Motorized scooters, pocket bikes, etc…

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
wired911
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Motorized scooters, pocket bikes, etc…

Post by wired911 »

Lately I’ve noticed several children riding these motorized scooters, pocket bikes, etc… down the middle of the streets. Some are gas powered like the 2 cycle gopeds, but most are electric. I know there selling these things everywhere now, but I can’t believe any responsible parent would buy one, let alone allow there unsupervised child to drive down a city street. I’m posting this because of what I witness the other day in front of my home, a young boy maybe 5 or 6 riding a pocket bike down the middle of the street with a younger little girl on the back and holding baby in his arms! As first I couldn’t believe what I was seeing! This is insane and really seems to becoming a trend here, even in the public parks I’m seeing this type of activity. I’ve also had some very close calls when coming home from work. Is this legal? What can be done?
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Wired911....

You asked about two different things... First what are the laws concerning motorized scooters and pocket bikes.

These two forms of transportation are different things. Motorized scooters are the type you ride standing on and looks sort of like a skateboard with handle bars and a motor (either gas or electric)

They have laws that govern who can drive them, where and how. To put it in the Reader’s Digest version, you must: 1) Must have a brake. 2) Can not be operated on a street that has a speed limit more than 25 MPH unless the street has a bicycle lane (this would be Am Can Rd, most of the newer streets). 3) Must wear a bicycle helmet & fastened. 4) Must have a valid driver’s license or permit. 5) No PASSENGERS. 6) Must keep one hand on handlebars. 7) Can not operate on sidewalk. 8) Handlebars must be at or below shoulder height. 9) Do not leave blocking sidewalk path. 10) Attach to any other vehicle (As in towing the scooter/rider).

Pocket bikes are generally the small motorcycle looking toys which are sold all over. ALL of these pocket bikes are ILLEGAL….. No exceptions. Legally they must fill the same requirements as a full size motorcycle, but they can not since they are made in a fashion that does not conform to California's Codes regulating motor vehicles. They do not have the proper turn, stop and headlights, reflectors, tires, brakes, metal fuel tank, they are not sold with a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and can not be registered. The vehicle must be insured and you need a motorcycle license endorsement to operate these on public streets/pathways parking lots.

Second, you asked what could be done. Generally, when the officer sees a violation we will stop and issue a citation for the noted violations. If you notice a violation, please call our office at 648-0171 and try to provided some general description and the direction last seen. Do not confront the operator on your own, just “be a good witness” and let us know where they were last seen and what they looked like.