Bicycle Safety

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Bicycle Safety

Post by Melissa »

I just had a suggestion or wondered if this exists...a bicycle safety course for kids. With the growing community and all, I just wondered if this would be an option the police dept or city would ever pursue. We teach our kids the best we can here in our streets, at the parking lot at the school, etc. but there is way more to it. There are laws we don't really know about and it would be vital to share this with our kids... I bring this up because I took my daughter on vacation this week to a place that all you do is ride your bike from place to place. And she had a hard time yielding to oncoming traffic, etc and yes, I can explain it to her and I did, but it would be wonderful to have a course on this.
Obviously we need something, or other families might find themselves in the same situation Larry and Lori Luporini were in a few months ago when their son rode into an intersection and struck a car. That just scares the daylights out of me.I am not sure who to contact on this, but what do you all think?
ACPD Brownlee
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ACPD Brownlee »

Melissa..... Give us some time on this one, asking about starting a program is not something that can just happen over night, but I wanted to let you know we saw this and will let you know when we have an answer....
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

I would never have expected this to happen over night. Thanks for your reply- 8)
ACPDRochester
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Bicycle Safety Course

Post by ACPDRochester »

I am currently working on a Bicycle Safety Rodeo for the children in American Canyon. The Sheriff's Office hosted one down here many years ago. I am working with the Deputies who hosted the last one and working with some different companies to make it a fun filled day. I am hoping to have something set within the next couple of months.

I am trying to make this a day of promoting bicycle safety but also make it a fun day with some food and entertainment. I will keep everyone informed and provide details when they come about.

Rochester
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

That's awesome! I would be more than happy to help in any way I could...
ACPDWarrington
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ACPDWarrington »

While we are on the subject of bicycle safety I would like to remind all of the parents out there that anyone under 18 years old is required to wear a bicycle helmet when riding a bike, skateboarding, rollerblading, scooters, ETC.

I do and will write tickets for this as I feel they save lives. I was there for Dante Luporini's accident. He was wearing his helmet and it saved him from much more severe injuries.
a/c Resident

Post by a/c Resident »

How about 18 y/o and older? Are they supposed to wear helmet too? And if they donot, will they get ticket?
ACPDWarrington
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ACPDWarrington »

a/c Resident, if you are 18 years old you are not required by law to wear your helmet. How ever if you are involved in a accident you will be glad to have had the helmet on. I personally wear my helmet when riding my bike. It sets a good example for my kids as I hope they will wear there's after their 18.