Veteran's Memorial Ceremony

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Veteran's Memorial Ceremony

Post by Issa »

From ACTS:

I just wanted to let you all know, and to remind those who might already know, our American Canyon VFW Post 11099 will be holding a Veteran's Memorial Ceremony on Monday, May 30th, at 11:00 a.m. in front of the American Canyon Police Department (2185 Elliott Dr.). It is a real nice ceremony that is long on tradition, but only last about 20 to 30 minutes. Guest speakers besides the VFW will be our Mayor Cecil Shaver and Mr. Ed West. ACTS will be serving refreshments afterwards. A local high school student will be playing Taps on her trumpet. I hope to see you all there...have a great weekend. Sindy.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

MEMORIAL DAY OBSERVANCE

Post by mattbb61 »

Thanks for the reminder Issa!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

So how was it guys? Anybody out there in cyber world attend? Any crazy left wingers with signs? :roll:
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

"Present and Accounted for SIR!"

Post by mattbb61 »

Sure thing! I was present at the ceremony along with my family.

There was a very good write up about the event in the American Canyon Eagle newspaper, complete with some color photos on Page B3. (Too bad it couldn't have been on page A1, but what's one to do?).

Thanks to Mayor Cecil Shaver for his spot on comments. They deserve repeating here:
"The City Council has been asked to consider a resolution declaring the War in Iraq illegal. I will explain my view of why the City Council refused to consider such a resolution. I will start with a story.
There is a sheep rancher with a large flock of sheep. A mountain lion sneaks up on the flock and kills one of the sheep. The rancher goes to the Fish and Game office and gets a depredation permit. The rancher tracks down a mountain lion and shoots it. The next day, the rancher runs across another mountain lion and shoots it. The animal rights people scream that the rancher killed an innocent mountain lion, because only one could have been guilty of killing the sheep. However, their logic is flawed. You see, the rancher did not kill the mountain lions, because one had killed his sheep. He killed the mountain lions in order to save his sheep that were still alive. I want you to think about that last statement while I continue.
In 1991 the United States joined with other nations to drive Iraq out of Kuwait. After the Iraq army was driven back a cease-fire was declared, and Saddam Hussein signed a treaty. One part of the treaty required that UN inspectors be allowed to keep watch for any attempts by Iraq to build weapons of mass destruction. Saddam expelled the UN inspectors four or five years later. At that time we would have been justified in going back into Iraq by force, because of the breach of the treaty.
After the Al Qaeda attacks of September 11, 2001 and the subsequent fighting in Afghanistan, Saddam Hussein started making threatening noises. There were intelligence reports that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to obtain such weapons. This presented too great of a threat for the United States to ignore. In order to defend the people of the United States from another horrible attack like 9/11, our military forces with the aid of other nations took over Iraq. Saddam went into hiding and was later captured. The United States and the other nations are assisting the Iraqis in setting up a democratic form of government.
Now there are those that claim that we went into Iraq illegally, because no weapons of mass destruction have been found. Actually, according to a 60-minutes television program report, our troops have found a cache of metal boxes filled with cash – hundreds of millions of dollars. This may be the mother of all weapons of mass destruction. Think of what havoc that money could have caused.
I will conclude by stating that our military forces have not gone into Afghanistan and Iraq for vengeance, or to kill as many of them as they killed of us in 9/11, or to force our way of life upon the people of these countries. Our soldiers have gone into Afghanistan and Iraq to save us – the people of the United States who are still alive.
We have come here today to remember all of the soldiers of all of the wars who have defended the people of the United States. We owe our existence, our happiness, our fortunes, and our sense of security to these warriors. Their actions cannot be questioned, because they acted to save us. Self-defense is a right recognized by International Law
."

Amen Brother. A-MEN!

The person who requested this resolution of aid and comfort for our terrorist enemies was identified in an article in the June 2, 2005 issue of The Napa Valley Sentinel. He is described as a "new resident" of American Canyon. He is an active member of the Green Party. It appears his panties got into a twist concerning the phrasing of the resolution of general support for American troops that the American Canyon City Council passed for the Mayor to read on Memorial Day.” He was expressing his "astonishment" and "disgust" with said resolution. Don’t you love the speak of these kinds of leftist blame America first anti-Americans? I was astonished! I was disgusted" Oh come on, please! They have forgotten 9/11. They just hate the president and everything he does. Everything.

To answer your second question, no, I did not notice any standard Frisco Bay Area Bezerkeley type Anti-American, Pro-Palestinian terrorist sympathizers; no 60's pot head college administrators; no hippie drum circles either; all I saw were MY kind of people; American Patriots who could MAKE an hour out of their oh so busy free day off to show some honor and respect for those who served and died. If there WERE any of the aforementioned miscreants present, they had the good sense to keep to themselves.

This aside, the proceedings went well, even in spite of the off key bugle during the playing of taps.

God bless our troops. We will not forget you EVER.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Are you serious? This is awesome!!! I had no idea the city council told this guy to go to hell and shut up! How awesome is that! Whats next, is he gonna sue the city because the support our troops sign may be offensive to al queda sleeper cells that are visitng the Napa Valley?
neo94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by neo94503 »

wow you lern somthing every day hehehehe
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

memorial

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I was at the city council meeting. This guy is a moron. There is no posibility of reformating his brain. I think Luporini said it best. "How can you come in here after we just lost one of our own (ref. phillip west). No we will not let this man die in vain."

Your 3 minutes are up!

Post by Guest »

I don't think there was anyone at the meeting or at home that wasn't watching the 3 minute clock. I never appreciated that rule until this meeting.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

I attended the city meeting last Thursday, a member of the Green Party stood and spoke against the government and the war. That is his right! It is a pity that he decided not to applaud the fireman that was being installed that evening. It may be he did not do so because the fireman said an oath that told us he would protect the country and he mentioned the constitution of the United States. Being a free country the member of the Green Party had every right to remain silent ...perhaps in protest. I have to ask the question "Will he remain that quiet should his home be on fire or a family member needs to be rescued?" I just feel that this sort of protest is rather sad.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Grow up

Post by merryjester »

I did not notice any standard Frisco Bay Area Bezerkeley type Anti-American, Pro-Palestinian terrorist sympathizers; no 60's pot head college administrators; no hippie drum circles either; all I saw were MY kind of people
YOUR kind of people, I assume, being standard Jarhead, Redneck, Uneducated-type, Anti-Individual, Pro-Bullying warmongering persons?

...of course not. You meant that "your" kind of people are folks who love their country and respect their neighbors. You just fell into the common trap of name-calling, which ends up resulting in the exact opposite effect of what you're after (or SHOULD be after).

Please bear in mind - while we may have different points of view (this Green Party guy being included in the "we"), we're all still playing for the same team. If your intent is to win people over to your way of thinking, then calling them names won't work -- once you do that, you immediately turn folks off and steel their convictions against yours.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

memorial

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Well the Green Party guy sure does have a lot of time on his hands. Unfortunately I don't think there is any re-educating this man. He is too far into the conspiracy theory and you hurt my feelings by saying that. People have to understand loyalty to ones country and fellow man before he can understand the pain of losing one of our own. Whether you knew Phillip West or not he was fighting for our country. Fighting for our liberties in the armpit of the world. That makes him our son. Every fallen soldier is liking losing one star off our flag and we should mourn the loss of their life.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Shavers comments and the green party guy

Post by Paul Maguire »

Shaver is right on with this one. Lets just add that Sadam was a brutal dictator, with crimes against humanity, torture, rape, chemical weapons against his own people, mass graves, etc- I support the USA going after any of these suppressive leaders, including N Korea- Afganistans main source of income in herion plants, N Korea is selling weapons-

It has not been pretty, it was not easy to do, is was not the popular thing to do, BUT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO- we get lost here occasionally as to what we are all about here in the USA, but every once in a while we remember we are about Human Rights, we are about all men being created equal, we are about the pursuit of happiness, and individual freedoms, liberty-

No, its not a perfect world by any means, but at least the USA Actually DID something about it in this case.

As for the green party guy, I didnt agree with his comments, but I do agree with his right to ask, his right to sit during the pledge of allegiance, his right to protest. It is these type of people that we may in the majority disagree with alot of the time, but sometimes they really open the eyeballs and the minds by bringing a topic to the forefront- ie, global warming which is a growing concern
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

"...YOUR kind of people, I assume, being standard Jarhead, Redneck, Uneducated-type, Anti-Individual, Pro-Bullying warmongering persons..."

"Jarhead" refering to the United States Marine Corp? Wrong-0, I was never a member of, but have high respect for them as they do our dirty work at providing the middle east with a good enema; do you?

"Uneducated-type" Sorry, wrong again, as I have one of those "pieces of paper" on my wall, and someday may have a PhD (Piled High and Deep), who knows...

"Anti-Individual" Aw, doggone it, your batting zero here, as I am a borderline Libertarian on that issue.

"Pro-Bullying" Er - please explain that one in more detail please...

"Redneck" Why YES, that's what I DO get during the yearly Independence Day Parade. (How'd y'all know that? Tarnation, yuk yuk yuk!)

"War Mongering" well, YES INDEED, if it means MORE dead Islamofacist Terrorists. Yes Please! "Oh waiter, one Neutron for table Fallujia!".

You also had a profanity at the end of that sentence, but the site admin saw fit to rightly remove it. Nice job of representing yourself and your party.

of course not. You meant that "your" kind of people are folks who love their country and respect their neighbors. You just fell into the common trap of name-calling, which ends up resulting in the exact opposite effect of what you're after (or SHOULD be after).

oooh, right you are! Gee, I can really learn from you about name calling, cant I?

Please bear in mind - while we may have different points of view (this Green Party guy being included in the "we"), we're all still playing for the same team. If your intent is to win people over to your way of thinking, then calling them names won't work -- once you do that, you immediately turn folks off and steel their convictions against you.

"PLEASE??" Oh goodness I SHALL bear your words of wisom in mind, oh certainly! Especially after the insults. I have always valued the wisdom of not only the Green Party, but the Communist Party of The United States of America, as their beliefs strangely coincide on MANY points. Here's your apple teacher! For those who want to compare the five year plans, here are the links.

http://www.gp.org/platform.shtml
http://www.cpusa.org/article/archive/9/
basportsfan
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Grow up

Post by basportsfan »

How about you know what the term jarhead means before you mumble jumble it in a sentence! It is a term used for a United States Marine. I am a "jarhead" and a friend that I lost that happened to be.... Phillip West was a "jarhead." He fought for your right to speak. But no. You go out and give us a bad name. He gave his life in Fallujah, Iraq for something he felt he was doing right, so we can fight the war on SCUM... (terrorists is too nice of a word) there and not here on our homeland. They have the right to call that Green Party nut-job anything they want... freedom of speech... as do you. But once you degrade the very people (Phillip West and the other 180,000 U.S. Marines) fighting for your liberty, freedom and filthy mouth, then it's a different story.

???????????
YOUR kind of people, I assume, being standard Jarhead, Redneck, Uneducated-type, Anti-Individual, Pro-Bullying warmongering persons?
???????????
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Wow!

Post by merryjester »

Wow! Really stirred up the nest on that one, didn't I? Too bad "standard Frisco Bay Area Bezerkeley type Anti-American, Pro-Palestinian terrorist sympathizers, 60's pot head college administrators, and hippie drum circle participants" don't cry like babies when they get called names, or this board would light on fire.

Lighten up.

mayor's comment

Post by guest »

While I assume the council would probably have the same position with regards to not passing a resolution on the war, I think it is inappropriate for the Mayor to make that assumption without an agendized proposal that would create both public comment and discussion followed by a vote of the council before a public statement can be made on the council positions on this issue. Talk about your cowboy politics. "Hey Vern, get a rope and hang 'em he don't think like our kind". That's the problem with other guys, you know the ones we are fighting. The ones that lack democracy.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

The person who asked for the resolution wasnt even worth discussing about. To ask the council to waste their time with something so stupid as for the city to declare the iraq war illegal is absolutely crazy. People like that need to get their head examined in a serious manner. They mayor's speech was amazing and I thank him for standing up to these morons. To disagree with the war is one thing, which is absolutely fine if you do, but to ask the city to pass some resolution to condemn it crosses the line into mental hospital material. Since when does the council have to "consider" and have a public comment on everything, especially when it wasnt about the real issues but instead to spite others on political motivations. You really think he asked the council that for any other reason but a political one?

Post by Guest »

While I agree with your position, it is still erroneous to make a comment that the council agrees on an issue. That in itself could potentially infer a brown act violation. He needed to say, I don't support or I don't believe the council will support. Not something so declaritive as they will not support.