INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY SCAM

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY SCAM

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

This week we received noticed of another lottery type scam coming from outside of the United States. The scam is a typical lottery scam, which states you have won a large sum of money; however you must cash an attached check, send them the money to pay tax, import fees and such on your large winnings, before you receive the large amount.

This particular scam is more threatening because the letter and check sent to the victim bears the Wal-Mart logo and the logo for Publishing Clearing House. The use of these two logos lends the victim to believe they have actually won a lottery from these two major companies.

The announcement has an enclosed check for $3,890.00. There is an instruction letter telling the winner to cash the check, and then send the money to Nova Scotia Canada via money gram or Western Union.

The transfer is then used to pay your fees and taxes so that you can get “YOUR BIG PRIZE”. The only prize the winner receives is a returned check and the loss of the transferred amount from their bank account.

If you, your family or a friend receives this notice, please do not cash the check, it is NOT a valid bank account. Please call your local Police Department to report the incident. As always if you have any questions regarding lottery announcements, please feel free to contact your local police department, the District Attorney, or the California Lottery Commission.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

I get types of these all the time in my email. If you get an email one make sure you forward it to the abuse department. For example if the email came from bob@yahoo.com forward it to abuse@yahoo.com.

Also if it comes from bob@yahoo.com but says "email bob@aol.com for more information", forward it to abuse@aol.com instead.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Sorry Issa, I mustn't have been clear about the type of announcement. The letter is a traditional letter and with it is a check payable to the "lottery winner". The check and letter of course are frauds.