Traffic issues at Donaldson Way Elementary

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Traffic issues at Donaldson Way Elementary

Post by allstar04 »

Can anyone tell me what is being done to solve the traffic issues at Donaldson Way Elementary School? People continue to drop off childern along the fire lane which slows down the people who are trying to drop off their children in the correct area. I don't know how many people I see park in the the "NO PARKING" area next to the handicap parking area. It is very frustrating ](*,)! I have not see the traffic patrol out on Donaldson and Amarillo in quite a while. There also used to be a gentleman in a security uniform who would stand along the fire lane in the mornings. I haven't seen him in a while either. At the rate it's going, I think it is just a matter of time before someone is injured. Something really needs to be done.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

I have been extremely upset at the traffic at Donaldson Way for more than a year now. I have done everything in my power to have either the school or the police dept do something. I am the one who stormed into the office after having almost been hit at the stop sign leading from the inner parking lot into the outer parking lot. The cops were there for a short amount of time, but it's right back to the way it was... I guess it's gonna take one of the kids getting hit to GET IT! When it does, watch out. The ranting and raving woman will be me. I have also had a problem with the ice cream trucks, have you seen how many gather after school? That creates major problems with the cars getting out onto Benton and the kids pooling around the parking lot from DWS and ACMS. I have tried, but I can't complain alone. GO TO THE OFFICE and tell them your concerns. Also call the City about the Ice cream trucks. Let's make our school safe for everyone!
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by allstar04 »

I and other members of my family have complained to the office. With having to deal with 500+ students, the staff in the office have little time to respond to traffic issues. I would really like to see some sort of police presence, especially in the mornings. Yelling out my window or honking my horn does not seem to get the message across. Could a community service officer be utilized?
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

The problems at Donaldson Way are not being ignored by the police. We are aware of the problems and continue to work with the school district and parents to try and resolve these issues. The two traffic officers and the Community Service Officers are trying very hard to be at the various schools on a rotational basis. Drop off and pick up are also problems at American Canyon Middle, Napa Junction and Silver Oak schools, along with the crossing for the children at Flosden and American Canyon Road.

Honking, yelling and getting angry is not going to help with the problem, only understanding and patience will. Please be patient, and if you know you are going to be dropping off, give yourself a few extra minutes so that you won’t be rushed to get your child to school.

As for the Ice Cream trucks. We are currently working on that problem and hope to have it solved soon....

As always, feel free to submit emails regarding traffic complaints to me at the address listed on my profile for this site. I often use the complaints of citizens in Traffic Court as to why I issued a citation for the violation(s) I observed.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

Well, it was really encouraging to see the police officer at the school on Monday morning. I think you're right, that hopefully a rotating schedule of police tending to the schools traffic and stop sign issues will help relieve the situation. I'll cross my fingers... Thank you-
allstar04
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by allstar04 »

Officer Brownlee, thank you for your response. Yes, I agree that having patience is best in this situation. I do think I have a fair amount of patience. I also do my best every morning to leave with plenty of time to get my son to school. However, it gets very frustrating when every morning I am having to wait behind a car who decides to stop in the fire lane to drop off his or her child and then waits to see if they make it to class, all the while holding up the rest of us who drop off our children in the appropriate area.

I know that you all are busy and doing the best job you can. I understand that Donaldson Way is not the only school with traffic issues. I appreciate all of your hard work in trying to resolve the issues. I am very glad to hear that there is a rotating schedule and hope that it will make a difference not just at Donaldson Way but at all of the schools.

Thank you again for your response.