Cell Phone Trouble?

This forum is to ask Questions about our city. Are there any simple questions other residents could answer? Are you new? Issues concerning our city should only be posted in the General section, this is for simple questions and answers, allowing "guests" the ability to quickly post without having to go through registration.

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Keep topics to simple questions about American Canyon. Anybody may post in this forum. Thank you.
Erin

Cell Phone Trouble?

Post by Erin »

Is anyone else having signal problems with AT&T Wireless. I recently bought a house on Chaucer Lane and cannot get much of a cell signal once I pass Elliott. So I cannot get reception in my house but if I drive around the block it's fine. A month ago things were ok, but now it's back to barely a signal. I do not want to give up my number due to my business ... AT&T just gave me a credit on the latest nokia phone ... any other ideas?
Lisa

Same with Sprint Service

Post by Lisa »

I live near the Community Center and I'm experiencing the same problems with Sprint.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Check out the fine print on your contract, there are pockets of areas where you may not get a signal and they briefly mention this. Try other cell phone companies (borrow your friends' phones) to see if they work, its probably just AT&T.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Yeah! I have AT&T Wireless and have trouble getting a signal. It says i have a strong signal yet it doesn't work. You just gotta walk through the house until the phone actually can send and recieve calls.. The are only 3 or 4 spots that work in my house.. Good Luck
M. Foust

Post by M. Foust »

I think it's the general area. I have tried Verizon, Cingular and now ATT and they're all very weak. Don't know the remedy, but one would sure be nice.
patty

Post by patty »

I talked to Nextel engineer back in Sept/Oct of 2002 when I 1st started to work from home and used my Nextel phone for business. I get so-so reception in my upstairs area and almost none downstairs..it is spotty in the development as well(Chesapeake.
When I called Nextel about the problem, they sent an engineer out to the tower. He said that the tower is up on a hill and with minor "tweaking" could be better pointed down in our direction BUT he couldn't just go out and tweak it..it involved going through city planning and getting it approved or whatever the beaurocratic process is. They said they would work on it but nothing has changed now almost a year later. I think we need to get to city hall here and talk to the city manager about this issue more. Maybe that tower tweak would help us all down in the Flosden area.
Patty
Patty

Still having cell phone trouble??

Post by Patty »

Hey anyone out there even checking these boards....who is still having cell trouble?

I am in the cheseapeake development off Flosden and since we moved in here in 2002, cell service is pretty weak here. As Imentioned in my initial post down below, I did contact Nextel. We have also tried AT&T and a few other carriers from friend's phones. Some pockets of the house get signal upstairs but downstairs the phone is dead.

I did just get an email back from the city of amcan. I finally wrote them yesterday and got a quick reply back. They said they did have nextel come by once to tweak the tower and they in turn lost their internal wireless cell signal!

I asked if there was a "bigger picture" plan for this since this seems to be a problem over carriers around here. Since this town is growing and more new homes coming in, perhaps a new cell tower closer to town rather than over the hill near vallejo(where I believe the closest one is) should be addressed.

Where is everyone experiencing the problems?
Juan1060

Cingular Wireless buys AT&T Wireless

Post by Juan1060 »

I live in the Bella Terra community and have AT&T Wireless GSM service. Starting in mid April, AT&T now allows its customers to use the Cingular GSM Wireless network free of charge on most plans. Before, I would barely get a signal in AC and would lose the signal completely once I was inside my house. The Cingular signal is a lot stronger than AT&T's in AC so now I am able to place and receive calls without a problem, even inside my house.

Post by Guest »

I live on Chaucer lane too and my signal is bad at times and then at times you have great signal. With my cell I can go upstairs and get Cingular and come downstairs and have Att wireless. My signal is getting worse though since the merge and hear I thought it would be better as they say.

Signal

Post by Guest »

I live in Montevino and have a good strong Sprint signal. On the other hand the moment I go past the community center/middle school the call completely drops. I do not get any coverage on Wetlands Edge unless I go in a few blocks.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Theres also two types of networks, Digital and Analog. Digital was rushed in and isnt entirely widespread. If your phone is capable, switch it to analog and use a different network. I know with mine, some areas I cant even get anything because the digital network isnt there yet, but if I switch to analog mode it works fine. When you buy a phone, it will always work in their cell phone store because they strategically placed it in an area where their signal is strong, dont buy one until you've tested it around town! Blame the phone company for rushing technology in and not having it all done! :evil: And if you have Bluetooth turn it off until they work on it more, its buggy and easy to get viruses with. :shock:
Last edited by Issa on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Lousy cell service in AC

Post by Paul Maguire »

Just another one of those important little things, like providing water, sewer, and power, is cell service.

THe good news is Rick Hess is working on raising the cell tower over on his property, which should improve service for the customers who use his service.

However, the Waterton area has very bad service, which needs to be addressed. Also, the service in Montevino is sketchy at times.

This is just unacceptable. Just another thing that needs to be handled that is not on the radar screen.

Cell service is an important infrastructure utility that AC needs to update and improve by working with providers and giving them what they need to get AC residents what we need.

Post by guest »

The cell service here is atrocious, calls drop all the time here. We need better service.