Birds in the Roof?

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
BlueJay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Birds in the Roof?

Post by BlueJay »

Does anyone out there have the same problem we do with birds living in our roof?

We live in the LaVigne development - the rooftops are made of tile so you can't climb/walk on the roof, but when the homes were built they included these little circular holes around the edges of the roof so that birds can can in & out, I guess?

Anyway, I'm not too sure about why those little holes are there, but a family of pigeons has taken up residence in our roof. We can hear them in there cooing, and there is bird-poop around the perimeter of our home at all times. As luck would have it, they seem to prefer the front of the house, so there's constant splatteirng in our driveway.

Does anyone have any ideas for/experience with remedying this situation or chasing those birds away?

Or is it just our lucky house that has seems to be an attractive address for a family pigeons?

Any help/ideas would be sincerely appreciated!

Birds

Post by Guest »

I grew up in a home with a similar roof as you describe and I remember my father putting chicken wire to block the holes. You may want to try it.
homeowner

Post by homeowner »

The holes are to ventilate the home and attic. Usually, they are covered with a metal screen on the inside. Some contractors don't install them because they forget, they get lazy, or they want to save a few dollars. But they are suppose to have screens on the holes

birds in the attic

Post by guest »

I would contact your builder or a roofing company. The homes in the other developments seem to be done properly with coverings for the openings.
By not having the protection you will get birds, rodents and other unwanted visitors.
la vigne resident

pigeons

Post by la vigne resident »

i also have the same problem like you. the pigeons actually built their own dirt house underneath the roof top on the side of my house. i wonder if the developer disturbed their habitat & unfortunately, our homes took over their own environment.
town idiot

birds on roofs

Post by town idiot »

Some of you may know this already but pigeon poo is high in amonia, when there is a lot of poo on your roof (tiles or other) the poo (amonia)acualy WILL start to decay and eat through the roofing paper that protects your homes from water (ie roof leaks) it is imperative that you as homeowners do whatever you can to prevent and clean the poo off the roofs on a regular basis. If your in a house 10 years new you are going to want to make sure you do not break any tiles while cleaning - your builder will not warrant broken roof tiles, which means you break them you buy them.

just a bit of advice.........

Town Idiot...

Post by Guest »

Oh, sorry thought that was a subject...Didn't realize it was your username.
Then, I would have to say "Best" name used so far... :lol: