Car window tinting

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Car window tinting

Post by Issa »

I just bought a new car and I called around to get the windows tinted. I was told you cant have any tint whatsoever on the front side windows or the police will stop you and give you a fix up ticket. Is this true? I see cars with front side window tints all the time though. Whats the deal?
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.

Post by Guest »

That is true. I have always tinted all windows on my cars and was pulled over once, got it written off and paid my bucks. I currently have my front windows tinted very light as to not draw attention to my car and so far so good. Technically it is against the law but most police officers are cool about it. They have a lot more important things to do that give you a ticket for tinted windows. I believe the reason is that they have to be able to SAFELY look into your vehicle during routine traffice stops. If all windows were pitch black, some looney could be sitting there w/a gun and... "do you know why I pulled yo....." blam!! Police officer gets shot.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Well I didnt take any chances and just got the special UV tints on all my windows to protect the leather. I wanted it darker but oh well, looks less ghetto this way.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Issa,

I put the actual Vehicle Code section in here for your own reference... The meaning of the section is if you tint your windows, you must have two outside mirrors and no tint can be applied to windows to the left or right of the front seats, since this could block the driver's veiw at night. It is a "fix it ticket" if a citation is issued.

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any
transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of
any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the
light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except
as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.
(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the
glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United
States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and
(2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those
standards for the particular type of glass used.