Attempted Break In

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Colleen Levine

Attempted Break In

Post by Colleen Levine »

Someone attempted to break in to my home via a front gate on Monday, December 10, between 10:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m. I believe this happened earlier, rather than later, as when I spoke to the two officers who responded to my call they said someone HAD been broken into a few blocks away between 10:30-2. I should have asked what street it happened on, but according to one of the officers, if we were to draw a line from my house to where the other happened, it was a straight shot. (Rio del Mar runs behind Cassayre just off Hwy 29 if you are not aware of the area, and he was pointing in that direction.)

Our street is very well-traveled. This occurred during the day, and the attempt made through a gate facing the street in clear site. Quite brazen, for lack of using other words!

I believe they were stopped by my rotweiler who was there to greet them. They got the gate broken to the point of opening it about six inches, and had full access with another push or two of the table. It all must have been making quite the noise between the wood braking, and then the gate and the rod iron table moving against the pebbled-cement in that area of the yard. Again, quite brazen of them. But luckily they did and it got her attention and she was on it. (And I thank my neighbor Ralph for coming over and nailing the you-know-what out of the gate so it’s strong again, albeit nailed completely shut, which works for me right now.)

I wanted everyone to be aware that this has happened and ask that they please keep their eyes out for themselves as well as their neighbors. If you see something that doesn’t look right, make a call. It could save a family from heartache and feeling unsafe in their own home - or uncomfortable leaving it because they have to go to work. And perhaps one of the officers reading this could please fill us in with the street the officer had been referring to that had the break in. I completely feel for that household as I know I did not sleep well at all last night thinking about it, and I was the luckier one.

Also, I have a question for the ACPD regarding dogs vs. a trespasser:

Someone told me that if a person breaks in - I consider this coming over your fence line, not on an open front yard area - and your dog hurts them and you do not have a BEWARE OF DOG sign posted, you are liable for their injuries. Is this correct? Do all dog owners have to have that sign posted to avoid litigation?

On my property you can see my dog when it comes to the rod iron gate, which is apparently something this person(s) did not do and came directly to the side gate. This does tell me that they were not scoping out my home as my dog makes herself known if you are in front of my home and she does not know you. I have never posted one of those signs because she’s usually in plain site in the courtyard where her bed is, and if they didn’t see her and decided to make an unwelcomed visit over the fence, that’s their own stupid fault. But I want to cover my backside as this could be one of those totally backwards protecting the criminal clauses that dog and property owners should be aware of.

Thanks!
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Attempted Break In

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Sorry for the damage to your house. As for the dog, I do not know of any Penal Law that says you have to have the signs, but what you are talking about is Civil Law, which police officers don’t have much experience with. We deal with mostly criminal violations, not civil violations such as getting sued because your dog bit a burglar. But why not buy a sign or two? Can’t hurt for outsiders to know you have a dog back there and that they should be cautious around you house...
Colleen Levine

Post by Colleen Levine »

Thanks Officer Brownlee!
I do plan on posting the signs. It wouldn't hurt. Just curious still on the law so if any one in the civil law field that can answer that previous question, that would be interesting to know. Also...ACPD: Can you let us know what street the other incident happened on so we are aware?
Thanks again,
Colleen

Post by Guest »

Joan at Los Altos I think, been a couple months though... ACPD Brownlee
dcramer
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by dcramer »

Well, my buddies house got broke into over in Vallejo. he's off Columbus parkway and Redwood. Pretty nice house. Well, the guy got his garage door opener out of my buddies truck and opened the garage! Came into the house even! My buddies wife woke up and thought it was her son. She decide to get up only to find someone running out of the house and out of the garage. Cops came and told him there has been ALOT of break ins and from the people they've caught they know its gangs in the area. With american canyon being pretty close, just thought id share it. Lock your house up, if you have an alarm, set it!! he's in what id call a relatively nice area, just goes to show you that there are bad folks everywhere.