After School Programs

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
gloprincess

After School Programs

Post by gloprincess »

There is a great need for organized after school programs for the elementary age group. Napa Junction and Canyon Oaks [new school] have made the decision not to have after school programs. More organized programs need to be implemented through the American Canyon Boys & Girls Club or another source. Any thoughts parents?

Programs

Post by Guest »

Just a clarification Napa Junction School did not decide to close it's after school program. There was not enough support/enrollment to keep it open. Big difference!

Post by Guest »

However, the "support" moved to the new school Canyon Oaks, which is the issue here where there is no program.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Tutoring program for kids

Post by Paul Maguire »

With regard to an afterschool program, I am working on a program with Applied Scholastics that I planned to introduce later this year.

Briefly, Applied Scholastics is about learning "how to " learn for school age children. It includes courses such as how to use a dictionary, communication is fun, study skills. and so on.

The statistics of schools that have implemented it, show fantastic results in test scores and comprehension.

Just figuring out now the best way to implement it. whether to go directly to the school district, or to do a afterschool program, or to do some other way. perhaps show it to parents to use at home, or do a seminar format on the information.

The need is great for after school programs, and the best ones are the ones that keep children interested, and where they actually learn new things, and have fun doing it. The greatest gift ever is the student who becomes self sufficient in study, with skills to find his or her own answers, and knowledge to sort it out for themselves, and actually "get it'

Of course, the side benefit is good grades, and happy parents....along with children who have self confidence and certainty, knowing, they know HOW to know.

Programs

Post by Guest »

Just another clarification:

All the after school children did not enroll at the new Canyon Oaks. A letter twice was sent out in back-paks asking if parents needed after school care/program, the school district also sent out a letter asking parents to come to a meeting (evening) to see what they needed. Both came back with extremely low numbers. If you need programs you must let the school district know now. Not the day before school starts or even worse after school is in session. Budgets are being cut, money is being moved around. When we see that the Napa Junction is less than 1/4 filled and its costing a lot of money to staff etc... good decisions are made to close it.

BTW how much are you willing to spend on a good after school program, some parents expect it to be free and to have the already burdened tax payers pay for their childrens daycare. Entitlements etc...

Playgroups by "Parents"

Post by Guest »

I don't really get why "parents" feel the city, Boys & Girls Club, or school district need to be the ones that provide all these structured programs. Why don't parents get together and create their own form of play/educational fun for the elementary kids after school?

Post by Guest »

I have done the necessary to establish the need for an after school program with the District and have been told to seek the Boys and Girls Club of American Canyon as an alternative. I have recently relocated to the Canyon Oaks Elementary School district.

My job reimburses me for child care so cost is not an option to me at all. I work full time, evening hours, and I need an after school alternative this is the main reason I have posted my query.