Towing Questions

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Towing Questions

Post by Issa »

Dear ACPD. I have a few towing questions. I've recently read about a few new laws for the state of CA too.

I am aware that if you parked in violation on private property, the owner or representative from that property must be present while your car is being towed, is this correct?

Also, I wanted to clear some myths up, is it true if you leave your blinkers on you wont get towed? Or how about leaving somebody in the car? In what situations would a towing be forgiven if any.

Finally when do the police come in, I have seen apartments where people just park in the fire lanes and nobody does anything. Is that because its private property and these fire lanes are not regulated by the city?

Obviously a lawyer would be best to answer some of these questions but nonetheless I would like to know what input you can provide. Thanks.
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Issa,

You have asked some good questions, and I will try to answer them as best I can, keeping in mind I am not speaking for every officer in the state when I say some of this....

As for private property, it is the responsibility of the property owner to tow the vehicle off their property. We can assist them in locating a tow company for the removal if they request, but we will not remove a vehicle from their private property if that is the only reason for the removal. Stolen vehicles and other instances involving criminal matters do not apply to this since we can seize it as evidence in criminal matters or coroner investigations, and of course pursuant to a court order.

Leaving a vehicle with the blinkers on usually wont make a difference to the removal if it poses a safety hazard, blocking the traffic lane or other instance. If I came across your car in a tow away zone and there was a licensed driver in it, I would try and have them move it if possible or get the driver to move the vehicle. But usually a citation will be involved here, unless you have some valid reason such as a mechanical or medical issue and you HAD to park in the tow away zone.

As for an apartment complex, they have rental agreements, which usually state they can remove vehicles abandoned on their property, or they will facilitate the removal on their own without law enforcement assistance.