ON GUARD

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

ON GUARD

Post by mattbb61 »

There is a new face in my neighborhood, and I have a hunch this person is a recent parolee. Said person is not listed on the Megan's Law database, so is apparently NOT a sexual offender. How would I go about verfying a possible parole status of this individual?
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

I am sorry to hear you feel this way about your neighbor; however a person who is on parole has the same protection to their privacy as any other citizen. You have referred to Megan's Law. Sexual predators are the only exception and their privacy is still protected, unless they meet certain criteria. Criminal History can only be obtained through legal channels and is intended for use only for employment purposes. Releasing information such as offender status that has been learned through legal methods can result in civil and possible criminal prosecution.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH

Post by mattbb61 »

Yes, me too… It is really aggravating to observe a new face who continually shows strange behavior for a grown adult; whose arrival coincides with stolen items out of neighborhood vehicles (this HAS been reported); Call it my neighborhood-watch sense; His are the behaviors we have come to expect from those who seek to prey on our neighborhoods, where our homes are, and families live, where we’ve sunk a considerable amount of money into a house, and continue to do so monthly.

I understand the legal aspect of what you posted, and it’s a real pity too. We law abiding citizens should have the choice, (nay, RIGHT) to that information, as it is our hard earned tax monies which prosecute (and in most cases helped defend) and incarcerate the criminals of our society. I think their crimes ought to follow them for the rest of their lives, but I’m outnumbered by ACLU defence attorneys. What irritates me is continually hearing time and again about SO many parolees who commit more crimes, get sent back to prison, but absolutely NO punishment is awarded for the parole board members who allowed the predators back onto our neighborhoods in the first place. Definitely an issue which should be addressed someday.

Thanks for all the work you guys do in catching those criminals; we DO appreciate your efforts!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

ANOTHER PAROLEE GOES WALKABOUT

Post by mattbb61 »

Here is exactly what I was speaking of:

"A brief break for freedom" By MARSHA DORGAN, Register Staff Writer
Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

An inmate from the state department of corrections medical facility in Vacaville escaped from a work crew at Napa State Hospital early Friday morning.

However, Jerry Sigman's freedom was short-lived when he was spotted by Stockton police officers later the same day, driving a stolen car. The officers made a traffic stop on the vehicle Friday afternoon. Sigman, 36, was taken into custody.

Around 8:30 a.m. Friday, state correctional officers noticed Sigman was missing from his work detail. They found the jumpsuit he was wearing, but he was no where to be seen. About 30 people from the state department of corrections and Napa County Sheriff's deputies searched the hospital grounds and surrounding areas with the California Highway Patrol helicopter circling above.

The department of corrections brings inmates over in a van and they do landscaping and other projects at Napa State, sheriff's Capt. John Robertson said.

Details regarding Sigman's arrest in Stockton were not available on Friday afternoon.

Sigman was admitted to the Department of Corrections June, 20, 2005, for a parole violation. He was scheduled to be discharged December 2008. He was originally convicted of second-degree robbery in 1999.