Cluster mailboxes

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
NewAmCanRes

Cluster mailboxes

Post by NewAmCanRes »

I am moving to my new home in the Waterton neighberhood in AC at the end of this month. At first the builder, Richmond American told us that our mailboxes would be individual boxes shared w/a neghbor. Now we are told that the USPS is requiring to put in cluster boxes which I could live with. The part that I cannot live with is that the builder placed the box right on my front yard. To start with, my yard as most are nowadays, tiny. I have a fire hydrant and now the cluster mailbox right in front. Is there anything that I can do to get this moved?
amcan redneck

Post by amcan redneck »

try backing into it....if that doesnt work, get a chain and yank it out!!!
NewAmCanRes

Ummm thanks

Post by NewAmCanRes »

Thanks for the tip redneck I really appreciate that stup....I mean useful bit of information.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

Cluster boxes

Post by napaseller »

i was wondering why owners would approve having those "obstructions" on their front lawns. as i drive around looking at the new development, i have noted several residents with the same problem. i believe if it were me, i would take issue with the developer unless they made you aware of the combination of utility boxes on your front lawn.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE FRIENDS OF AMERICAN CANYON LIBRARY NOW..
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

CLUSTER BOXES

Post by mattbb61 »

I too must retrieve my mail from one of those cluster mailboxes, which I loath. I am researching how to get the option of having the US Mail delivered to one's door, just like in the good old days of my childhood. I consider cluster mailboxes just one more step toward "urbanization" which I also loath. :twisted:

Now, if it is the FIREHYDRANT you want moved, I have a very good lead on that... contact either John Kerry or his current wife, Teresa. I understand that they recently had one moved from the front of one of their mansions. :P
NewAmCanRes

Post by NewAmCanRes »

I think I have just a tad less pull than them!! :lol:
NewAmCanRes

Post by NewAmCanRes »

When I initially purchased the home we were told that dual mailboxes were going in-shared between 2 neighbors. They actually put those in the initial releases. Then I drive by my lot one day and there is this huge gray box in my front yard. I called up the builder and they said that the USPS stopped delivering mail and would not continue until they agreed to put the clusters in. I tried to get them to move it to another location not as visible ie. on somebody's side yard etc. but they told me that USPS decides where to place them. They said that since it was already there they cannot move it. How am I supposed to know that it is going to be there before they place it??? :evil: I am calling the postmaster today and see where I get w/this.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

NewAmCanResident, you FIGHT IT! :D Make your hard earned tax dollars deliver your mail TO your home, not that idiotic cluster box! Also, if you have ANYTHING in writing, get it together, just in case... Also, you may want to walk your neighborhood starting with your neighbor, and get a force of people together. This issue can even be brought up before the AmCan City Council if you are so inclined. If there is ANY help I can provide, please let me know! You know, the less difficult the USPS makes their union jobs (which it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to be fired from for poor workmanship or even incompetence), the more the AFL-CIO union whines for yet another pay increase! Think about that...! Through these cluster boxes, they are making money off of OUR inconvenience! :twisted:
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

We, too, must deal with those unattractive "cluster" mailboxes.

As a matter of fact, when one of my kids was outside playing tag, he sliced/scraped the side of his ribs on the sharp corner of the box. It was a nasty injury that left a scar about the size of a quarter.

Even before this happened, I always thought the design was an unsafe one because of the sharp corners and their placement in the middle of the sidewalk.

Even if the USPS can demand that these be used in the new developments, certainly more thought and consideration can be given to their design, appearance, & placement. Unfortunately, the Vallejo Postmaster has jurisdiction over Am Can and usually treats us like second class citizens.
NewAmCanRes

Post by NewAmCanRes »

Just talked to the postmaster today. He actually gave me permission to move this thing on one condition. That it be moved to my neighbors side yard where it will not be visible and that I get writen permission from him/her. I close escrow on 11/05 and the neighbor on 11/30. Now I know it's a long shot, but I feel it's less of a sacrifice for it to be next to a fence where you can't see it than in the middle of someone's front yard. Wish me luck. I am fighting in baby steps, first get it moved then maybe get organized to get rid of these things.