18 and over drivers

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee, ACPDWarrington

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.

18 and over drivers

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:25 pm

I would like to know if you have a child 18 or over that lives with you and you let them drive a vehicle that is registered in the parent's name, if they were in an accident would the parent be held responsible?


Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:58 am

This is a question that needs some clarification... If they are over 18, then they are considered an Adult for legal purpopses....

As an adult, If you let them borrow your car, they crash it, they can receive a citation, but your insurance will pay for the cost if they were at fault for the collision. Who pays your deductable is up to you.... Also you may want to speak with your insurance representative, some companies will not cover adult drivers unless they are included as a part time driver on your policy.

People seem to get sued for just about anything these days, so for me to say you wouldn't be included in a list of civil suit defendants is unreal.


Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:17 am

Thank you for your response. This maybe more of a legal question but I'm going to assume that the vehicle that is registered in the parent's name may need to be reregistered under the adult child's name to protect the parent from any lawsuits.

User avatar
ACPD Brownlee
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:56 pm
Location: American Canyon Police Officer

Post by ACPD Brownlee » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:09 am

That's a real good legal question - one of which I have no answer for..... This is something to discuss with your attorney or insurance rep...

Post Reply