Legal Age for Child Left Home Alone

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Vintage Ranch Resident

Legal Age for Child Left Home Alone

Post by Vintage Ranch Resident »

With all that has happened in the news lately. I would like to know the legal age that a child is able to be left alone. I tried doing research myself on this topic and it seems that every county is different on how strict the mandated rules are.

Your information is appreciated and of interest to me because I am looking into opening up an after school program in my home.

Thank you!
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

California Law does not list any certain age for minors as being the limit for taking care of themselves. The law is written that it can be applied to various circumstances, such as a child who may be young in years, but mentally and socially very mature, versus an older child that may be, due to health or mental limitations, not as advanced and able to care for themselves or sibling(s).

The law, at its most basic meaning, is the act or action does not shock the general public. If you feel leaving the child home alone may be dangerous, then don’t leave them. You may also speak with Napa County Child Protective Services to learn more regarding this subject. They can be reached at (707) 253-4261.

Post by Guest »

Actually, a child under the age of 10 left alone is considered dangerous and if that child gets hurt you could be in trouble with the law as well as CPS.

After age 9 it is pretty much the childs ability that determine if he/she can be left alone. Remember one 12 year old is not the same as another 12 year old.

A mentally handicap 12 year old does not have the same ability as a non-mentaly handicap 12 year old.

It is for the parents to determine if it is safe to leave their child home after 9 years of age.