The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Well you could say several things about American Canyon these days. But the one thing I want to share is why I love American Canyon.

1. The people- The community is so diverse- ethnically, ages, and financially. I think American Canyon is truly a slice of Americana. I believe most people are working hard to better their lives, families here.

2. Its beautiful here. With the exception of barking dogs it usually is pretty quite.

3. Location, Location, Location - I can be in Marin in 25 mins., Sacramento in 45 mins, San Francisco 45 mins. and hit my 1st winery in 20 minutes (excluding Greenfield Winery which is located right here in A/C).

4. A Sense of Community- It seems most people want to make this a better place to live. Improve on what we already have. For a small town we sure do have many parks and recreation activities( thanks to Roddrick Sweeney in the recs dept.). Many communities don't have a public swimming pool let alone one as nice as ours that can be used year around.

5. At the end of the fiscal year we still have a mil in the bank. Most Cities can't say that either.

I just wanted to give people something to ponder. Have pride in your community and home.

Post by Guest »

In one discussion your saying the city manager has to go. In the discussion above your saying how wonder AmCan is with a mil in the fund at the end of the fiscal year. The city manager has a lot to do with that. So make up your mind.

pondering your thoughts

Post by guest »

I would agree with CityBiz. Make no mistake though the million in the bank is a residual that was left over that the city didn't have enough time to spend. Or the council wouldn't let it be spent or there was a rebate. It has nothing to do with the city manager.

In fact you may wonder what projects or council requests were neglected in order to have this windfall. Remember there are always two sides to every story and then there is the truth.

Post by Guest »

Guest is absolutely correct. 1mil is from all the new houses fee, the development impact fees, occupancy transfer tax and Lake Street Ventures kicking in on their "park". I does not show by any means that the city is healthy... just the other way around... look at the roads, look at the neighborhoods and the bickering the residents are doing. The old Cty Council did NOTHING to bring people together.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The purpose of my topic was to talk about the things that are good in American Canyon. We have enough topics on moaning and begrudging.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

thank you mindingcitybusiness I agree!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Something Good

Post by mattbb61 »

Here's a few good traffic related items; the removal of the north exit from the Safeway gas station, and good riddens to that traffic clog! Also, the rerouting of Broadway with the addition of a light there, plus the impending widening of American Canyon Blvd east of Hwy 29. Little by little the city is getting better than it already is!
Member of the Loyal Opposition
Since 2008...

Post by Guest »

As anyone noticed that Canyon Market and its neighbor American Canyon Pizzeria have closed and are now empty. That market has been there as long as I can remember. Im not sure what was first to open in American Canyon. Canyon Market (aka, Lawsons, and before that Ashmans. sp?), or Broadway Market (aka, Dennys General Store). Anyhoo sad to see a landmark close.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

OUT OF BUSINESS

Post by mattbb61 »

I wasn't aware that landmark store had gone out of business; anyone know if the recent supreme court decision against property owners vis a vis "immenent domain" had anything to do with their closing?
Member of the Loyal Opposition
Since 2008...

Post by guest »

The owner was paid a very fair price. The property needs to be used to widen the road into the Vintage Ranch to accomodate the required number of lanes for the new safety station on that side of the freeway. Mr. Lawson will be returning with a new building but facing sideways.