Gadwall Park

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Curious Resident

Gadwall Park

Post by Curious Resident »

Does anyone know what happened at the park this morning. There was firetrucks, ambulance and police there this A.M.. Neighberhood has been quiet until now. Hope it wasn't something criminal to worry about. If it was an accident I hope everyone involved is ok.

Post by Guest »

My friend was hit by a car while he was jogging. He is in very serious condition in ICU and his family could really use your prayers. He is in Santa Rosa Memorial with broken ribs, a collapsed rib, broken vertibre, and bruising on the brain. He remembers his wife but not what happened. Please pray for him. He is a wonderful father and husband and friend. His wife is a teacher at Donaldson Way..

Post by Guest »

Sorry - I meant a collapsed lung from the broken ribs...
ConcernedMomofAC

Post by ConcernedMomofAC »

Curious - so sorry to hear this! -- We will keep them in prayer. Please keep us posted on his condition.
Curious resident

Post by Curious resident »

I hope he is recovering and doing well. My families prayers are with him and his family.

Post by Guest »

I am adding a broken ankle to his list of injuries, but the good news is that he will get better. It may take a while, but he is expected to be ok. Thank God. I understand that the woman who hit him from behind, didn't see him. I guess the morning sun blinded her and as joggers do, he was running in the street. She stopped, called 911 and waited with him. It looks like this was just that, a terrible accident. Makes you more aware when you are driving in the morning or in the evening, that sun really can be a hazzard. Be safe everyone.
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

I am glad to hear the jogger is doing better and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Along the lines of the above poster... Winter is moving in and I wanted to remind everyone to give themselves a few extra minutes so their windshileds have defrosted before driving in the cooler mornings.

Take a few extra minutes to be safe, but dont leave your cars unattended and running. This proves time and time again to be too tempting for theives. Last winter several cars were stolen while the owners were inside their house.

Mark Brownlee
American Canyon Police
Curious

Post by Curious »

I was told this morning that he may be able to come home this week! He'll be in a wheelchair, but at least he'll be home! YEAH! I have to say, I can't imagine how that young woman(the driver) felt after that accident. Say a prayer for her too.

Post by Guest »

I overheard that the driver was a 16 year old girl and she had other /another teenager(s) in the car with her. Can one of the officer's respond to that? I have a 16 year old about to drive and I know that you can't have other teens in the car without a parent. Unfortuantely, this will be a lesson as to why this law is in effect...
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Since the collision is still under investigation I can not discuss the details.

I have included the section that outlines the provisions of a new driver's license restrictions.

Provisional License for Minors: Distinctive Driver's License
12814.6. (a) Except as provided in Section 12814.7, a driver's license issued to a person at least 16 years of age but under 18 years of age shall be issued pursuant to the provisional licensing program contained in this section. The program shall consist of all of the following components:

(1) Upon application for an original license, the applicant shall be issued an instruction permit pursuant to Section 12509. A person who has in his or her immediate possession a valid permit issued pursuant to Section 12509 may operate a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, only when the person is either taking the driver training instruction referred to in paragraph (3) or practicing that instruction, provided the person is accompanied by, and is under the immediate supervision of, a California licensed driver 25 years of age or older whose driving privilege is not on probation. The age requirement of this paragraph does not apply if the licensed driver is the parent, spouse, or guardian of the permitholder or is a licensed or certified driving instructor.

(2) The person shall hold an instruction permit for not less than six months prior to applying for a provisional driver's license.

(3) The person shall have complied with one of the following:

(A) Satisfactory completion of approved courses in automobile driver education and driver training maintained pursuant to provisions of the Education Code in any secondary school of California, or equivalent instruction in a secondary school of another state.

(B) Satisfactory completion of an integrated driver education and training program that is approved by the department and conducted by a driving instructor licensed under Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 11100) of Division 5. The program shall utilize segmented modules, whereby a portion of the educational instruction is provided by, and then reinforced through, specific behind-the-wheel training before moving to the next phase of driver education and training. The program shall contain a minimum of 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind-the-wheel training.

(C) Satisfactory completion of six hours or more of behind-the-wheel instruction by a driving school or an independent driving instructor licensed under Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 11100) of Division 5 and either an accredited course in automobile driver education in any secondary school of California pursuant to provisions of the Education Code or satisfactory completion of equivalent professional instruction acceptable to the department. To be acceptable to the department, the professional instruction shall meet minimum standards to be prescribed by the department, and the standards shall be at least equal to the requirements for driver education and driver training contained in the rules and regulations adopted by the State Board of Education pursuant to the Education Code. A person who has complied with this subdivision shall not be required by the governing board of a school district to comply with subparagraph (A) in order to graduate from high school.

(D) Except as provided under subparagraph (B), a student may not take driver training instruction, unless he or she has successfully completed driver education.

(4) The person shall complete 50 hours of supervised driving practice prior to the issuance of a provisional license, which is in addition to any other driver training instruction required by law. Not less than 10 of the required practice hours shall include driving during darkness, as defined in Section 280. Upon application for a provisional license, the person shall submit to the department the certification of a parent, spouse, guardian, or licensed or certified driving instructor that the applicant has completed the required amount of driving practice and is prepared to take the department's driving test. A person without a parent, spouse, guardian, or who is an emancipated minor, may have a licensed driver 25 years of age or older or a licensed or certified driving instructor complete the certification. This requirement does not apply to motorcycle practice.

(5) The person shall successfully complete an examination required by the department. Before retaking a test, the person shall wait for not less than one week after failure of the written test and for not less than two weeks after failure of the driving test.

(b) Except as provided in Section 12814.7, the provisional driver's license shall be subject to all of the following restrictions:

1) Except as specified in paragraph ( )1 (2), during the first ( )2 12 months after issuance of a provisional license the licensee may not do any of the following unless accompanied and supervised by a licensed driver who is the licensee’s parent or guardian, a licensed driver who is 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor::

(A) Drive between the hours of ( )3 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.

(B) Transport passengers who are under 20 years of age. ( )4

(2) A licensee may drive between the hours of ( )3 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. or transport an immediate family member without being accompanied and supervised by a licensed driver who is the licensee’s parent or guardian, a licensed driver who is 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor, in the following circumstances:

(3) A licensee may drive between the hours of 12 midnight and 5 a.m. or transport an immediate family member without being accompanied and supervised by a licensed driver who is the licensee's parent or guardian, a licensed driver who is 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor, in the following circumstances:

(A) Medical necessity of the licensee when reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary. The licensee shall keep in his or her possession a signed statement from a physician familiar with the condition, containing a diagnosis and probable date when sufficient recovery will have been made to terminate the necessity.

(B) Schooling or school-authorized activities of the licensee when reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary. The licensee shall keep in his or her possession a signed statement from the school principal, dean, or school staff member designated by the principal or dean, containing a probable date that the schooling or school-authorized activity will have been completed.

(C) Employment necessity of the licensee when reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary. The licensee shall keep in his or her possession a signed statement from the employer, verifying employment and containing a probable date that the employment will have been completed.

(D) Necessity of the licensee or the licensee's immediate family member when reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary to transport the licensee or the licensee's immediate family member. The licensee shall keep in his or her possession a signed statement from a parent or legal guardian verifying the reason and containing a probable date that the necessity will have ceased.

(E) The licensee is an emancipated minor.

(c) A law enforcement officer may not stop a vehicle for the sole purpose of determining whether the driver is in violation of the restrictions imposed under subdivision (b).

(d) (1) Upon a finding that any licensee has violated paragraph (1) ( )5 of subdivision (b), the court shall impose one of the following:

(A) Not less than eight hours nor more than 16 hours of community service for a first offense and not less than 16 hours nor more than 24 hours of community service for a second or subsequent offense.

(B) A fine of not more than thirty-five dollars ($35) for a first offense and a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for a second or subsequent offense.

(2) If the court orders community service, the court shall retain jurisdiction until the hours of community service have been completed.

(3) If the hours of community service have not been completed within 90 days, the court shall impose a fine of not more than thirty-five dollars ($35) for a first offense and not more than fifty dollars ($50) for a second or subsequent offense.

(e) A conviction of paragraph (1) ( )5 of subdivision (b), when reported to the department, may not be disclosed as otherwise specified in Section 1808 or constitute a violation point count value pursuant to Section 12810.

(f) Any term of restriction or suspension of the driving privilege imposed on a person pursuant to this subdivision shall remain in effect until the end of the term even though the person becomes 18 years of age before the term ends.

(1) The driving privilege shall be suspended when the record of the person shows one or more notifications issued pursuant to Section 40509 or 40509.5. The suspension shall continue until any notification issued pursuant to Section 40509 or 40509.5 has been cleared.

(2) A 30-day restriction shall be imposed when a driver's record shows a violation point count of two or more points in 12 months, as determined in accordance with Section 12810. The restriction shall require the licensee to be accompanied by a licensed parent, spouse, guardian, or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older, except when operating a class M vehicle, or so licensed, with no passengers aboard.

(3) A six-month suspension of the driving privilege and a one-year term of probation shall be imposed whenever a licensee's record shows a violation point count of three or more points in 12 months, as determined in accordance with Section 12810. The terms and conditions of probation shall include, but not be limited to, both of the following:

(A) The person shall violate no law which, if resulting in conviction, is reportable to the department under Section 1803.

(B) The person shall remain free from accident responsibility.

(g) Whenever action by the department under subdivision (f) arises as a result of a motor vehicle accident, the person may, in writing and within 10 days, demand a hearing to present evidence that he or she was not responsible for the accident upon which the action is based. Whenever action by the department is based upon a conviction reportable to the department under Section 1803, the person has no right to a hearing pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 14100) of Chapter 3.

(h) The department shall require a person whose driving privilege is suspended or revoked pursuant to subdivision (f) to submit proof of financial responsibility as defined in Section 16430. The proof of financial responsibility shall be filed on or before the date of reinstatement following the suspension or revocation. The proof of financial responsibility shall be maintained with the department for three years following the date of reinstatement.

(i) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, the department may issue a distinctive driver's license, that displays a distinctive color or a distinctively colored stripe or other distinguishing characteristic, to persons at least 16 years of age and older but under 18 years of age, and to persons 18 years of age and older but under 21 years of age, so that the distinctive license feature is immediately recognizable. The features shall clearly differentiate between drivers' licenses issued to persons at least 16 years of age or older but under 18 years of age and to persons 18 years of age or older but under 21 years of age.

(2) If changes in the format or appearance of drivers' licenses are adopted pursuant to this subdivision, those changes may be implemented under any new contract for the production of drivers' licenses entered into after the adoption of those changes.

(j) The department shall include, on the face of the provisional driver's license, the original issuance date of the provisional driver's license in addition to any other issuance date.

(k) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Brady-Jared Teen Driver Safety Act of 1997.

Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 760, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.
Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 1035, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1, 2001.
Amended Sec. 13.5, Ch. 758, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 768, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 337, Stats. 2005. Effective January 1, 2006.
The 2005 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
1. “(3)”
2. “six”
3. “12 midnight”
4. “During the second six months after issuance of a provisional license the licensee may transport passengers under the age of 20 years between the hours of 5 a.m. and 12 midnight without supervision. This driving time restriction may not modify or alter any local ordinance that restricts or prohibits cruising during specified proscribed hours. However, the restriction imposed under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1) shall continue to apply during this period. (3)”
5. “or (2)”