How Can We Hide PG&E Substation?

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

How Can We Hide PG&E Substation?

Post by Guest »

Today while stopped at the light on 29 and AC, I thought what are they ever going to do to hide that ugly substation. So, if you have suggestions why not put them here. I would like to see a row of mature redwoods along the 29 corridor side of the substation. There isn't much that would fit along AC Road so I guess we're stuck with a fence.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

substation

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I would like to know too. Maybe they will put palm trees of very heights, and I understand the landscaping will be going in soon. Yippee!

Hey Issa? Maybe you could get a link going for the planning commission like you have for the police department. So they could answer these questions for us.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Hey Issa? Maybe you could get a link going for the planning commission like you have for the police department. So they could answer these questions for us.
I dunno if that would happen, they would have to show interest. The ACPD emailed me to start a forum and committed themselves to it.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
MPope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by MPope »

-Sounds like a good idea to me. FYI- the PG&E substation has been an ongoing topic of conversation at the last few Planning Commission meetings. As I understand it a contigency from the City Council is preparing to take a run at PG&E to discuss beautification options.

I registered on this site basically to be more available for community members to ask questions directly. Please let me know if there is any planning topic you would like to know more about. I'm still the "new guy" so if I don't know I will find out. The input of the public is vital and appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt Pope
Planning Commissioner
City of American Canyon 647-4336
A.C. citizen

Post by A.C. citizen »

We need to have high trees along 29 to hide the electric sub-station. Palms wont hide completely. So may be cypress, they can form a thick wall when fully grown. Palms could be interspersed with them. On american canyon rd side, smaller trees can be planted. Mid-City nursery owner is very knowledgeable about these. He would love to provide free consultation for this project. If city goes to PG&E with specific plan, it will be easier to get it passed by PG&E. Otherwise they will try to do the minimal possible work. This is the biggest sore point of A.C. and city needs to be aggressive in fixing it.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

High Trees

Post by mindingcitybiz »

High Trees maybe a safety issue. We do get pretty windy here, a fallen branch on the sub-station could possibly blow the whole station. Palm trees sustain highwinds better and when properly maintained there is less chances of debris falling from the Palm Tree. Of course I am not a horteaculturist. But survived a Hurricane in Florida once.

How about?

Post by Guest »

How about a giant windmill...We know we have that natural power!
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Original Planning Commission Knew How !!

Post by MeadowsGuy »

This is a power-grid issue. This site happens to be located within "tolerance" (this is an electrical term) to the overhead power lines. To fix its location, AMCAN needs to redevelop (YES THATS RIGHT CECIL SHAVER AND DON C.) redevelop another site and work out a land swap and a development agreement to share cost of relocation. The "new" site should be within AMCANs RUL (boundary) , near the same power lines and close to a connection grid that can be tapped...yes, there is one! I've actually spoke to the PG&E director for our district years ago and found all this out. There is also the option of burying the overhead lines but this is even more expensive.

PG&E owns the easement and thus the need for Redevelopment. It all comes down to whether or not you want to pay for it.

With the current mindset of our City Council, I doubt this will ever happen. From my perspective, this issue is critical if you are serious about being the GATEWAY to Napa's Wine Region... so now we have two earsores as our Gateway... this sub-station and Wal-Mart.

What's next?
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

having lived in here for just two years, I have found it very strange that all the power lines are not underground. In my innocence or stupidity I wondered if it had something to do with being in an earthquake zone?

substation

Post by guest »

Hey Meadows Guy I think from watching the council meetings it would probably be more like 3-2 to not move it. Those boys don't like change, however if the city manager hid it in the consent calendar it might get rubber stamped by them.

But I agree with your two eyesores but let's not forget the old barrel shop.

Post by Guest »

Um Linda,Just so you know ALL the old subdivisions built before you came here were all over ahead, If i'm correct power lines and other utilites started getting put under ground in the late 70's. All new projects as they come , you can see they are underground. Like all the new subdivisons in AM Cyn. Just watch the AM CYN road project,,,those lines are going to disappear :) Hope this enlightens you
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

Guest thank you for the info where I come from all the power lines are underground. That gives you another problem as the roads are always being dug up! There is just no pleasing lol.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

unlike to move

Post by Paul Maguire »

I have a project over in Cordelia and there are large power lines overhead right across the property. We approached PGE about putting those under ground, and it was a non starter. They said it is not even a possibility from a cost standpoint, and their own planning.

These are the same size towers that we are discussing here. That substation MAY be able to be relocated, but that is very tough to get done, and usually cost prohibitive.

I think we should focus on minimizing the impact and filtering the the area with landscaping, and fencing. The challenge is that you cannot put trees that grow into the power lines, but you can put up some vine like plants to filter it on lattace or other such structure within the guidelines of PGE.
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Its All About Finesse

Post by MeadowsGuy »

PG&E has a much larger "presence" in California than let's say Wal-Mart.

To get them to move in your direction, its about building relationships and understanding THEIR problems with energy delivery. They have just emerged from CH11 and are presently looking for right-of-way to build their "next" generation substations/grids. There is even discussions that involve more hydro and wind generation. (the windmill idea is not as funny as it seems). There is also an idea they are looking at to make commercial use of tidal flows... like in the river.

You need to think BIG and develop partnership and understanding with them ... that's how the substation can get moved. Have we ever sat down with Bob Nagata (or whomever is in charge of Distict 10) to talk these topics thru publicly?

Does this City Council even know how????