Pioneers of the New American Canyon

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
a/c resident

Post by a/c resident »

Let's start something new and refreshing for a change. How about a topic that let's people recognize other people who are very helpful and considerate within the community but who are NOT:

elected
appointed
sit on any service clubs ( where this is mandatory)
have lived here for 15 years or less.

This is for the purpose of recognition only. You may not agree with the choices but I ask that you don't reply in this thread with negative disagreements. I just want people to see the positive aspects of people living here that don't seek the spotlight.

Good Luck

I am also going to ask Issa to police this one to keep out negative comments as well as anybody not meeting the above criteria for this thread. Thanks- Issa
a/c resident

first acknowledgement

Post by a/c resident »

So don't get a big head--- but I will go first and nominate Issa.

Issa has donated his time and money to build a creative and unique forum for a/c residents to rant and rave.

He lives and works in San Diego and doesn't have any affiliations in the city so he fits the criteria beautifully.

Your next!!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Pioneers of American Canyon

Post by mindingcitybiz »

What a great idea. My neighbor who is under 30 is a great guy. About a year ago he rented out his house to an older couple. Because they are disabled he comes twice a month and does maintenance to their yard and while he is at it, he takes care of the neighbor next doors lawn. Her husband left for Iraq last year. So Kudo's to Louis your great.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Haha well thanks! Remember though, I lived in AmCan since 1985 but left around 2000 for college. I've always wanted to come back but unfortunately I am going to stay here in San Diego.

I would like to nominate Sindy Biederman from the American Canyon Troop Support. She started the group to send gifts overseas for our troops. A lot of the money to ship items she pays out of her own pocket. She is doing a wonderful thing and I hope more people will donate to her cause. The letters she gets from the troops shows how important her job is. When I wanted to do the troop support day it was Sindy who made it happen.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.

My choices:

Post by guest »

Coffey has done a bit to change the landscape of local politics and starting up her paper. She has "likeable" isses, same as Cori, but apparently not in this forum.

I think Cori has done a great job with all her voluntering efforts. While some of you here apparently don't agree, its cool.

I agree with Sindy- she's done great.

Roddrick is relatively new to town and he's done a wonderful job with the Rec Dept and his committment to AC Patriots. Can we clone him??

Post by Guest »

Pastor Curry....he is the backbone of the community. He is the heart and soul. He should be given a plaque at the next city council meeting. Pastor Curry you are what American Canyon stands for. So a couple of people may disagree with you, you keep up your good work and dedication to the residents of this fine city.
Itsy Bitsy

Post by Itsy Bitsy »

While it was nice of guest to nominate cindy coffey, cori badicher, pastor curry unfortunately they all are members of community groups.

Roddrick Sweeney if only we could clone him. Sindy is just a blessing to our troops.

I would like to nominate Kathleen Shamat. She is not a member of any community org. like the lions, kiwanas etc. Kathleen has a beautiful heart and when it comes to the children she is there. Soccer, baseball, or school. Kathleens devotion to raising up her five children to become product members is to be appaulded. Not everyone is willing to drop a good paying job to raise their kids. Kathleen Shamat cares about the community in which she lives and her family. Great job Kathleen for setting a good example.

Post by Guest »

Pastor Curry is part of a community group? then your talking about his church? Kathleen Shamet is in charge of a community group just as much as the other three you mentioned. But her community group is tearing this community apart with her misleadings and falsehoods regarding Walmart. Surely you can pick someone else.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I am also going to ask Issa to police this one to keep out negative comments
Stick with this above rule. No negative comments on this thread. If you dont agree with a selection then just say "I disagree" and name somebody else.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I agree with Itsy Bitsy.

Kathleen Shamat is a good women who does not belong to any of the local service groups. I am sorry that you cannot overlook your affiliations with Wal-Mart to see all the good she has done. But I commend her for standing up to the City Council requesting the baseball fields streets be repaved. I commend her for standing up for Kimberely Field. She is also involved with the children's school and is willing to do whatever she can to help people out.
a/c resident

time to censor

Post by a/c resident »

Hey Issa:

Remove the bad comments: This is for positive contributors with non-affiliations.

PLease remove Coffey ( she is in the Art Foundation)
PLease remove Cori ( she is in Kiwanis, Sorop, Lions, etc)
PLease remove Curry (he is president of the city's faith group)

shamet

Post by guest »

That puppet string thing is lame and shows you do not know Kathleen at all. She raised the money for the books for the middle school when nobody else could. She helped with the eighth grade trip and graduation when others failed in thier promised obligations.

She has pushed for bussing for all kids until American Canyon road is finished. She is known for her "pushing" at the school offices to get things done for the kids in our city.

She is organizing the PTO for Canyon Oaks. She gladly pushes for areas in need at the urgance of parents who don't have the time or may be "afraid to come forward." Like the little league field. Kathleen is not on the board although they have asked her many times, but she still is an advocate for a fixed field. She is always there when the school/ sport/ or anybody needs her.

In fact many working neighbors have relied on Kathleen both with and without her knowledge to watch thier kids when they are unable to get home. Not many people are willing to do that.

Also Kathleen's daughter supervised the summer camp this year and is by far the best director the city has ever had. Obviously she is like her mom. And as for Kathleen, she and Coffey are friends and neighbors who want to protect thier investments, Kathleen was one of the people instrumental in getting Coffey elected because of her beliefs. It would be ridiculous to expect that she would not continue to promote along with others, issues presented during the campaign. That is how things get done and changed.

There is still the school district, police department and of course better recreational facilities. I think Kathleen is right on target and clearly nobodys puppet.
KM

Bea

Post by KM »

I think that Bea Bockman is a asset to the community. She is a volunteer at ACMS, Donaldson Way. Is a faith leader in her church. Makes a great sandwich volunteering in the snack shack each time at the Little League. Faithfully distributes her hard earned money by using AmCan busineses primarily. Has donated large supplies and money to the schools and other organizations. Is a great neighbor. Always there for any person that needs a shoulder to cry on and has a wonderful sense of humor. Confident, humble
HArdworking, good parent and loving. She does all of this with no boasting!

Post by Guest »

Is she single??
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Re: time to censor

Post by Issa »

a/c resident wrote:Hey Issa:

Remove the bad comments: This is for positive contributors with non-affiliations.

PLease remove Coffey ( she is in the Art Foundation)
PLease remove Cori ( she is in Kiwanis, Sorop, Lions, etc)
PLease remove Curry (he is president of the city's faith group)
I am not going to limit the criteria. I will however not tolerate any negative comments on anyone's choice. This is the place to recognize members of the community with your reason why. If you dont agree with somebody just shut the hell up. ](*,)
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

New Pioneer

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Remeber that quote your parents would always say when you were a child? "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything don't say anything at all"

Thanks for the reminder Issa.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Pioneers

Post by mindingcitybiz »

You know I can't believe this website isn't completely filled out. Of the 56 people registered only a few have been nominated:

Rodrick Sweeney, Bea Bockman, Kathleen Shamat, Sindy Bederman, louis.

Come on I am sure there are more people out there. Melissa Dugdale, seems to be the go to girl when parents can't pick their kids up from donaldson way. She also worked in the classroom, was teachers helper, assistant coach for baseball, and this year is going to be a volunteer coach for soccer (even though it messed with her weekend camping schedules)

Come American Canyon, I know there are more good people out here doing great things in the community.

unlimited service

Post by guest »

Richard Arvin- formerly of the Girl Scouts gave countless hours helping the community and made a difference in the lives of many young ladies.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Can I nominate a group of people? I don't know all of their names, but I do know that they basically moved to the little league field for the season.
They would be the Board Members of our Little League.
Making sure the fields were mowed, watered and safe. The Canteen gals made sure we had great food.
These people do not get paid, it's all volunteer. They are just parents who allow our children to have fun and learn to play baseball.
Thank you to them...