The Neighborhoods of A.C.?

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.

The Neighborhoods of A.C.?

Post by Guest »

Hi, My husband and I have been trying to get to know A.C. and are very interested in moving here! We've been looking at lots of homes for sale in A.C., but have no idea which nieghborhoods we should be looking at. Real estate agents just say "buy it!" We would love to consider the opinions of the locals, if you're interested in sharing them with us. You can answer any of our questions below or simply enter your own comments. We want to know everything!

We're looking in the LaVigne development - Is that too close to Vallejo?
Is either side of 29 safer/better/prettier/more desirable?
We also like the area near the community center. Any comments? Suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

We have lived in Am Can in one of the "newer areas" for several years. I think the west side of Hwy 29 but north of American Canyon Road is preferable to the east side. The further west you go (closer to Huntington Way or Wetlands Edge Road) the better. This area is further removed from traffic corridors and the commercial hubs yet very close to the community center. It is also very close to the Safeway Shopping Center & Canyon Plaza. You also are not bordered by the less desirable areas of Vallejo.

This part of Am Can would be Victoria Faire and a newer development that runs along the western edge/area of town.

Living in Am Can offers many advantages, and it still has not maxed out or developed it's full potential. It is centrally located---one hour or less to job centers, recreation, entertainment venues, or other destination points.

It is very diverse for a city this size. People by and large are very accepting and tolerant. However, there is some divide between the newer & older residents that I think largely reflects on socioeconomic issues. There is also some conflict related to lifestyle differences due to the varied demographic of the people that live here.

Although being near Vallejo has almost always been perceived as a negative, I do see greater interest and energy in revitalization and gentrification projects for that city. That city has a great deal of potential---hopefully their city officials will make the right choices. There is far more pressure from the many middle class and more affluent residents who have moved there in recent years.

We were not always sure if we had made the right choice moving here, but we are now happy that we did. Short of having the finances that would allow us to build our dream house in our dream location (almost impossible for most people in the Bay Area) there are many more advantages to living here than not.

Thanks, Yardley!

Post by Guest »

...for the articulate reply. It sure does help to have your local perspective.

Much appreciated!
1momfor2
Resident
Resident

life in A.C.

Post by 1momfor2 »

The city of American Canyon was a small city just barely a city when I arrived. They were no new housing developments, just old ones.
This is a great place to live we are just having growing pains, so do we all.
It is a community based town I think. It is what you make it. For most this is just a bedroom town.(new residents) For the old some want the change, others don't.
If we weren't changing you wouldn't be asking these questions.
It is a good place to raise a family, good schools. It is safe compared to any other city. Police Officers do not usually know your name anymore like the old days but ok it's not Mayberry RFD.
It's "American Canyon Gateway to Napa"
I have not wished I moved anywhere else but here.
maygoddess

Post by maygoddess »

We moved over into the Chesapeake development(across from La Vigne) 2 years ago from Petaluma and we like it here. We got in on the last few available lots and when the prices were still in the low 300's. We love the appreciation in our homes since then. We could probably sell for mid 500's by now or higher!

We considered buying into La Vigne when there were still empty lots, but price was better for what we got here. I do walk around the La Vigne neighborhood because it is bigger and has some walking paths. I don't find the proximity to Vallejo a problem so far. I like that we are just down the road from Hwy 80 and shopping over in Vallejo and still only 10 miles over to downtown Napa..and also convenient to get over to Marin and Sonoma as well as just a 30+ mile drive to SF.

Living in Napa is great...very nice people..American Canyon is growing and we are so centrally located that even without services directly in town..we are so close in every direction to services and activities!

We don't regret our move at all!
napaseller
Historian
Historian

Re: 3 year resident

Post by napaseller »

when we retired in sunnyvale, we were living in a manufactured home park. 99 homes and many rules; some we objected to at the time; however after moving to american canyon, i wish for some of those rules. don't get me wrong, we very much enjoy living in american canyon. the diversity, the "home-town" atmosphere, and the weather. plus, we live close enough to our children and grandchildren and friends that is conducive to frequent visiting.
when we moved in the rancho del mar area, there were no new homes along the wetlands or north of us in the continuation of rio grande street which makes for more traffic in our area, but everyone seems to be cognizant of the school and park which is nearby. it is so close, in fact, that during the 4th of july fireworks, we have a front seat and our friends come to visit so they can watch.
glad you're thinking of moving to american canyon. it's a great place to live and i look forward to many more years here.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

Jenny,

I was just wondering whether you & your husband found a house, and if so, in what general neighborhood or development? Assuming you have bought or are still planning to buy in Am Can, what are the reasons you decided on any particular area? Good Luck!