Gadwell Park

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
Mario

Gadwell Park

Post by Mario »

Does anybody knows why there're no restroom facilities at Gadwell Park? The town rents the small park, and the restroom is so important if you're having a b-b-q, or a small gathering. any plans to install portable ones?
HAHA

Re: Gadwell Park

Post by HAHA »

That's the way our City plans. They don't think of anything like that. They don't think that when they put in a what should be a nice park, they should put in restroom facilities as well. DUH
Feedback

Post by Feedback »

The parks are designed as part of the development as a value added amenity. There is also a city-wide formula that must be followed. For every 100 people= green space/parks.
While I was on Parks & Community Services-we reviewed and approved Gadwell, Veterans Memorial, Main Street, Shenadoah parks. Restrooms are added for 'community parks' and 'neighborhood' parks don't have restrooms because they are designed to be used by local residents who reside in close proximity. Main Street park has a portable restroom because of the picnic facility. The thought there was that long-term visitors would patronize the businesses across the street, so one wasn't included in the plan. A city council member proposed a very expensive, self-cleaning restroom which was 'flushed" due to cost. ha-ha

Restrooms options vary as well. The portable potty types or concrete models. Then safety and maintenance become an issue.

Hope this helps.
HAHA

Post by HAHA »

"Main Street park has a portable restroom because of the picnic facility."

Well, they all have picnic facilities. The thought behind "that city council members idea" was actually a good one. Other options in place of a very expensive one should have been pursued. Having no restrooms in a park, requires parents to pack up the kids ( sometimes after only having been there for 10 minutes) and go home. Some people travel across town to a better, more maintained park, so they drive. This doesn't help the environment... This doesn't help the gas issue either. I live in an area with no neighborhood park. I drive because I have two small children, who if they had to "go" would never make the walk back home. The City needs to reconsider this.
mariocaligiuri

Post by mariocaligiuri »

thanks to both for the replies. Now, I have to say that the principle of not building restroom facilities in "neighborhood parks, because they're intended for neighbors that live in close proximity" is not quite understandable. I live about 5 blocks away, it would be very impractical to have a picnic there and then have to drive or walk back home every time somebody needs a bathroom. Also, the city charges for reservations to this nice little park, so part of this money should go to building and maintaning restrooms. I also heard that Gadwell Park residents didn't like the "look" of a restroom in the park. While understandable, the park is maintaned by the taxpayers of all of American Canyon, not just the Gadwell residents. Finally, Gadwell is I think the only little park in town that has covered picnic tables and b-b-q's, which is an added bonus to have in the hot summer months. Just my two cents
slvrnblk
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by slvrnblk »

I live by Gadwall park and would not want a prta potty there 24-7. Now if they had the self cleaning bathrooms tucked in the corner that maybe you had to pay a quarter or .50 even $1.00 to operate I would be all for that. Yeah they might be expensive but by having to pay to use you'd avoid having people going in there just to vandalize and destroying city property. I'm lucky enough to be a block away but when we were potty training my son racing home when he needed to go sucked!!