreline park and trail can be completed.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

I agree with Mr. Maguire; that building and lot ought to be elsewhere. The flooding I noticed was due to what appears to me a dip on the northern part of the property, where many items are stored. I can only imagine how badly the property values are for those whose hard earned view is blocked by that building and yard, even though it was there before the homes :?

If you ever need sandbags in the future, you should know that the yard has sandbags and sand; what you need to do is make them yourself, which is what I and dozens of citizens did Saturday morning as we watched our properties become enveloped by rising waters. This was a first for me; never been present for such a drainage backup until now; I shall always keep a supply of sand and sandbags to go with them should the front of my property flood again! :wink:

City Sewer Dept...

Post by Guest »

When I moved here in 1986 there was nothing but swamp land after Rio Grande. It probably made perfect sense to place the maintenance yard where it currently resides. When the developer of Wetlands Edge came to town that eyesore apparently didn't intrude on their sales of the waterfront. To complain after the fact really is the home buyers fault for not noticing that an existing public utility complex existed in their neighborhood...Or they may have a case against the developer....However, it was in plain site regardless that maybe it does belong up stream off of Green Island Rd.

Post by guest »

It didnt make sense then, and it makes less sense now. The placement of that facility was the shortsidedness and lack of vision of the leadership at the time. There was a failure to see that the shoreline was an asset. Pure and simple.

Shortsidedness...

Post by Guest »

You are absolutely right on the shortsighted issue...Never did I expect such development on the West Side of town... It was a swamp!!! So if it floods? Someone should have warned you...If the levies break? We will help...

Post by Guest »

I had a mudslide in my backyard on Saturday. I have an extremely steep slope. I called the AmCan PD and told them and they said they would have someone out to my home ASAP. I am still waiting. Maybe they weren't the right people to call but I didn't know who else.

Post by Guest »

You could have calledd the city number....6474360. The operator would have called the person on call to help with the flooding problem. The ansering persons are available 24 hours for emergencies.
:!:
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

This really would be better on Green Island Road, perhaps the building could become a recreational building, somewhere to birdwatch, have a coffee or perhaps it could be a watersports centre. Unless of course it is only near the water during flooding.