Hurricane Rita

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Katrina Warehouse

Post by Guest »

The Katrina Warehouse was a collection site for goods requested by Catholic Charities of Napa. They are no longer taking donations and are in the process of shipping goods to Katrina victims at this time. My understanding is that the Abbeville efforts are still taking place and I think Victor deserves a thank you for all of his efforts coordinating the collection of goods and funds from the Holy Family parish.

Post by Guest »

Well, since we are thanking people, I believe that Stacy Su and Valerie and Darren Burr deserve thanks for bringing Abbeville to American Canyon. They are the ones that spearheaded this whole event. It is wonderful that other organizations actually stepped up and started to help.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

RAPE OF OUR GENERAL FUND

Post by mattbb61 »

I am sick and tired of our city's general fund being used as an open ended ATM account. If those people in Abbeville are NOT using that ten thousand dollars for U-Haul rentals, then we should waste not ONE MORE CENT on them.

Enough of this feel good redistribution of wealth. Kick Abbeville out the door; they already have a parent. Misplaced compassion is a really sorry thing to behold.

Like Sam Kinnison said it best way back when to those who live in deserts. Get a U-Haul! We'll make one trip! Move to where the food is! In this case, try moving OUT of the KNOWN hurricane zone.

Also, get names to your posts. "Guest" is too convenient to hide behind.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps we should move out of an earthquake zone...because with the attitude from our friend above we won't be getting any help from the outside.
StacySu

Re: RAPE OF OUR GENERAL FUND

Post by StacySu »

mathewsbb61 wrote:I am sick and tired of our city's general fund being used as an open ended ATM account. If those people in Abbeville are NOT using that ten thousand dollars for U-Haul rentals, then we should waste not ONE MORE CENT on them.

Enough of this feel good redistribution of wealth. Kick Abbeville out the door; they already have a parent. Misplaced compassion is a really sorry thing to behold.
Your right mathew yes tell people to leave that area. So let me ask a few of questions:

1. This area provides 18% of the rice crops for the us and 22% of the sugar crops due to the climate. Are the conditions on your lands good enough that you can grow sugar cane and rice?
2. Large fishing ports provide shrimp, crabs and fish to the US how will you replace it?
3. Many people who work on the oil platforms live in these communities. Have you given up your car?

It is be simple minded when you don't have all the facts. But of course you have done your research and still know nothing.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

WAA WAA WAA

Post by mattbb61 »

I expected such response...

Lets talk about this city of Abbeville, Louisiana, that three of our city councilmen adopted without our vote:

It is historical fact that the city of Abbeville is already a federal basket case! Did you know that back in January of 2003. the city of Abbeville had been approved for a $1,531,507 Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)/State of Louisiana Public Assistance Grant for damages and losses caused by Hurricane Lili ? Did you know that Hurricane Lili damaged Abbeville's electrical distribution system, and more than 11,000 residents suffered power outages because of the storm?
Read it yourself! http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=2763

Lets go back in history: On August 10-12th in 1856: A (*gasp!*) Hurricane struck Isle Derniere, Last Island, a pleasure resort south- southwest of New Orleans. The highest points were under 5 feet of water. The resort hotel and surrounding gambling establishments were destroyed, over 200 people perished, and the island was left void of vegetation and split in half. Only one terrified cow survived on the Isle. Last Island is now only a haven for pelicans and other sea birds. The rain total at New Orleans reached 13.14". Every house in the town of Abbeville was leveled, including the St. Mary Magdalen Church. Rains from the storm flooded the Mermentau River and destroyed crops along the bottom lands. Area rice fields in Plaquemines parish were under several feet of salt water. Nearly all rice was lost. Orange trees were stripped of their fruit. The steamer Nautilus foundered. The lone survivor clung to a bale of cotton and washed ashore sometime later.
Read if for yourself! http://www.thecajuns.com/lahurricanes.htm

You want other numerous dates when Abbeville was really thrashed about by mother nature? Among them are hurricanes which occurred on and or around August 10-12th, 1856, September 1st, 1879, September 14th, 1882, October 16-19th, 1887, September 6-8th, 1893, October 1-2nd, , 1893, September 12th, 1897, September 20th, 1909, June 27th, 1957, September 7-8th, 1974, August 16th, 1985, and of course, just recently with Katrina. Tell me when ENOUGH is ENOUGH?
Read if for yourself! http://www.thecajuns.com/lahurricanes.htm

Unless the citizens of Abbeville rebuild above the flood level, and with materials sufficient to withstand the force of another Kartina, then they should move elsewhere. End of story. If there is EVER another theft of our local tax monies for this sort of feel good make a difference mushiness, then legal action SHOULD occur. If the three city councilmen had true leadership skills, they would have organized a fund drive, which I have no doubt would have raised even more money than they misappropriated from our coffers.

Citizens of Abbeville; gee, sorry you were flooded out AGAIN. Hope you make a GOOD decision NOW about the next hurricane.

Oh, and I HAVE insurance against an earthquake, thank you very much.
The Guest

To Matthew...

Post by The Guest »

Matthew...

You are not an ignorant man...in fact, you are quite intelligent...
Just my observation?
You seem to lack compassion in all of your posts.
stacysu

mathew

Post by stacysu »

you better read your earthquake insurance policy. You will find out you don't have the coverage you thought you do.

Everywhere in the country there is some natural disasters and man made. How many thousands of acres of land have burned up in California in the last 10 years. Gee, I wonder what would have happened if SF didn't rebuild after the 1905 earthquake. What about the flash floods throughout California and the lost homes and businesses?

You did not take the time to answer my questions. How are you going to replace the rice & sugar crops? How will you replace the fishing, shrimping crab and cattle industries? How are you going to get the oil from the gulf?

Mathew, I hope for your sake you never have a tragedy like your house burning down, and depending on where you live in American Canyon being flooded out or an earthquake. You should be thanking God you live in American Canyon where so many passionate caring people live. Because we will be here in your need.

Abbeville

Post by Guest »

Matthews is completely correct! If you keep building and rebuilding below sea level and you get flooded why should the rest of us pay for your stupidity? I believe in helping others and I was happy to donate to the relief effort. However, for the AmCan council to spend taxpayer money this way is irresponsible and inappropriate and I hope will cost them their council seats!!
guest66

donation

Post by guest66 »

I think this is one of the only admirable things this council has done in awhile. If this is a waste of taxpayers dollars, so is the tree of life in the council chambers that we stare at on camera that cost $5,000.00. So are many things staff spends money on. I personally don't want taxpayer dollars spent on a retirement party for somebody I didn't think really did his job but they are. I can go on and on. At least this is honest and given with a good heart. The other actions are questionable.

How much money has the city wasted with the water leaks that the taxpayers are paying? How much money will the sewer bills have to accumulate to pay for that fiasco? You go on and on about a gesture of good will and faith, but in reality you should really be looking at how your city manager and staff are wasting money daily due to incompetent actions. Take notice on which councilmembers look the other way. Then you will know who to vote for.
guest49

monetary fia$$sco

Post by guest49 »

Or when city council members refuse to be held accountable and submit receipts to show how they are spending time.
stacy su

mathew

Post by stacy su »

Mathew since you refuse to answer my questions, I will take it as a "I dunno!" If you email me your address I will drop off 70 cents off to your house. That would be your share of tax dollars that went to Abbeville. You could then take it to the next City Council meeting and donate it back to the City and tell the City Council how it could best be spent.

stacysu@comcast.net
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

I see that the reason for my opinions have been missed entirely, the reasons being irrelevant. That I do have much compassion is none of your business, and will not be elaborated on here; this entire foray into Abbeville has nothing in the least to do with “compassion.” It has everything to do with the mis-use of public funds. We can discuss the ideal of misplaced compassion later.

The good citizens of Abbeville have been through the ringer of so-called “Mother Nature” many times before. That is undisputed historical fact. They have been remunerated time and time and time again by private as well as public funds. There remains an obviously stark “disconnect” when this money is taken time and again, and NO upgrade nor improvement is made in either the strength or location of your flooded house and property. Then, lo and behold, it happens again; and again; and again…

I applaud Councilman Garcia for taking his time and going to the Gulf States to help out. That was his decision, and showed a huge amount of personal sacrifice and compassion. His actions should stand as an inspiration to all of the definition of a citizen who donated his OWN time and money to a worthy cause. He should be applauded. THAT is compassion. I likewise applaud the two Councilmen for voting NO on this feel good measure. What galls me is the cavalier way in which this majority voted, without any notification of which I heard of, nor input from we apparent “subjects” of their realm.

However, there are those citizens and families who, like myself, have to hold down TWO jobs to make ends meet; mortgage, college for our children, retirement funds, as well as the maintenance of the stagnant democrat created welfare state. Then the cost of raising those children.

If $10,000 is such a small amount of the general fund, as I hear SO many apologists say, then why hasn’t this money gone to fix the sidewalk on the South-East corner of Chaucer and Northrup, where one of our own citizens tripped and suffered major personal injuries? Has THAT been fixed? Doesn’t HER pain and suffering count for anything? You know what HAS been done about it? The area on either side of that part of the sidewalk was merely painted with reflective orange paint, ostensively to draw pedestrian attention to the danger. It has since faded away, with STILL no permanent resolution of the problem. Nice. That $10,000 which now apparently resides in Abbeville, unaccounted for to THIS tax paying American Canyon citizen, COULD have and SHOULD have been applied to THAT local issue, or one of any other issues which require funding in our OWN community.

Real leadership would have seen those on the city council, especially those two women I refuse to mention, to get off their own so-called compassionate keisters and raise the money themselves, vice taking our hard earned monies. You are elected representatives, and that general fund is NOT your own personal ATM account, your highnesses.

Instead of “Making a Difference” by spending someone else’s money, I challenge our elected Royal Trio to “Make an Improvement” and raise the funds themselves. If they ever DO, I will dentate myself. As for now, time to set up a table in front of Safeway to recoup those funds.

Update on Abbeville...

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know what is the latest on the status of goods collected or needed for Abbeville? Are you still taking donations?
stacysu

goods

Post by stacysu »

Yes we are still taking donations. Another flyer will be going out this week. Shipment will not take place until after thanksgiving. We are awaiting the rest of the funds to be sent to the VFCC in Abbeville to cover gasoline. Kudo's to Lisa Lindsey for all her hard efforts in helping us to secure a cheaper rate for gas.

If you would like to donate please contact darrin burr at 202-2666 or melissa dugdale at 643-3135.
stacy su

response to mathew

Post by stacy su »

[quote="mathewsbb61"] There remains an obviously stark “disconnect” when this money is taken time and again, and NO upgrade nor improvement is made in either the strength or location of your flooded house and property. Then, lo and behold, it happens again; and again; and again…

Obviously, you didn't do your homework. Because you would know that each time their has been a hurricane, builders find ways to build home to with stand the winds of hurricane. Just because there is a hurricane doesn't mean flooding. New Orleans flooded so bad because there was no one there there to run the pumps and FEMA did follow through with the grant money.

In Abbeville and throughout vermillion parish, each time there is a hurricane new requirements are put on home owners. (Just like California and retro-fitting homes to withstand earthquakes.) Because Hurricane Rita caused so much inland flooding all homes that were flooded up have to be lifted 14 feet in the air and of course meet all current hurricane guidelines.

Hurricane Lilli was on October 2002, FEMA finally agreed to assist the City, (not the citizens) to redo their electrical system on January 28, 2003, (four months after the hurricane so this would never happen again) and authorized a grant to cover 75% of the repairs.

"FEMA will provide $1,148,630 (75%) of total repair costs, and the remaining $382,877 (25%) will be covered by the state and the city."

You would also know that the City of Abbeville hired a nice company out of California to reconstruct their electrical system. Who ran with the 1.2 million Abbeville paid them. So Abbeville was back to square one with there electrical, thanks to that California Company.

The people need help now, not when FEMA can get off there butts and determine how the can help.

As for Councilmember Garcia he is a registered nurse and has been a member of the Red Cross for over 20 years. The Red Cross paid airfare and hotel to Southern California to answer phones for two weeks. I feel this is more mismanagement by the Red Cross not to utilize Mr. Garcia's talents as an RN. especially since there are still towns in which the Red Cross nor FEMA have shown up in. They Red Cross has taken in over 2.7 billion dollars for both Hurricane Rita and Katrina, why are they still MIA in so many areas..

The efforts for Abbeville are going directly to the people and there is no huge overhead. Volunteers are coming in from all over the country to help them rebuild. They need equipment, furniture small appliances, clothing and food. We are just asking people to donate items they no longer are using. The reponse so far from the community has been awesome.

As for the 10k you and I will never agree on it, so let's agree to disagree. Do to my limited time, I have other fish to fry. Like getting the asphalt repaved at Donaldson Way before another child or teacher falls and sustains a major injury, maybe you would like to meet at the school board meeting on wednesday. LOL

Abbeville

Post by Guest »

"New Orleans flooded so bad because there was no one there to run the pumps" Stacey, this is the first time I've heard this as a reason for flooding...The reports that I watched stated that the "levies" broke. Is this a new theory? I hope that all of the goods collected in this community make their way to Abbeville soon...
Stacy Su

flooding in New Orleans

Post by Stacy Su »

No this is not a new theory regarding new orleans. The workers were sent home to be with their families and when the levees broke there was noone to turn the pumps on. Most of the stations covered this.

Post by guest »

What it all comes down to, that you haven't said yet, Half Moon Bay, just outside San Francisco, also adopted Abbeville, guess what, it wasn't so hard for them to have a fundraiser and send 26,000 or so(no public funds) same hurry as our community was in and all that was asked was that it was to be fundraised. What made American Canyon have to give the money vrs the population by donation? Then you would've had the ones who wanted to donate and the others would not. Sounds like Half Moon Bay was able to fundraise fast enough. Why don't you fund raise and give the money back to the city for La Vigne assessment district, it's a disaster(not the great one) but what about the homeless, if they ask they should receive, right? They have a great need. NO VOTE NEEDED OF PUBLIC< JUST COUNCIL. There it is in a nut shell. You are not even at the council meetings to support the city who supports your causes. How about passing out a survey to see if anyone else needs our money as bad or worse and watch it all go, what makes your request more important than theirs? Oh, Oh , It's back to work we go to pay our bills and not have thrills so others can take from the city funds, no this is bigger than this little site, the public is mad and they're not going to put up with this kind of behavior. You got it for your cause-Kudos, but that's it, you only show up when you have a problem you could care less for anyone but you and your friends." Katrina The long road back " and we can't afford the ride.