Behind the Times

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Amazed

Behind the Times

Post by Amazed »

It has always amazed me by how behind the times this city is...
For years older residents have closed their eyes to the juvenile problems, drug use and "if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude" that existed in this community...New residents have been sold a bill of goods as to what this community has to offer... Open your eyes...there is not very much happening in AC except new office buildings and plenty of "affordable apartments"? It took over 10 yrs to get a grocery store, a box of a Post Office, no real City Hall, a strip mall with a Library? (We use to be thrilled that the Book Mobile came once a week).
I heard all the same promises years ago...All the future plans for a real City...Same excuse..."Progress is Slow!" As an older resident, we don't listen anymore. Been there, done that!... Good luck to you new folks!
Speak up and be heard...Don't listen to any more delays...Make it Happen!

common thread

Post by guest »

I agree with you but you left one thing out. Council brings up new things, get from one place to another quickly and all they get is lip service from the city manager. Don't you watch the tele?

If we want change then we need a new city manager. Other cities are tired of the excuses yet our council allows it to happen. If you want to effect change then write to your local council members and make it happen. Because we elected them and he is just a hired hand.

Remember he is the one who is responsible for the LaVigne mess, and the acceptance of the subdivisions in poor condition. He is the one who isn't filling the positions we have vacant, see website. The buck stops there, but not really because apparently he likes to spend it on consultants that don't do thier job either.

Speak up city and be heard. Time for a change. Let's see how new leadership on that level helps the council effect change and give it a year before the election. If nothing happens then, well let's just say good bye to the incumbants and get some new people with guts to get the job done.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

My Personal Opinion

Post by VicRiv »

There are two approaches we can take to accomidodate the needs of the community.
One: take the Cindy Coffe approach, and create our own school district and erect temporay trailers to pacify all the complainers. or
Two: Work with the NVUSD and get the best, technologically advanced equipment and top notch facilites we deserve. Working with the district, which has a vested interest in providing overdue servcices to American Canyon and the County needs, is the best approach.
Working as ONE entity and providing the Theatre, swimming pool, NVCollege facility and Library will meet the current and future needs of ALL the citizens of AmCan and Napa County.
Careful planning and a working relationship with the rest of the county is the best approach to all out needs.
While I undertand that some people ar becoming impatient, I would prefer the an approach which is practical, cost efficient opposed to a reactionary, impulsive decision which does not meet all our needs.

As for the original poster, I also think the slow, methodical approach the council is taking serves all the needs of the entire citizenry of American Canyon. When the "squeaky wheels" put preasure on our city leaders to make quick decisions, then we ALL suffer. Haste makes Waste.

I would prefer a well thought out decision, opposed to a reactionary one which costs us more in the long run, because all the factors are not being adequately considered.

Get Real...

Post by Guest »

One member of this council has had 15 years to accomplish this Victor...

15 YEARS....

Luporini and Shaver? .... 8 years!! (and Colcleaser)

I think enough is enough.... the Cindy Coffey approach is best since the other "measured" approach doesn't seem to work with the old council. Or are you saying its time for a change??
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

For Guest

Post by VicRiv »

Let's start with some basics:
1) Why don't you identify yourself so we can have a real conversation.
2) What city do you live in? American Canyon has unergone a complete transformation in the last three years.
3) We do have some seasoned council members and why is it they receive NO credit for all the positive change taken place in town ONLY the negative.
4) What basic needs are not being addressed by the council or in the planning stages.

The reality is It's easy to say "let's build a high school". The question is how do you pay for it? That's the cold, hard truth.

The council is working together and making progress in the right direction..So let me ask YOU a question Again.. What basic needs are not being addressed by the council??
If you want to have a serious discussion contact me at 647-1792 or email me at vmr369@yahoo.com and we can have a converstion over a cup of coffee.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Change

Post by VicRiv »

I wanted to finish my posting to Guest..

Change is good, if it's for the better. Change, simply for change is a waste of resources and energy.

All the city commissions, council members and city employees work very hard to make this city so desirable. Senior programs, meals for wheels, your activities, expanding bus service, taxi script, highway improvements. The hiking, and biking trails are being worked on. A City center is in the planning stages. The delays on this project were from the initial DEVELOPER, not the City.

So my question again? What is so WRONG with American Canyon?? and what is this CHANGE you are looking for?

American Canyon over the last five years has seen phenomenal growth..there were compaints of too fast. The construction boom has slowed and efforts are being made to correct some of the infrastructure issues which needed addressing. This also required the hiring of some new capable people. It takes time to get up t o speed, realize the issues and propose solutions? All being worked on by capable staff.

So what is the change you would like to see?

I would strongly suggest you take a look in mirror and start with a CHANGE, there. I was doing some reading over the weekend and came across a profound statement..

"If you saw YOURSELF in others, what would YOU see?" Would you like what you saw? How would YOU react?

Think about it...

P.S. The offer of cup of java and a discussion is still open...

portables

Post by guest »

I guess I am not the only one who would support portables at the High School site until the school is built. I would love for my child to be closer to home and not sit on a bus for so long.

As for portables, every school has them due to poor planning maybe it's better to begin with them to see the demands needed from the school and build a school that won't be obsolete or full on opening day just a thought. It might be a nice change wouldn't you agree? After all there are many children attending private schools that will switch to A/C High when it is open and the District doesn't have a clue as to how many.

As for Coffey's planning with the High School, I heard she and Superintendent Glaser had a great planning session at one of the past meetings and that he was so impressed with her ideas about making the school self sufficient and having a school guarantee that no graduate will not be able to support themselves was great.

I have spoken with Coffey and her ideas about the school. I find them to be exceptional and am glad that when my elementary school children get to A/C High they will have a great school. That is if the District does what is asked of them and after all have they yet? Working with the District is a two way road and many of us have not seen the other side travel our way very often. I am not alone with this opinion.
Guest66

Just the facts

Post by Guest66 »

Hey Victor if you remember back to about 2 years ago you will remember that it was the city manager putting the breaks on the Town Center Project by delaying meetings and giving them the run-a-round. The council asked about it's status over and over again. It's all there buddy. Just like he does with everything he doesn't like haven't you noticed?
a/c resident

campaign promises

Post by a/c resident »

I remember Leon Garcia knocking on my door in October of 2002 and telling me about the out of control Gang Violence in American Canyon and how he was going to do something about it. He also promised a High School to be built on his watch. So much for those promises.

Didn't Luporini promise one this last year too? blah, blah, blah just a bunch of political rhetoric.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Delays Town Center

Post by VicRiv »

The delays with the Town Center project were caused beause the property owners ran out of money. The project manager Mr Asmuth, resigned from his position, after repeated delays by the owners, not the city.

After the Basalt factory and surrounding property was annexed into the city, the entire clan showed up at Lena's, which was owned by then Mayor Luporini. They gave her the "how bad does American Canyon want the Town Center talk" meaning how much $$ were we willing to spend.

She did the right thing and said NADA, it's your propery and project. Why would we commit city funds to help them turn a profit.

They have hired Aegis to work on the project, however, their thunder has been stolen because of the controversial NJ and OatHill projects. Timing is everything.

So these are the facts. The delays were not caused by AmCan Commissioners, Mayor OR City Council, but by the lack of funds from the property owners.

Thanks for listening..

Post by Guest »

She did the WRONG thing.

Its up to the PEOPLE to tell you how much we want to spend. Your answer is to give us WalMarts.

The Town Center was first cast as a redevelopment project. When Colcleaser took over, it died and the winery owner felt he wasn't going to get anywhere with this council.

FACT: For the project to be MEANINGFUL to American Canyon, it needs to be funded in part BY US. How are you going to get a City Hall if you dont pay for it??? How are you going to get a meeting hall? I guess a GYM is OK huh?

You dont want to go into debt??? What are you doing building thousands of homes in three years with prop 13 staring you down? They all create debt for City in 5 years!!! At least with redevelopment, you'd have something to SHOW for it !!

With the current mindset, it will be another 10 years before the TC gets going. I think we will be having our meetings in walmart near the McDonalds checkout. How fitting...
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

etc etc etc

Post by VicRiv »

Obviously the city would have been responsible for the construction of the city hall and other city amenities. The Jaegers wanted us to foot the entire bill, that wasn't how the CITY voted (by 87% approval). They wanted the amenities and since the developer was the main benefactor, they should pay the bill...that's hard to do when you don't have money.

And you are sadly mistaken regarding the attitude towards the town center..everyone was for it and voiced their opinion at the polls. Apparently you MISSED that particular election.
In the interim, another developer came into town and made things happen. If the choice of stores upsets you, don't solicit them.

The tax revenue from that project will generate the funds for the projects you described, but apparently money generated in part by a WMart isn't green enough for you.....But that's ONE store. Wait until the restaurants, shops and other stores are added in, it will also present opportunities for other enterprenurial types to have their own business.

Find something more productive to do with your energy than just complaining...

Post by Guest »

All the Jaeger's wanted was roads and connections... a minor price to pay in terms of revenue generation and City Control of tenancy. I saw their plan. It was very nice. The Jaegers are very wealthy people. They wanted the City to pay what was, in their view, an appropriate amount for the amenties we would enjoy. But Colcleaser and his minions had other ideas... mostly about protecting his own nursery.

BTW, the 1996 election was not about Redevelopment... that was the "come on". We had a City Managers with two internal problems, an administrative assistant and relations with the unions. One City Council member had it in for him. That election was about a bad City Manager and a sex scandal.

You need to get your facts straight. Our CM and staff do not know how to structure and negotiate these sort of contracts. The current set of developers have received VERY SWEET DEALS from you.

The complaining will continue until you folks figure out how to repair the damage you have created in this town. Overcrowding, no amenties, no town center, decreasing water pressure in the mains (fix the leak), no high school, no TRUST.

Post by Guest »

"The complaining will continue until you folks figure out how to repair the damage you have created in this town. Overcrowding, no amenties, no town center, decreasing water pressure in the mains (fix the leak), no high school, no TRUST."

If we did not have all of the above where would you all be living. On the day before Thanksgiving, give it a rest and get a life!

Post by Guest »

The "MOUTH" of City Hall speaks....