Concerned about the Ice Cream Man at School?

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
Concerned Parent

Concerned about the Ice Cream Man at School?

Post by Concerned Parent »

Hello all, I was just wondering who else would like to start the wheels rolling in an attempt to remove the multiple ice cream trucks from the parking lot outside Donaldson Way School?
The school sent home a notice a few weeks ago asking us parents to be extra careful dropping off and picking up the kids. That there was a lot of traffic, etc...
Well I think that the pooling of children would deminish greatly and traffic would flow easier AND the crossing guards job would be a lot easier. Have you seen her? She looks like she's going out of her mind after school when the kids charge the trucks and then dispurse in groups all over the place.
Without the Ice Cream Man parked, the children may actually go to where they are to go and not just cause the traffic to be as bad as it is...
What can we do, do we go to the school even tho it isn't school property or is this a City thing, where I should bring it up at the next Council Meeting? Any ideas?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

They need permits to operate. Most of them probably dont have them. There was a guy that always came in our neighborhood who we got to know very well and he always told us how most of them take his business and dont even have permits. Whether its true or not, I cant say exactly.

Theres also a limit to how far they can park within a school.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.

Post by Guest »

Trust me, if they are operating in American canyon, the ice cream trucks have a permit. I know the Police have been receiving A LOT of complaints about them, so they check their permits all the time....

Now about the trucks near the school... Best resource here is the school. A little know fact is the children are still under the school's authority until they reach their first destinatiokn after school releases them, which may be day care or home.... During school hours, the ice cream guys could be asked to move along, if they are creating a hazard, in the eyes of the school, to the children walking to and from school ot bus zones, or passenger pick up areas.