Speeding on Carolyn Drive

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Speeding on Carolyn Drive

Post by allstar04 »

Due to the increased traffic on 29, I have noticed there are more and more people using the Napa Junction turn off to cut though town. This has caused an increase of cars that speed down Carolyn Drive especially from the last stop sign on Los Altos and Carolyn to the end of Carolyn. There is a dip in the road at Carolyn and Amarillo but it does nothing to slow down traffic. I have counted at least 20 children that live on Carolyn in the block between Los Altos and Amarillo. What can we do to slow down the cars? Is it feasable to put a stop sign in at Carolyn and Amarillo? What about Children at Play signs? I have seen safety signs at Toys R Us that can be put out to alert drivers of children in the area. I am just really worried that someone is going to get hit.

Post by Guest »

Same thing us true on Cassayre. When you hit our street from Rio del Mar, there is a bend that causes many drivers to ride the gutter when turning it because they are speeding and really not paying attention to what is further ahead of them. If the potential accident wasn't so scary, it would be comical as you watch the looks on their faces when they all of a sudden almost run up on a car that happens to be parked there. (Although we all tend to avoid that whenever possible.) Waiting for many cars to go by before anyone can back out of their driveways is frustrating - and we just may be the smallest street in American Canyon! I watch them blow the stop at Rio del Mar/Los Altos and sometimes have to wait for a half-dozen cars to cross my driveway before I can exit it. If they had stopped, I could ease out. How do we go about having certain streets looked at? I know there were officers over by Napa Junction Elementary several months back stopping people for not making complete stops. Letters? Petitions? Park in front of my house and watch them - they won't even see you there...
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Speeding on Melvin Road

Post by ConcernedMom »

This is also true of Melvin Road. In order to get out of my driveway in the mornings I have to back in -- or I will never get out in time. Not to mention the speeding that takes place! -- The last couple of mornings I have seen the police present and and been kept quite busy, but the really scary time is after 4pm when people are heading home from work, they scream down Melvin Road. I watch them fly right through the stop signs at Cassayre and the one on Poco Way.
ACPD Matlock
Wanderer
Wanderer

Speeding commuters

Post by ACPD Matlock »

I just wanted to let everyone know, the problem is a concern of ours at the police department, as well. Personally, I try to provide traffic enforcement in the afternoon commute hours (4-6 p.m.) in those areas where commuters are getting of the highway and going through the residential areas. Mainly, they are using Theresa Dr., Los Altos Dr., Cassayre Dr., Melvin Rd., James Rd., and Danrose Dr. Over the past few weeks, I have made a number of traffic stops and written tickets for violations, mainly speeding and not stopping at stop signs. Also, I know the motorcycle officers work the same areas in the morning commute hours.

It is not against the law to use a public street, but we are trying to let commuters know the dangers of violating the traffic laws, especially through residential areas. Most are just trying to save time by not sitting in traffic, when in reality they may save 1-2 minutes, if that.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your time Officer Matlock. I have noticed a motorcycle officer in the late afternoon when I come home quite a bit in the last week, which is great as I feel less people have driven down Cassayre this week than for quite a while. Coincidence...I think not! This will keep people on the slow side for a while as they will remember where he's been sitting and look for him - and never know when he'll be there or not. (It seems to have helped at Napa Junction Elem., as more people now appear to make complete stops after the ACPD's presence was there a few months back.) And perhaps if they see the ACPD on these highly travelled surface streets during commuter hours, they will just stay on the highway. It's one thing to get off and come over a couple/few blocks to get home - I have done it myself. But many continue all the way through - sometimes to AmCan Rd. As someone who commutes to Mill Valley everyday, I empathize with them. And as you mentioned, it's absolutely legal, but whatever we can do to perhaps make it less comfortable for them and be able to get our neighborhood(s) back would be nice. Colleen
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

YES, THANK YOU

Post by ConcernedMom »

I also want to say thank you to Officer Matlock and the rest of the traffic officers. I have seen the extra presence and am happy to see the effect it is having on our residential streets. Yes, Hwy 29 can get quite frustrating at times - and yes, I know all the "back roads" -- so I also understand those who are taking the detours, just want them to be aware of and abide by the traffic laws.

Thank you American Canyon Police Officers!!!
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by allstar04 »

Thank you for responding to this post. I know that you and your fellow officers are doing everything you can. I appreciate all that you do. However, my original question was not answered. Is it feasable to put a stop sign in at Carolyn and Amarillo? What is the process to petition for one? What about putting up Children at Play signs? I have seen safety signs at Toys R Us that can be put out to alert drivers of children in the area. I have lived on Carolyn Drive for six years and the traffic has just gotten worse. From the last stop sign at Los Altos and Carolyn, it is a straight shot to Donaldson. We have alot of children in our neighborhood and we are only two blocks or so from an elementary school. I don't want to see anyone get hurt.
ACPD Matlock
Wanderer
Wanderer

stop sign

Post by ACPD Matlock »

Allstar04,
As far as the question regarding the stop sign placement, the best place to start would be to contact American Canyon Public Works, I believe the division you would ask for is either called the "Roads Dept." or "City Streets Dept." Just tell them you would like to inquire about getting a stop sign at the location. There is a process for them to look into it before they just put a stop sign in. They look at traffic volumes, traffic patterns, etc.

Officer Jeff Matlock
American Canyon Police Department
Patrol / K-9
Officer J. Matlock #121
American Canyon Police Department
Patrol / K-9

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the heightened patrol on the above-mentioned streets!! Speaking as a resident of Cassayre specifically, I notice it in the late afternoon - and a neighbor mentioned yesterday how the mornings have kept you all quite busy there as well. We are grateful! Colleen

Re: Speeding on Carolyn Drive

Post by guest »

i just want to thank all of you above. i am using all of your opinions in a college report i am doing on this very topic.
again, thanks!