Internet Connectivity in AC

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
Scott J. Miles

Internet Connectivity in AC

Post by Scott J. Miles »

Hi,

I'm curious if anybody can fill me in on the available internet connectivity in the AC area. Are DSLs available? How about cable modems?

Thanks,
Scott
abeller

Post by abeller »

i have contacted plenty of DSL providers and have gotten the same answer from them: i am too far away from any CO (central office) to get DSL. it seems anything over 18,000 feet is too far. i also heard that AmCan is on the books with PacBell for some sort of software update in the routers so we can get DSL...but it wont be done for TWO YEARS!!! then they turn around and say since the economy has taken a downturn, it will be FOUR YEARS before they do this software update!!!

keep in mind that i live in the Montevino area, and the streets are lined with the latest and greatest wires and such. i went so far as to get my home wired with CAT5 wires and a central command center hoping that DSL or cable would be available when we moved in. it has been 18 months and i havent heard so much as a rumor about DSL here.

it seems the only route for us Montevino residents is the wireless internet. that big ugly dish attached to the roof is the only way to get internet access beyond 32k baud.

COME ON AMERICAN CANYON!! can we get some sort of political influence about high speed internet access? can we make it clear that if PacBell does this software update that there will be MORE people paying for high speed internet, therefore generating MORE income for them and paying for this "software update"?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

There has been numerous articles about how most of the new homes will be internet ready. If you have a new home then you should have several options as some developers are installing fiber optic cables in these homes. As far as I know, cable modems should be available almost everywhere, try checking out your cable company for info. I'm not sure if DSL is available throughout AmCan yet. Also keep in mind most of the homes, at least the ones that have been made 10 years or more ago, have analog telephones, which means they cant go beyond 28.8 baud if your using dial up.

Hope this helps.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

EARTHLINK

Post by mattbb61 »

I freed myself from the shackles of AOL Dial up a few months ago, and have never looked back. I now have Earthlink DSL, and it has worked very well.... SO FAR... :D
I would whole heartedly recommend them IF they had not outsourced their IT department support staff to Canada and India. :evil:
However, if this does not bother you, and you really NEED DSL, go with Earthlink.
Realjo

High Speed Internet

Post by Realjo »

I freed myself from the shackles of AOL Dial up a few months ago, and have never looked back. I now have Earthlink DSL, and it has worked very well.... SO FAR...
I would whole heartedly recommend them IF they had not outsourced their IT department support staff to Canada and India.
However, if this does not bother you, and you really NEED DSL, go with Earthlink.

Ok I know some homes in American Canyon on Flosden Road are able to get DSL, Since One of my friend got it there, in new homes.

I live in Entrada area, new homes, and so up set about not having any way of getting high speed internet. Dish is ugly and expensive.

I bought a new laptop with 802.11g, I searched for wireless signals and got some signal from some pacificBlue wireless internet, but signal is low so not always I get it but I will try that if that works and is reasonable I will give it a try.

I also signed for this petition, If you did not yet please do it, may be it will help.

http://www.petitiononline.com/AmCanDSL/petition.html
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I know some people who can get Pacific Bell DSL in some of the old houses so I guess they finally did something about it.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

SBC DSL Connection Speed or lack thereof!

Post by Yardley »

We have SBC DSL and even pay an additional $10.00 a month for what is supposed to be a faster level of speed than the basic service. Unfortunately, over half the time the connection speed approaches that of dial-up service. Very frustrating :?

It is useless to call SBC customer service because they have no answers or suggestions beyond reciting from their Q&A manual. You tell the rep you've already tried multiple times to do the various things they suggest, and then the rep replies it must be your computer. The rep will just refer you to another dept. when you point out that if it was your computer, the speed would be slow all the time and would not affect other computers you have.

I do know that SBC DSL customers living/working in other areas do not have this problem or, if they do, it is far less frequent. I suspect it has something to do with the number of available circuits or server capacity for this area.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is anyone using Comcast, and if so, is it "fast"? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Post by Guest »

i have comcast high speed...very fast! 3x faster than dsl! they gave me a package of $57/month for 4 months which include digital plus cable and high speed internet.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

It sounds like you have a good deal for those 4 months. Do you self-install, and, if so, was it fairly straight-forward? Did you have SBC before Comcast?

Unfortunately, Comcast was not yet available in the area where I live when we renewed for another year with SBC back in January of this year. The connection speed has never been reliable but still a better alternative to dial-up.

It may be worth paying the early termination fee to SBC and switching to Comcast. Funny thing, though, when I last went to the Comcast website a couple of weeks ago, it said Comcast was not yet available in Am Can.
maygoddess

No problems with my SBC

Post by maygoddess »

We have had SBC Yahoo DSL since we moved to Amcan almost 2 years ago and it is pretty zippy. My parents really do have dial-up service and you cannot even compare the two as far as speed.

I don't notice any hangups or slowness and I am a speed freak(hate waiting for page loads)

Do you have a new computer? That may be part of the problem is your computer. My parents have such an old computer, it can;t even handle DSL so they stick to dial up until they get a new computer.

When we lived in Petaluma, we had AT&T cable(before it turned to Comcast) and we had more problems with cable than we do DSL. It seemed to disconnect alot and we would have to reset it more.

Post by Guest »

Wireless DSL is available in American Canyon as well. I have had wireless DSL for about 20 months now and it has been excellent - very fast and very reliable. Visit http://www.deepbluewireless.com/dbw_locations.html and click on "Residential Wireless DSL".

BTW, switching from SBC DSL to Yahoo DSL isn't going to help you. If your phone-line based DSL is slow, it's probably due to your distance from their central office or your phone lines themselves. The wireless DSL solution comes to your home via a small antenna on your roof, and the source of the Internet connection is a highspeed business DSL line which is broadcast wirelessly throughout the city.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

Thank you for the suggestion and website link for wireless DSL. Definitely another option to consider. I was not aware it was available in Am Can. Funny thing is since I posted this, the SBC DSL speed has consistently been fast to very fast---go figure! I hope it continues, but it's nice to know they're (SBC) not the only game in town.