nobody is safe

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

nobody is safe

Post by guest »

Lately, it appears nobody is safe from being discussed on this forum...is that good or unproductive?
NapaDude
Informant
Informant

Post by NapaDude »

Well, let me talk about Guest for a minute.

Guest seems to have widely diverse opinions on this forum, often contradicting what Guest says previously. I have found that Guest is ready to spout off about anything, but not willing to have a semi-anonymous name attatched to Guest so that true discussion can take place.

Anonymity is one thing, but not to be able to converse properly because people don't want to register is silly. Issa will not distribute your e-mail. It is very simple to register, and, if you really care about issues, people can discuss it without the confusion of a million "Guests".
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I believe anything and everything should be discussed constructively on these forums without censorship. All issues are important to all of us and as long as they are talked about appropriately I will defend anyone who posts. If somebody does not like it then what exactly does that say about them, that they are the ones that are censoring the citizens. I understand in some ways the topics can be unproductive like you have said but I think those who view the forums should know what to expect from it, thats its open, almost anything goes, and its the opinion of the poster, its worth what you think the person posting's opinion is worth, just like any local editor's story. There is a wealth of information provided by posters, you can learn a lot, I know I have learned plenty, there is so much being disussed here that you wont learn about or know reading the local papers, but its up to you to filter through them using your own filter.

Maybe it would help if you look at it this way, lets say 100 people write an opinion to the local editor, how many would be published? Probably about 10 of them? 10% correct? 100 people post on these forums, how many opinions would be published? About 99% of all posts!

Or look at it this way, put every citizen of Ameican Canyon into a room and let them talk to each other. What would they be discussing? What would they say? They will all have their opinions. Some you would probably go "oh, they are just stupid, I am not going to listen to them, who cares what they say". Some you would probably go "yes, they say really good things, I will pay attention to them and listen". Some might be wearing their name tags on their shirts, some might not want anybody to know their names. This is what the forums are, and this is what this site is all about, its the online room for all of us! Where else could you find this room?

If I didnt think this way the site wouldnt be what it is today, its a difficult position for me to sit here with this view because it hurts me politically and financially. I am not getting rich from this site. I am not going to be president from this site. But I could really care less you know? Thats the trade off I have made for all of you and I hope you will please realize this also.

Whether good or bad everybody's opinion is worth posting, but not everybody's opinion is equal, some may be worth more to you, some may be meaningless, but nontheless they are worth something. Remember, people are more likely to post something negative because thats how human nature is, you talk about the bad, you take action when something goes wrong, and even though the good isnt brought up all the time, it is there!

Nobody safe

Post by Guest »

Issa, I felt your explanation was excellent. My concern (which I probably should have included in my first post) is ever since I read about the restraining order against a Montevino resident and his name was posted something feels wrong. The residents that were involved with this man know who he is and have taken the necessary steps to stop his activity. Is it really necessary for all of us to know who he is? Will this set up a precedent for other people to have their names revealed if someone has a problem in the future? I think this one is a very difficult call.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I removed the name from the original post, then that guest who posted, posted their name again. I will go and remove it right now. Again folks, if you have an issue with something on these forums please email me.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.