American Canyon Online: Redo

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

American Canyon Online: Redo

Post by Issa »

For those who are not registered:

An open letter to the people of American Canyon,

Throughout the end of the year and through the next year I plan to redo the entire website from scratch to upgrade certain software and components. The website layout will completely change, as well as these forums. It will be year 7 the site has been open on December 14th and I want us all to keep up the good work in continuing to create the worlds largest online community for American Canyon, a place where each of us can have a voice. I have been happy with where the site has been going and I want us to keep it up. Unfortunately there are times when I just don’t have the time to update the website, there is so much I really want to do but just cant, and I know it sucks when you visit the news page to see it hasn’t been updated for over two weeks - at 25 life has taken priority: I've gotten a new job, getting Microsoft Certified, been working on my Masters Degree in Business Administration focusing on Online Businesses, and plan to start a family soon.

Wow, can you believe I started this site when I was 18! But I'm still here and don’t plan to leave anytime soon.

I'll be working on a few layout designs by the end of the year and want the community to choose the one they like best, there will be a vote and the best one will be used. We're going to make this together. This is probably the third huge redesign I have ever made.

So I need a few things from everyone. First of all I want to know what you like about our site, what do you hate, what do you wish we had? All opinions are valid even if you hate the site that’s ok.

Some features that will be included in American Canyon Online version 3.0:

1) "My AmCan": I started this a while back and nobody really used it so I took it down but it will be one of the main features of the new website. It will be completely redone. My AmCan is Your own personal space in American Canyon, post pictures, blog, submit news article and post events, even get a free email address!

2) Integrated forums: I want to combine the forums into the site; right now, they are two separate areas with two distinct user names and registration procedures, which has been confusing for some. They will be combined.

3) Business ventures: One thing I have really wanted to provide to the community is a way for small businesses, including home businesses, to promote themselves. American Canyon has plenty of new entrepreneurs and advertising around town isn’t cheap for the little guy. We're going to change that by providing webspace and the ability to promote to thousands of American Canyon residents throughout the website for a very low cost.

4) Continuing the promote community: What makes this site so unique is the community is provides. Where else can any American Canyon resident post their thoughts and feelings uncensored? From new citizens to newspaper editors to city council members this site is a valuable asset to the community and I want all of us to make it even better! We are a powerful voice throughout the community, don’t let anybody else tell you otherwise.

Now that I've gotten your attention I need some feedback, I need to know what’s on your mind, what you like what you hate, what you want to see? Is there anything you are wanting from the site? Is there anything that can be done better? I want everybody to respond with their thoughts:

1) How many times a week do you visit this site?
2) How did you hear about the site?
3) What do you like most?
4) What do you hate most?
5) What features or additions would you love to see?
6) If you own a business, what would you want from the site?
7) As a citizen what do you want from the site?

Consider this an open discussion about the future of the website and where we want it heading. So what are you waiting for, let your voice be heard!
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Love Your Site

New Site

Post by Love Your Site »

Issa,

I really appreciate your site. I do not have alot of experience posting on other sites so my comments may be out dated.

Please set it up for the easiest access. I will use an example. I bought a new alarm clock. It has all the bells and whistles...I just want an alarm clock!

My suggestion...make it simple so even very "unexperienced website posters" can navigate their way to a very informative and fun site.

Thanks and good luck!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

My suggestion...make it simple so even very "unexperienced website posters" can navigate their way to a very informative and fun site.
In what cases would you say navigation is not easy? What are some ways I could make it easier for you lets say? Are there things you are trying to find and you cant find them at all?
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Love Your Site

User Friendly

Post by Love Your Site »

Issa, I find your current site very easy to navigate.
Victor

Redo?

Post by Victor »

The format is fine. Obviously everyone has their opinions and strong ones at that. But that is the basis of the forum to speak one's mind and offer their opinions.

Suggestions:
- Civic Group Section. Then have a representative from each group aware of the site and update the calendar to increase the communication in town.
-Sub-Division Section. This would make some posts relevant to specific areas in town ie: Standard Pacific, Rancho Del Mar, Wetlands Area etc
-Youth, Senior and Married Couple Sections: this would help each group find others (in their same age-group) who want to do things and offer a place for them to communicate. I have kicked the idea around of having a supper club for other married couples, once a month.

Keep up the good work. You offer a very useful forum and we know you can't control some of the zaniness at times.. :)